• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing - what does your rabbit live in?

Thanks Bertie for the link, I realised I've already got a ferplast cage (rabbit 80) that I got Mr Bump when he was a baby which he quickly outgrew.

I think the dog cage sounds like the best idea :)

Lynn said:
I really like the plastic three drawer unit that you have in their bunnyroom. Like your buns, Rob has his own bunnyroom, and I keep all his things i.e food, medicines, brush, wipes etc in a cupboard outside his room. That plastic unit would be perfect for storing these sorts of things.

Yo Lynn - Robs another spoilt little bunn then eh!! - :lol: :lol: - so nice to hear this side of things to the usual unloved unwanted bunny stories.

The plastic unit I got in the Sale at B & Q - but it is brill - as the top bit has sectioned bits in it which is great for keeping sterile stuff and medicines. The bottom ones are quite deep which is great for sprays and brushes etc.
Hope this helps.

Bunny hug to Robs - another much loved Bunny - yipeeeee :wink:

Oh dear it looks like I'm a bad mum for having my buns outside!
Don't you pampered house buns dare tell my two about your lives of luxury, or I'll be in for it! lol
Having a house bun is great because they really become part of the family. My last bun, Pepe, was a house rabbit for the last six months of his life and I loved having him around. He loved it too because he thought he was one of the cats lol, in the morning he'd line up with the cats for breakfast to be served. When he died, I was lost without him :(
Unfortunately my hubby found Pepe's fur to be rather irritating making him sneeze constantly, so my new buns were bannished from the house.

Currently my buns have a large hutch outside which they share at bedtime, which is anywhere between 10 and midnight. During the day their time is spent in a large pen in the garage. I have access to the garage from the kitchen so I pop in and out fairly frequently to give them attention :)

Next week we are having a lot of work done to our garden, and I am hoping to have some kind of bunnyvilla built soon after. I've been looking at lots of kids play houses and quite fancy one for the buns, with a large play area attached. Who knows, I may even get the boys a girlfriend each next year! lol

Oh and bunnytales you are inspiring me to decorate my garage just for the buns. Oh my husbands gonna love this! LOL :lol:

My indoor rabbits just have a large dogbed full of hay in the kitchen. They are never shut in a cage.

The outdoor rabbits all have 5 by2 by 2 hutches placed in large runs; they have the hutch doors open during the day unless the weather is dreadful.

The other two live in the shed, again loose, no cage except that they have two open ferplast cages to hop in and out of, which have other cages on top of them for the guineas.

IMO the ferplast 100's are not big enough for rabbits, except as a short term measure, but they are good for guineas, although they still need extra exercise too.

I have a double deck custom made cage, 5' long, 2' wide, 2' high. The "basement" is occupied by Benji and Pippa, the top part by Sunny.

Then I linked three of the dog crates you can buy in Argos, which makes a cage of 5 1/2' x 2 1/2' x 2 1/2'. That's Apollo's and Charlie's patch.

And Angel is currently in a 3 1/2' x 2' x 2' dog crate (this is temporary accomodation). Once she is bonded with Sunny, she will move into the big cage too.

In the cages, they have towels and a litter box.

Vera

~Lisa~ said:
Oh dear it looks like I'm a bad mum for having my buns outside!

Oh and bunnytales you are inspiring me to decorate my garage just for the buns. Oh my husbands gonna love this! LOL :lol:

Hiya Lisa - Hey your not a bad bunny mum at all Gal!! - :wink: :)

I really think its how much time and love and consideration you give bunnies not necessary where they are housed - indoors or out -
It was brill that you worked on alternative accommodation for your bunns rather than give up as many folks do - My Cagney became a rescue bunn due to fur allergy in a child - which I do sympathise with as sometimes I guess there is just no alternative but to give the bunny up - but I'm glad it worked out for you - and it sounds like they have a grand outdoor dez rez to play in :)

Re the Revamped Garage - yep this works really well - as they almost have their own part of the house which gives them and us humans our own space - at the end of the day we all know they are furry little critters - this may well work for you if your hubby has an allergy as you can keep the coat hair contained in one area - it just so happened that with us moving the house was layed out really well in that the bunnies could run through the garage straight to the back Garden - and I SWEAR - this was not on the Criteria List when looking for our new home - HONEST - although MOH might tell you different.

Good luck with Garden Alterations and Hey "BUNNY VILLA" - I love the sound of that!!!!

~Lisa~ said:
Oh dear it looks like I'm a bad mum for having my buns outside!:

Lisa, my two also live outside as we're living in rented accommodation, but I normally bring them in a night (and often they don't go back til the morning) and then at the weekends I let them ru round the garden.

Thanks to the nasty foxes in the area I can't risk putting them in a run unsupervised as the fox has already ripped one of the pens out of the wall where it was attached! Am at my wits end with it (the fox that is!)

Rather than have an obvious cage sat in the corner of the room I bought a second hand tall boy cupbaord for £15 and converted it into a bunny home for my two. The bottom floor has their litter tray and food and the next two floors up are carpeted for sleeping. One floor is a jump up and one has a ramp - did it all myself with a jigsaw, 'no nails' and a good coating of water proof varnish.

I also put decorative grating panels in the doors for some light and air and drilled other air holes in the back. It even has a draw at the top to keep bunny things in.

I will try and get a picture scanned in if you are interested. Can't claim the idea though, I copied it off Adele.
Tina

Kip lives in a 4 story hutch as she was on her own for a bit and Buster is in her old cage at the moment (the ones from Pets@home were about £50 - the 4 star one was from Seapets (only in Colchester and Ipswich I think) and was about £110 but I don't think you could fit 2 buns in there!

I am off soon to B&Q to get all I need for a big run taht we are putting in the spare room, 6ft x5ft with enough room for them to run around and have a partition in it till they are fully bonded (getting better and better together) then they will have both cages in there and have a huge run that they can be in all day then in the lounge with us for a few hours at night and weekends.

With love

maria

ive been looking to get a bigger cage for my bunny. He only goes in there when im out or asleep but the ferplast one i have i dont think is big enough now. Those of you who use dog cages.. how do u keep all the hay/sawdust etc from spilling all over the floor??
Chris

I am also looking at getting a dog cage, what I want to know is what size should I go for, for 2 bunnies -one been a french lop? **make that 2 french lops **

I plan to use vetbed/fleece or a towel in the base.

The biggest I've found on ebay is 50x30x33, or 48x29x34 and comes with some bedding -fleece I think.

Gosh, those rabbit cages are tiny - it almost looks crawl. My Toby is currently living in a rabbit cage but spends most of the time out. I am looking to get him a new "bigger" home when we move. We are looking to buy our own house within the next few months, so Ill see how much space I have then. But as someone has asked before If I wanted to buy a dog cage what size should I be looking at for 2 bunnies? Toby is fairly big himself.

I live in a flat in the City of London so no garden. I have however a large sheltered balcony which I have given over to Dubbs, its all his! I have placed a hutch at one end so he has somewhere to chill out if he wants. I have strewn hay and straw across the floor and he has some Fiddlesticks to jump about on. He also has a litter tray at the other end of the balcony, he ignores this though and does his business just to the side of it :roll: When he wasn't ill I used to to take him down to the communal gardens for a run.

lindac said:
I live in a flat in the City of London so no garden. I have however a large sheltered balcony which I have given over to Dubbs, its all his! I have placed a hutch at one end so he has somewhere to chill out if he wants. I have strewn hay and straw across the floor and he has some Fiddlesticks to jump about on. He also has a litter tray at the other end of the balcony, he ignores this though and does his business just to the side of it :roll: When he wasn't ill I used to to take him down to the communal gardens for a run.

Lucky Dubs, sheltered from the eliments and gets fresh air. Has your balcony got a wall or railings? If it's railings, best get them totally secured with weld mesh or similar otherwise he might try to squeeze through. Also remember rabbits can jump extraordinarily high and will use things to climb and jump up on (ie, boxes, hutches etc) to reach further up. I know of someone locally who's wee bun jumped off the balcony, it was very sad.

its a walled balcony, the wall is about 3.5 feet high, then it switches to a couple of horizontal railings. he has lived out there for about 6 years now. as yet he hasn't made the jump (thank god, i live 11 floors up!!!). i dont think he will be doing any highjumps soon due to his health. he does like chasing the pigeons away though :)

My two live in the hall under the stairs (and neither is called Harry Potter ;) ).

When I just had Zeus he was originally going to be a house rabbit then he went through the bunny teenager stage and nibbled through my husbands speakers :roll: so we built a huge cage in the garage but he got very lonely and hated being away from us (and I missed him). When he got ill I moved him back into the house as he needed meds twice a day and somehow he never made it back out into the garage again ;) . Then I got Athena to join him.

They live on a rubber backed mat I got that covers most of the floor area under the stairs (we haven't got a cupboard under there), with their litter tray/hay supply one end and some cardboard boxes/carry case the other side for them to play in/on. I used to put a dogbed there but Athena preferred the soft cushions to the hay and turned it into her litter tray so I had to remove it to encourage her to use the proper one again.

Zeus can't walk on the laminate flooring very well so restricts himself to dashing between the mat under the stairs and the kitchen where he copes quite well on the old lino (usually these dashes coincide with the sound of the fridge or back door opening). Athena however can walk perfectly well on it but chooses to stick to the mat area unless with Zeus. Sometimes when she wants a time out from him she will walk just out of reach and sit on the laminate as if daring him to try and get her!

They used to have free range in the garden as well when we were around until the neighbours got a rather inquisitive cat. I have had to put them in a run now constructed from green wire netting to protect the cat more than them, as little Athena lived up to her name and chased the poor thing off the first time it came to see what these strange cat-like animals with long ears and short tails were! Zeus however is terrified of the cat and hides behind Athena whenever it is about. They sadly don't get as much running space in the run but at least my plants are protected as well now.

Caz

Back