• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Solar outdoor lights

Casco

Mama Doe
I need a light for my back garden for going out to the rabbit shed in the winter. I have lived in this house for 15 years and still don't have a security light, despite my dad and brother both being electricians :roll: so I'm considering putting a solar light with motion sensor on the shed so it will pick me up when I walk towards the shed. Does anyone have one and do they actually work in winter when there's not much sun about? I had some solar fairy lights in the shed (until one lovely foster managed somehow to get to the cable!) and in winter there wasn't enough sun through the day to make them last any length of time once it got dark. The fairy lights came on once it got dark and stayed on until the power died whereas the security light will only be on when I'm outside, and the security lights have bigger solar panels but I don't know how effective they are. Bearing in mind I live in Scotland and the sun is rare in summer never mind winter, would I be wasting my money to buy one of the bigger solar security lights?

My MIL lives in North Scotland and uses solar lights.... they hardly ever work. If you do get one, consider finding one that has a battery back up too so if there isn't enough solar power, the battery will give you enough for while out there? x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The solar light in our shed is useless! It doesnt give me more than a few seconds of light before it switches off. I'm usually out there with a torch, unless I manage to get out early enough x

I have a solar motion detector security light on my shed . . . and it works great in summer but not so much in winter. :?

Hmm think I may have to harass my brother & dad a bit more for a proper light! I would also love power out to the shed so I can have a camera in there but that's never going to happen!

I have a rechargeable lantern which has been good for when I'm in the shed when it's dark but it doesn't really help much on the walk over to the shed.

We've got 3. The light isn't powerful but better than nothing. But in winter they don't work for long. Depends so much on what time you will be going out there though. Ours did work last winter for the early hours of the evening.

What they aren't good for is security lighting, as thieves don't tend to fit in when you've got ligting on! :lol:

Last edited:
I got a fantastic light off Amazon, solar powered with a remote-control and a cord to switch on and off. It works fantastic , the solar panel is placed on the roof of the shed. I would highly recommend it. I'm not sure where your from but it cost me £20.00 in the UK. It was so easy to put up and it is a god send for me. I have had no issues with it not working but i haven't been through a whole winter with it yet so I can't promise it will so fantastic then.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Back