• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Izzys going to the vets later

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've been told there's a good chance Izzy has arthritis and I've been giving her a joint supplement but I've noticed she struggles with one of her back legs sometimes, and in the last 24 hours I've noticed she's not using the ramp, or at least I've not seen her use it so I think it's time to get her looked at again. Her appointments at 5

I've been told there's a good chance Izzy has arthritis and I've been giving her a joint supplement but I've noticed she struggles with one of her back legs sometimes, and in the last 24 hours I've noticed she's not using the ramp, or at least I've not seen her use it so I think it's time to get her looked at again. Her appointments at 5

I hope that the Vet can help her to feel more comfortable xx

I hope that Izzy got on well at the vets. My elderly doe has Arthritis and has a daily dose of Metacam, which appears to help.

My bridge bunny Inca had arthritis / osteoporosis in her back and legs. She had a Glucosamine and Chondroitin supoplement daily, but was also on daily Metacam. It deffo did help her. She also got Acupuncture, which did help a bit, but I am not sure exactly how much!

I'm not sure what bedding your bunny has, but a nice soft vetbed can help them feel more comfortable.

Good luck x

Thank you everyone, I'm a bit suprised after our vet visit. The vet thinks there's a chance it could be e.cuniculi, or possibly a problem with her spine. He's given me panacur and metacam and has said he can send her off for scans but to do the course of panacur and try the metacam and see how she goes for now. She's bedded on woodshavings as neither of them are litter trained but I have some blankets dotted around the hutch which should be more comfortable. Her hutch has a ramp in it that goes down to the run and I'm wondering whether this will do more damage?

Thank you everyone, I'm a bit suprised after our vet visit. The vet thinks there's a chance it could be e.cuniculi, or possibly a problem with her spine. He's given me panacur and metacam and has said he can send her off for scans but to do the course of panacur and try the metacam and see how she goes for now. She's bedded on woodshavings as neither of them are litter trained but I have some blankets dotted around the hutch which should be more comfortable. Her hutch has a ramp in it that goes down to the run and I'm wondering whether this will do more damage?

I dont think I would want her to be using a ramp given that your Vet has not yet ruled out a spinal problem. So I'd try to re-organise her accommodation so that she still has adequate space but that it is all on one level.

If Izzy lives with another Rabbit he/she will need to be treated with Panacur too. This is because EC (if that is involved) is spread by spores shed in an infected Rabbit's urine.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

Back