• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny fighting - all quiet for now!

From my, very small, amount of experience, a small space doesn't suit every pair of bunnies.

When we bonded Simba and Tinkerbell we put them together in a massive metal panelled run in the garden. Nothing neutral, didn't realise you had to! He humped her a bit, she didn't care, and we put them together in the hutch and run combi on the night.

Maybe bonding in a larger space would suit them better? Just because the small space seems to be the "right" way to bond them according to most people on here, it doesn't mean to say that it works for all rabbits.

Just a thought, anyway.

I, too, am wondering about this! They did seem to do better once they had extra space - whether because they'd been together longer or because of the space, I don't know. I had just begun to think about opening up the rest of the flat to them, too, when this happened - if they'd behaved for a few more days, I was going to try letting them out further. The larger space has also been bunny-free for much longer. Monty used to have access to it, but it will have been almost three months now since he was last in there (he was in the current space right up to bonding day, though we did fully neutralise it before letting them out). The annoyance is that the only larger space is large. (It'll be about 20sqm of free floor space - and all the furniture's against the walls, so there's nothing to break up eg a fight in the way there is in the smaller space, where it's much harder for them to do any damage to each other).

We are fairly confident she was spayed - the fur around the scar was still growing back when we got her, and the owner showed us that - so about as sure as can be without a vet doing whatever they do to check :)

(Sorry for my rambling!)

Thank you for all of your advice everyone :) All of this is really helping - and it's really "carrying" me and helping me to keep it in perspective and keep a grip of myself. We are hoping for a better day today - fingers crossed, touch wood, everything else, so far, no major outbreaks - though apparently they did fight a bit last night in the bathroom before settling down.

I, too, am wondering about this! They did seem to do better once they had extra space - whether because they'd been together longer or because of the space, I don't know. I had just begun to think about opening up the rest of the flat to them, too, when this happened - if they'd behaved for a few more days, I was going to try letting them out further. The larger space has also been bunny-free for much longer. Monty used to have access to it, but it will have been almost three months now since he was last in there (he was in the current space right up to bonding day, though we did fully neutralise it before letting them out). The annoyance is that the only larger space is large. (It'll be about 20sqm of free floor space - and all the furniture's against the walls, so there's nothing to break up eg a fight in the way there is in the smaller space, where it's much harder for them to do any damage to each other).

We are fairly confident she was spayed - the fur around the scar was still growing back when we got her, and the owner showed us that - so about as sure as can be without a vet doing whatever they do to check :)

(Sorry for my rambling!)

Thank you for all of your advice everyone :) All of this is really helping - and it's really "carrying" me and helping me to keep it in perspective and keep a grip of myself. We are hoping for a better day today - fingers crossed, touch wood, everything else, so far, no major outbreaks - though apparently they did fight a bit last night in the bathroom before settling down.

It's entirely your choice which way you go! I'm sure that my more space wont be a popular suggestion but, when rabbits are used to a large space and are confined, I always imagine that it makes them very frustrated and annoyed. I know that when I tried putting Louie, who was entirely freerange, into a pen at night, he went mad, couldn't cope with the small space.

As I said, only my own view :)

It's entirely your choice which way you go! I'm sure that my more space wont be a popular suggestion but, when rabbits are used to a large space and are confined, I always imagine that it makes them very frustrated and annoyed. I know that when I tried putting Louie, who was entirely freerange, into a pen at night, he went mad, couldn't cope with the small space.

As I said, only my own view :)

I will certainly give it a think! I think it is fair to say that the space they have been in is too small for long-term. Whilst it was ok when it was just Monty, Ossie is huge and it suddenly feels much smaller! Add me working in it all day, and falling over them every time I move, and I can well imagine it could be a bit too small for them. I've been trying to be cautious - perhaps too much so. Thank you for your suggestion :)

Bunny fighting - about to give up 😞

Oh no I'm sorry to hear they've been fighting. [emoji17]It's so frustrating after things had been going so well.

About three months after they'd been bonded my pair started having absolutely ferocious fights. Like with your two, I had no idea what triggered it. I can't put across how bad it was. I honestly believed their bond had completely broken as they seemed to hate each other [emoji17]

After they were kept separate for a couple of days I rebonded them from scratch. For the first night I had to keep stepping in and separating them as they kept going for each other. It was a pretty difficult first night, more like performing an exorcism than a rebond! After they settled I started to slowly expand their space. There was still some tension for a couple weeks after they had full free range but soon went and they have been fine ever since.

That is just to give you some hope that even when things look really dire it is possible to repair a bond.

I agree with advice given above that it might be a good idea to rewind back to a neutral area and start again from scratch. I would also seriously consider Lily's suggestion that a large space might suit them better. When I started bonding for the very first time the area I used was tiny, which really aggravated Snoopy. On my gut instinct I made it bigger and he became a lot happier and engaged more in the bonding process.

Good luck, I really hope Monty and Ossie can work this out. I feel awful for you because I know myself how upsetting and frustrating this all is [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no I'm sorry to hear they've been fighting. [emoji17]It's so frustrating after things had been going so well.

About three months after they'd been bonded my pair started having absolutely ferocious fights. Like with your two, I had no idea what triggered it. I can't put across how bad it was. I honestly believed their bond had completely broken as they seemed to hate each other [emoji17]

After they were kept separate for a couple of days I rebonded them from scratch. For the first night I had to keep stepping in and separating them as they kept going for each other. It was a pretty difficult first night, more like performing an exorcism than a rebond! After they settled I started to slowly expand their space. There was still some tension for a couple weeks after they had full free range but soon went and they have been fine ever since.

That is just to give you some hope that even when things look really dire it is possible to repair a bond.

I agree with advice given above that it might be a good idea to rewind back to a neutral area and start again from scratch. I would also seriously consider Lily's suggestion that a large space might suit them better. When I started bonding for the very first time the area I used was tiny, which really aggravated Snoopy. On my gut instinct I made it bigger and he became a lot happier and engaged more in the bonding process.

Good luck, I really hope Monty and Ossie can work this out. I feel awful for you because I know myself how upsetting and frustrating this all is [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! :D That is very hopeful! Last night, I was about ready to give up - it really was just too awful, and I was worried it was going to end up making Ossie ill (she seems to be starting it by nipping or not letting him near her, but Monty is definitely being the much more aggressive of the two). Thankfully since being back in the bathroom they have calmed right down. Still some nipping, chasing, thumping and a little fur pulling, but no worse than when we first started to leave them alone together a couple of weeks ago. So right now I no longer think there is any need to separate them completely, which is a huge plus! Obviously there is still a big mountain to climb, but as long as they are still able to be together during it, I am just about able to cope with that.

I've spoken with my partner, and we are going to try and find something we can use to block off the kitchen, so that they can move there after a few days back in the bathroom to grow to like each other again. Monty's never been in the kitchen (well, I prodded him in once in the early days when I didn't know better, but he ran away again the second he could!) so it's another neutral space, and a bit bigger than the bathroom without being big, so we are hoping we can use that to try moving them. We would then open up the living room to them - that would be a big leap in terms of space (so I would want to see them really behaving well, lots of cuddling and love in the kitchen first, I wouldn't rush it) but it sounds like that might be a better option for our particular bunnies, and certainly might be worth trying.

I'm sorry it's been so challenging, when it seemed to be going so well. I can't offer any advice as it's not something I've experienced, but I wanted to wish you luck going forward x

Sorry have just skim read.

I would remove the shelf that one is sitting on in the bathroom.

Keep them in bathroom for a good few days after things appear fine between them, then move to new room but keep in small space similar to bathroom (and keep it empty), then after a few days in there I would make pen bigger and after a few days bigger again until they have the whole room.

Vivien

Last edited:
I hope it's been going better since you posted x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I am pleased to report that today is so far, so good thank you! (If I haven't just jinxed it...) Absolutely no disturbances at all - they have both been left alone, seem to be getting on well, have been seen (during using the bathroom at various times) to share food and treats and indeed the shelf and, if they aren't loved up and friendly yet, could almost be described as having been cuddled together. It's not quite back to how it was, but it is definitely a big relief!

Thank you to everyone who posted :) We have now set up the kitchen to receive them in a couple of days (if everything continues to go well). This is both a smaller step up than we tried before, and gives us better options for moving on after that - eg we can allow into the living room for short periods (when I am cooking dinner being a likely candidate!) but still restrict space most of the time, so we can build up slowly. And we can hear them from the sofa rather than having to sit in the bath for hours! :lol:

I am pleased to report that today is so far, so good thank you! (If I haven't just jinxed it...) Absolutely no disturbances at all - they have both been left alone, seem to be getting on well, have been seen (during using the bathroom at various times) to share food and treats and indeed the shelf and, if they aren't loved up and friendly yet, could almost be described as having been cuddled together. It's not quite back to how it was, but it is definitely a big relief!

Thank you to everyone who posted :) We have now set up the kitchen to receive them in a couple of days (if everything continues to go well). This is both a smaller step up than we tried before, and gives us better options for moving on after that - eg we can allow into the living room for short periods (when I am cooking dinner being a likely candidate!) but still restrict space most of the time, so we can build up slowly. And we can hear them from the sofa rather than having to sit in the bath for hours! [emoji38]
I'm glad things have gone well and fingers crossed it continues.
Good luck as well on the next step of bonding. There will be a little scuffling etc when they move but it's completely normal xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone who posted :) We have now set up the kitchen to receive them in a couple of days (if everything continues to go well). This is both a smaller step up than we tried before, and gives us better options for moving on after that - eg we can allow into the living room for short periods (when I am cooking dinner being a likely candidate!) but still restrict space most of the time, so we can build up slowly. And we can hear them from the sofa rather than having to sit in the bath for hours! :lol:

Progress :D

Definite improvement - if you sit in the bath all day you'll be like a prune!:lol:

More just hunched over and unable to move properly :lol: Still, sofa's not much better over long periods...

On the other hand, turning on the shower is, I can reveal, an excellent way of startling a bunny! I now have a secret weapon should they begin fighting!

Back