• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pulling fur out after spay

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I'm talking to a very stressed out lady on facebook that recently took her rabbit in to be spayed. She is now eating, drinking and pooping but the rabbit is now pulling all of her fur out on one side of her body!
The ladies vet isn't rabbit savvy and the nearest one is 3 hours away. She has rang them and they've told her that she is fine and to stop hovering :shock:
I've recommended that she tries to find a new vet for next time but for now, what could be causing the fur pulling? My guess is that it's her response to pain and discomfort?
Any other ideas?
X

I'd guess pain or irritation too but I really don't know. Maybe the lack of hoovering might be good to see if she is nest building? Is she pulling fur around the operation site? Is she on pain relief? How long ago was the spay ? Any post op check up?

I'm better at questions than answers :lol:

I'm talking to a very stressed out lady on facebook that recently took her rabbit in to be spayed. She is now eating, drinking and pooping but the rabbit is now pulling all of her fur out on one side of her body!
The ladies vet isn't rabbit savvy and the nearest one is 3 hours away. She has rang them and they've told her that she is fine and to stop hovering :shock:
I've recommended that she tries to find a new vet for next time but for now, what could be causing the fur pulling? My guess is that it's her response to pain and discomfort?
Any other ideas?
X

I too would imagine that pain/irritation is the cause. The surgical wound may start to itch/feel tight as it heals. How long ago was the spay ? I assume that the surgical wound is being checked for any signs of 'oozing' and/or severe inflammation ? Is she still receiving pain relief ?

The fur pulling is on one side of her body. Her vet has said that he will only see her again if the rabbit is showing signs of GI stasis.
Bunny weighs 3lbs 1oz and Metacam dose is 1.5mg every 24 hours. Last dose is today because the vet only gave her 3 syringes.
I can't even begin to figure out the dose from that info but I've mentioned that she might want to ask her vet for a few days of extra Metacam and to see if she can give it twice a day instead of once.

Any other ideas?
X

Hi Roxy

Yes usually a response to pain and discomfort. The site could well be causing irritation - well you know what it's like when a big wound is healing, it begins to itch!

Has she got enough pain relief for her rabbit until she goes for a post spay check up?

It doesn't even sound like they are offering a post op check up :shock: They have said they will only see her again if bunny goes into stasis. They gave her 3 days worth of Metacam (once a day) and the last one is today.
I've told her to call them and ask for some more Metacam just on case :/

It doesn't even sound like they are offering a post op check up :shock: They have said they will only see her again if bunny goes into stasis. They gave her 3 days worth of Metacam (once a day) and the last one is today.
I've told her to call them and ask for some more Metacam just on case :/

Ask her to call her vet and ask about the post spay check up. Some people think that it's charged for, and so they don't turn up thinking there'll be another fee. A good vet won't charge (except for meds if needed).

She had to take her to the emergency vet this evening. She's been given fluids, critical care and extra pain relief to be given twice a day :)

Well, this fur pulling after GA might be a reaction to meds she's been given. My rabbit had this after a dental, she was pulling fur from her foot and after a bit of time even started to bite it. I think she wasn't able to feel that foot, so started to pick at it. In these cases vets can use something called Gabapentin. But I really hope it's not that. It's not a very common side effect of GA, so most likely it's just a healing itch.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Back