• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Beautiful Bramble - her story added

Oh Glingle, I am so sorry to hear that Bramble has left. :cry: Sending (((((Huge hugs))))) your way and I hope Parsley will be alright.
Sweet dreams, beautiful Bramble. xxxxxx

Bramble's story.
Back in 2007, I had two boys from the same litter, Flip and Flop. Very sadly when they were neutered Flip didn't survive the operation. This left Flop on his own and I looked on Rabbit Rehome to find him a new companion. I saw that there was a hobby breeder of Netherland Dwarfs in the same town as me who was giving up breeding and downsizing her rabbits. I contacted her and she said she had a young girl who she thought would be suitable. Mum and therefore arranged to go and see her. Bramble, who was called Amelia then, was in a very small breeder hutch block. The owner said that she gave each rabbit a turn in the run. I held you for the first time and Mum blurted out, "We'll take her!". Of course I had to agree. You were a poppet to hold. This was the photo that Mum took when I first held you.
nsg8U2C.jpg

We agreed to pick you up a week or so later when we had got some temporary housing sorted out for you. The lady was taking one of her other rabbits to the vets that week and I asked if she could take you to get your first vaccination. She agreed, but refused to take any money for it and she refused to take any money for you, saying she was glad that you were going to a good home.
When we bought you home, you were so pretty and dainty. You loved sitting out in the run at night, leading to Mum declaring that your full name was Bramble Starlight Amelia. I was away on placement when you were spayed, Mum and Dad looked after you and Mum loved you even more.
3Dmjfju.jpg

The time came to bond you with Flop.
FWP0HBX.jpg

You were like a Tasmanian devil! I knew that it was only because you had been on your own and didn't know how to speak rabbit fluently. You still managed to bite me through two pairs of gardening gloves though!
Eventually, you realised that having another rabbit to talk to was a good thing and you became Flop's faithful companion. You were nearly always snuggled up with him. If not you were always in sight of him. I'm sure you were amazed by how fluffy and long his ears were compared to yours!
lO8QmMI.jpg

I graduated and eventually got a job 50 miles away and for 5 months whilst I only came home at weekends, Mum looked after you both. When I moved into my house you moved from your hutch and run into a custom made shed and run, and I met my husband who made them because of you both. Mum came to help clean out every weekend, under the pretence of helping me because of my dodgy neck. We both knew that it was really so she could play with you whilst doing so!
GvcDXJr.jpg

DErl2Qu.jpg

You needed a few dentals doing as you got older and had quite a few episodes of stasis. We realised that by cutting vegetables out of your diet reduced this hugely. All the vets loved you. You were so placid and easy to handle. You used to splat yourself down on the table for strokes. You even let the vet take blood from you whilst you were fully conscious. The vet brought you back in the room kissing and cuddling you after that. You took your medicines so perfectly. Sat still and letting me out the syringe in your mouth and swallowing rather than doing the other side of the mouth dribble! You even put up with being weighed on the kitchen scales.
4XhxMIO.jpg

You loved sunbathing and sprawling out in the sun and I loved seeing your little white tummy.
q9TaEV4.jpg

You told me when you wanted to be cuddled. You'd usually run away to hide, but sometimes you'd just sit there and let me pick you up and cuddle you.
Unfortunately when you were almost seven, we had to say goodbye to Flop. You really missed him and so I looked for a new companion for you. I found Parsley on the Rabbit Forum. He'd been handed in as a stray to Notts Nibblers. It was meant to be. One of the girls that ran the rescue had a boyfriend who came Lancashire and he was visiting home just at the right time. We picked Parsley up on a Sunday evening. We had decided to wait until the Friday to introduce you so that I could be around. As a temporary measure we set up the emergency run inside your run as it was too flimsy if any predators were about and popped the temporary hutch inside.
Mum came to house sit for a delivery in the week and decided to try and get you to interact by poking some hay half in Parsley's side and half in your side. You decided you weren't sharing and sat on the hay so Parsley couldn't pull it through to him! You and Parsley made friends through the bars though, you'd follow him about and sit next to him.
We brought to both into the kitchen to bond. I popped you both into the litter tray filled with hay together and that was it. Within an hour you were relaxing next to Parsley.
QBjOyT6.jpg

Nz6N6Ng.jpg

You and Parsley continued to be close. You were usually snuggled up to each other.
You were full of mischief. You would bound around the run, give a little head shake and I could see on your face that you were wondering what chaos you could cause. Often poking Parsley on the bum to play or demanding to be groomed. You still loved being outside and would often camp out under the step in the run whilst it was raining, rather than go inside.
You slowed down over the last few months. You no longer hopped inside to get your fenugreek crunchie each morning as you realised that we would bring it to you instead. I thought you were going to leave us a few weeks ago. You sat out in the rain to tell me that your tummy was sore. We saw the emergency vet on Saturday evening, I held you and your head flopped to one side. You fought back though and by the Monday you were back to your cheeky self.
You spent your last day snuggled up to Parsley in the run and were your normal adorable self. I went to to give you breakfast the next day and found you asleep forever in your favourite spot, out of the way in the shed. Mum and I are heartbroken that you left us aged 10 years and one month, but are so glad to have shared your life. Sweet dreams little one, we'll take good care of Parsley for you xxx
6R5VfLQ.jpg

What a lovely story, she's had an amazing life :love: and how lovely that you met your husband through having their shed built :love:

Back