• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine questions and Miss Pip

She generally looks very relaxed flopped on the floor or sprinting around the room at speed. She only sits still when she sleeping during the day. She was pulling her fur for 3-4 days then she wouldn't do it for another 5 weeks.
However 5 weeks ago we took her to the vets as she started pulling again and wanted them to see the bald patch. The vet decided to try ivermectin to rule out mites. Since then she has pulled her fur nearly every day and she had a gassy tummy after two weeks rather than 5.

I don't know if she just had a reaction to the ivermectin or it's just coincidence.

We are very confused what to do next. She currently is stuffing her little face with hay like a normal bun!

Sorry forgot to add. Don't think she's spotting a lot. I just noticed it yesterday, today there's no spotting. She pees more on her blanket just before the pulling episode starts so I can see it.

Nicky has given you really good advice :)

Yesterday I dropped off a sample for my vet to test, and next I shall do as Nicky suggests and get X-rays done to check whether there is any sludge.

You may not be going down that route, but it will be good to have an answer to the question of whether there is UTI or sludge in the bladder.

Something might help you here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/calcium-reading-case-study/

Nicky has given you really good advice :)

Yesterday I dropped off a sample for my vet to test, and next I shall do as Nicky suggests and get X-rays done to check whether there is any sludge.

You may not be going down that route, but it will be good to have an answer to the question of whether there is UTI or sludge in the bladder.

Something might help you here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/calcium-reading-case-study/
Yes thanks to you both. We decided to not take her anywhere today with it being a hot bank hol. She is likely to get gassy soon and I don't want to add the stress of a vet visit. I can ring them next week and see when they think is best to bring her in. They said 2 weeks last time.
I want her to get over this episode first.

We're going to continue the crab apple for now as it isn't hurting and just in case it is obsessive behaviour.

Mightymax let me know what your results come back as. Fingers crossed your by is ok!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Yes thanks to you both. We decided to not take her anywhere today with it being a hot bank hol. She is likely to get gassy soon and I don't want to add the stress of a vet visit. I can ring them next week and see when they think is best to bring her in. They said 2 weeks last time.
I want her to get over this episode first.

We're going to continue the crab apple for now as it isn't hurting and just in case it is obsessive behaviour.

Mightymax let me know what your results come back as. Fingers crossed your by is ok!

Ah yes, the crab apple - I have made a poultice of that before now, very effective :)

Than you for your good wishes - I shall let you know what happens :wave:

Ah yes, the crab apple - I have made a poultice of that before now, very effective :)

Than you for your good wishes - I shall let you know what happens :wave:
She certainly seems to like drink her crab apple water! She's lapping it up now as I type this. I just let them out for a run and she's been sprinting at full speed around the room. It's like having a cheetah in here.

She certainly seems to like drink her crab apple water! She's lapping it up now as I type this. I just let them out for a run and she's been sprinting at full speed around the room. It's like having a cheetah in here.

:lol: Bless!

Mervinius you know your bun best so you know when is the right time to take Miss Pip for more tests. She sounds a fun bun and in good form right now :)

Max sorry your wee bun has urine problems :( did you get the centrifuge results back ??

Mervinius you know your bun best so you know when is the right time to take Miss Pip for more tests. She sounds a fun bun and in good form right now :)

Max sorry your wee bun has urine problems :( did you get the centrifuge results back ??

No :roll:

I am wondering whether it's still in the fridge and any moment someone's going to ring me and tell me it's too old now and they need another one :lol:

I'm very surprised it has taken them so long as I am sure you r too. It's a quick test to do, yes I would be waiting on a call for new sample . Hope ur vet isn't too far away. Hope your bun isn't too uncomfortable in the mean time. (Would still love to hear your Prince story if you still wanted to share it x )

I'm very surprised it has taken them so long as I am sure you r too. It's a quick test to do, yes I would be waiting on a call for new sample . Hope ur vet isn't too far away. Hope your bun isn't too uncomfortable in the mean time. (Would still love to hear your Prince story if you still wanted to share it x )

My vet is about half an hour each way. I may give a call, but if it's not been centrifuged by now, then they will need another one!

Prince :love:

I am summoning up the courage to let you have that one :oops:

Thats a bummer. Hope they have already done it but firgot to ring u maybe. I'm sure it's a lovely story! but no pressure if you don't want to :)

She is certainly a fun bun. We just gave them a run and and down the stairs (their fav game!)

There's two more spots today on their blanket from while I was at work. Is spotting at all normal or does it mean something's going on?
d53091481277837ff7887409cf491af8.jpg
7cc92315c6215a0c5c0f933e6ba89327.jpg

No :roll:

I am wondering whether it's still in the fridge and any moment someone's going to ring me and tell me it's too old now and they need another one [emoji38]
Oh No! I'm sure they've done it but not called as it's a bank him weekend. Fingers crossed the phone on Tues x

Last edited:
Back