• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden aggression :-(

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
Hi everyone.

I have a thread (boy trouble) about trying to bond my two buns, both are male etc so I won't get into that.

Luther our new bunny who is kept upstairs currently will have been castrated 6 weeks ago this Friday. So last week and the week before I started putting Luther's wee in litter boxes downstairs. We have two young cat's so we currently have 4 trays downstairs and one in Truffle our first bunnies hutch. I started putting Luther's wee in the tray in the kitchen which is more where the cats sleep etc and it's next to a pet remedy diffuser so I hopped he would associate it as a good thing. After a few goes he didn't seem to notice/care so I started putting it in two of the trays in the living room which is more Truffles area, he still wasn't too bothered though he did get very interested and made sure he marked many times over the top.

So last week I brought Luther downstairs into the kitchen with me while I cleaned the bathroom with Truffle shut in the front room as he was just sleeping in his cardboard castle and he spent an hour or two with me and the cats. After I put Luther back upstairs Truffle was very interested in sniffing around the kitchen. He seemed ok just curious, after a while he did chase the cats once.

This weekend we thought we would let them swap "territories" because we are hoping eventually Truffle would be bored of this 'foreign' smell and we can start bonding with a barrier on neutral ground. I was downstairs with Luther and my other half was upstairs with Truffle and the cats. Both did exactly the same things, one or two thumps, lots of sniffing and exploring followed by chin scenting. After about 20 mins we swapped back. Luther didn't really seem bothered and after a sniff of his room he layer down and Truffle did the exact same back downstairs.
But throughout the evening he sniffed everything that Luther had been in or scented and he seemed fine but suddenly turns.... he bit me yesterday when I was tidying his hutch and if the cats move too fast or go near his hutch he chases and growls at them. It's been randomly carrying on since Sat and he's still seemingly in a grump today too.

I know it's going to take a long time to try and get used to each others smells especially with Truffle - he was the same when we first introduced him to the cats when they were babies and now they are best friends (usually). I don't know how to try and stop him chasing them especially after the event was a few days ago now, I just worry because unfortunately one of my 9 month old cats has a stress induced condition so I want to try and keep the peace as best I can. I don't know if for now I should just go back to putting Luther's wee in litter boxes downstairs because it was all a bit fast for Truffle?

I'm probably worrying too much!

It honestly sounds like referred aggression.
The smell of the other bunny is causing him to become territorial, because he can't "see off" this stranger bunny he's taking out his frustration on anyone else he lives with (cats & you).

Personally I'd stop mixing the locations etc as it's causing him some stress.
When you come to do bonding ensure its a 100% neuteral area where neither bunny has ever been.

Until this time, just keep up with the pet remedy and give your cats somewhere they can get away from the moody bunny.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The smell of the other bunny is causing him to become territorial, because he can't "see off" this stranger bunny he's taking out his frustration on anyone else he lives with (cats & you).

When you come to do bonding ensure its a 100% neuteral area where neither bunny has ever been.

Until this time, just keep up with the pet remedy and give your cats somewhere they can get away from the moody bunny.

Yeah I think you are right. He knows when we have been upstairs with Luther and sometimes he then chases the cats out of frustration bur he's never done it to me until yesterday so I think it was too much for him (although he did enjoy investigatin Luther's room). He's quite a spoilt child so I think it's hard to tell if he's just throwing a strop so we won't keep trying..... bunny behaviour is not my first language I must admit and I have never bonded before apart from Truffle to the cats.

Oh ok, so we were going to clear our spare room with a grate type divide as they have not been in there before and can have periods of time each day to see each other. So this might be better to get straight into rather than scent swapping?

The cats have lots of cat trees and high places, it it ok to just let him chase? I did try clapping my hands to stop him and let him know it's not ok....but to be honest he's quite bomb proof and not bothered by much!

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it :)

Yeah I think you are right. He knows when we have been upstairs with Luther and sometimes he then chases the cats out of frustration bur he's never done it to me until yesterday so I think it was too much for him (although he did enjoy investigatin Luther's room). He's quite a spoilt child so I think it's hard to tell if he's just throwing a strop so we won't keep trying..... bunny behaviour is not my first language I must admit and I have never bonded before apart from Truffle to the cats.

Oh ok, so we were going to clear our spare room with a grate type divide as they have not been in there before and can have periods of time each day to see each other. So this might be better to get straight into rather than scent swapping?

The cats have lots of cat trees and high places, it it ok to just let him chase? I did try clapping my hands to stop him and let him know it's not ok....but to be honest he's quite bomb proof and not bothered by much!

He should calm down once the scent swapping has stopped. So long as cats can escape from him I wouldn't be too worried.

In terms of the room, check your other thread but I recommend side b side 24/7 in the split with daily swapping.

I think scent swapping may actually wind them up as each Buck will become frustrated at being able to smell another Rabbit but not be able to see them.. I think when you put the Bucks next to each other it would be best to keep the Cats well out of the way as their presence may complicate things even more.

This link may be useful to read

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

DP has given you some very good advice, and I agree :D

There's also a really good thread started by a Forum member here;

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...How-I-do-rabbit-bonding&p=6934868#post6934868

I think scent swapping may actually wind them up as each Buck will become frustrated at being able to smell another Rabbit but not be able to see them.. I think when you put the Bucks next to each other it would be best to keep the Cats well out of the way as their presence may complicate things even more.

This link may be useful to read

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

Thank you for your advice and the link, that was really useful to read.
I never understand the cat carrier trick, I envisage putting one in then as soon as the other goes in they would scrap.

I think as has been suggested, the best way for ours is going to be the slow approach as this gently gently approach seemed to work with Truffle and the cats after a few months.

Thanks again :)

Yes DP has and I'm feeling more hopeful and confident now. I just stress over it not working out and having to give up poor Luther after I rescued him while working at the vets :-(

Thank you so much I really appreciate it, I will go have a read now!
DP has given you some very good advice, and I agree :D

There's also a really good thread started by a Forum member here;

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...How-I-do-rabbit-bonding&p=6934868#post6934868
Love to you both :) xx

Thank you for your advice and the link, that was really useful to read.
I never understand the cat carrier trick, I envisage putting one in then as soon as the other goes in they would scrap.

I think as has been suggested, the best way for ours is going to be the slow approach as this gently gently approach seemed to work with Truffle and the cats after a few months.

Thanks again :)

Do you mean this bit in the link?

Often a trip out together in a pet carrier before you begin will get the bonding process off to a good start. The stress of the unknown will generally encourage the rabbits to seek comfort in each other.

Some people find this a bit controversial, and 'stress bonding' as it's known has fallen out of favour of late :)

Often a trip out together in a pet carrier before you begin will get the bonding process off to a good start. The stress of the unknown will generally encourage the rabbits to seek comfort in each other.

Some people find this a bit controversial, and 'stress bonding' as it's known has fallen out of favour of late :)
Well spotted.

Generally I only ever advise the stress bonding as a last ditch attempt at a bond. (We ended up doing it with Daphne & Phoebe)

Well spotted.

Generally I only ever advise the stress bonding as a last ditch attempt at a bond. (We ended up doing it with Daphne & Phoebe)

Yes, I have also advised that to someone recently, to try and keep a bond that sounded like it was breaking down. In the 'old days' it was generally how we began the bonding process!

Yes DP has and I'm feeling more hopeful and confident now. I just stress over it not working out and having to give up poor Luther after I rescued him while working at the vets :-(

Thank you so much I really appreciate it, I will go have a read now!

Welcome :)

Yes that's the bit, I'm quite glad it's not as favourd now as it seemed a bit bizarre and I think if I did that it would just cause a huge brawl.
Plus Truffle isn't really scared of anything and even likes the hoover so he's not easily stressed haha!

Yes that's the bit, I'm quite glad it's not as favourd now as it seemed a bit bizarre and I think if I did that it would just cause a huge brawl.
Plus Truffle isn't really scared of anything and even likes the hoover so he's not easily stressed haha!

Yes, you have to use your judgement with all these suggestions.

I used to write articles for Rabbiting On and for R.S.P.C.A. leaflets about bonding rabbits, and I did a lot of research, and some of the ways people did it were fairly much eye-popping :shock::lol:

Yes, you have to use your judgement with all these suggestions.

I used to write articles for Rabbiting On and for R.S.P.C.A. leaflets about bonding rabbits, and I did a lot of research, and some of the ways people did it were fairly much eye-popping :shock::lol:

Oh dear that doesn't sound good, although I'm sure people probably have got the wrong idea about how to stress them together :-/
Im suprised there's not a bunny magazine like I get; your dog and your cat magazine....it would really help educate people, I was shocked working in the veterinary industry how little people know about bunnies and there care :-(

Thank you both for being so helpful x

Oh dear that doesn't sound good, although I'm sure people probably have got the wrong idea about how to stress them together :-/
Im suprised there's not a bunny magazine like I get; your dog and your cat magazine....it would really help educate people, I was shocked working in the veterinary industry how little people know about bunnies and there care :-(

I'm so glad there is this Forum :thumb: I've learned loads :D

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product-category/rabbiting-on-magazine/

https://bunnycreations.co.uk/collections/bunny-mad-magazine

Ah thank you so much! Will definitely be getting one of these, I had no idea, never seen any on stores etc.

Thank you :)

You can't get them in shops! I didn't mention Rabbiting On as it's the publication of the RWAF, and I thought you'd already know :)

You've a lot of reading to do now :lol:

Back