• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One Mean Bunny

Bert Hicks

New Kit
This spring I purchased two female sibling Mini Lop bunnies for my grandson. He named the brown one Cocoa and the white and brown one Bari. Cocoa is sweet and will let us pick her up and pet her, we are able to let her loose to play and then pick her backup and put her away. Bari however is another story. The chase is on and when we do finally catch her she kicks and scratches. My grandson is afraid to handle her. We have never been rough with either of them, I don't understand and I don't know how to tame her better. Any suggestions???

This spring I purchased two female sibling Mini Lop bunnies for my grandson. He named the brown one Cocoa and the white and brown one Bari. Cocoa is sweet and will let us pick her up and pet her, we are able to let her loose to play and then pick her backup and put her away. Bari however is another story. The chase is on and when we do finally catch her she kicks and scratches. My grandson is afraid to handle her. We have never been rough with either of them, I don't understand and I don't know how to tame her better. Any suggestions???

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

The one that kicks and scratches is more like most rabbits I'm afraid :) Rabbits sadly don't make good pets for children, and they most often than not don't like to be handled. It's a bit like a predator coming down and grabbing them - their instinct is to run away. Very normal :)

I do agree with this from the R.S.P.C.A.

Supervise children at all times, and only adults or responsible older children should be able to pick up rabbits.

I don't know old your grandson is, but it's certainly a skilled job picking up a rabbit safely, as they can so easily struggle and break their back.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/company/handling

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Restraint/Handling.htm

And your rabbit is in no way being mean. She is simply being a rabbit :)

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

Yes, pretty standard rabbit behaviour as MightyMax has said. I'm forever covered in scratches and even the ones we've had the longest still go crazy if you try to pick them up.

I'd avoid picking them up unless it's absolutely necessary and maybe suggest that your grandson sits with them with a tasty treat (something suitable, of course) and they might come over for some fuss. Obviously if they are young though it's worth remembering that it's easy to get a nip even if the rabbit didn't intend to, for example when taking the treat x

You've already been given very good advice and information. Just one other point - do they have constant access to a large hutch and run? (If they don't have a large enough area, she could be getting stroppy because she doesn't want to be put away again into a small space).

I have a couple suggestions. Try not to chase Bari as I have found that stresses and upsets the rabbit and causes lots of frustration for the human. I know that is easier said than done. I know from experience. I finally found that food worked for me. I would sit very quietly with a special healthy treat something that the bunny really likes and let him come to me for the treat. Don't pick her up after giving the treat or put her back. After a while and it did take time my bunny associated me with the special treat. I then would slowly extend a hand for a little rub. After a while he associated me with things that he liked instead of someone who was going to chase him or put him back in his age. I also would always feed him his dinner after a run about. He figured this out and would return to his cage on his own for his dinner but you need a ramp or some way for bunny to get in her cage on her own without being picked up. I have had rabbits that hate to be picked up and others that love to. I have found that it is easier to just do what the rabbit prefers instead of trying to get a rabbit to like to be picked up. This is just what worked for me.

Does benefit greatly from being spayed. It can help them to be calmer (although may not make her any keener to be picked up, especially if she has been chased) and of course reduces the risk of uterine cancer which is very high in unspayed does.

All four of my rabbits (two bucks and two does, all neutered/spayed) loathe being picked up but will gladly take food from me and dont run away when I am around.

Back