• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy ear after op.

They're both good at doing that - yesterday whilst he was having his op the girl started limping and hold one of her back legs up, well I freaked thinking it'd popped out again rang the vet surgeon said it sounds serious and to bring her straight down etc etc - turns out she's fine haha that was an expensive trip for 5 minutes of his time haha - leaving soon will update when I'm back :) xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh no - she couldn't bear *not* to be the centre of attention. :roll:

Yes they have quite the talent hahaha and she has got used to getting a lot of attention - when I've cleaned her today she's been especially clingy haha bless her x

Okay so he gave me some Emeprid and just said to syringe feed and water him and keep an eye on him - had a look at ear and said they normally stand up but we'll see :) - I mentioned that he'd been a little odd since I got him home and after I explained everything to him the vet said it sounds like a reaction to one of the things they used for pain relief said he's only experienced it a couple of times as it's rare but essentially Atticus was having a really bad trip.. Haha but should be okay in a few day - poor little guy no wonder he seemed spaced out haha but glad I went and got some more cc as I was nearly out :) x

Okay so he gave me some Emeprid and just said to syringe feed and water him and keep an eye on him - had a look at ear and said they normally stand up but we'll see :) - I mentioned that he'd been a little odd since I got him home and after I explained everything to him the vet said it sounds like a reaction to one of the things they used for pain relief said he's only experienced it a couple of times as it's rare but essentially Atticus was having a really bad trip.. Haha but should be okay in a few day - poor little guy no wonder he seemed spaced out haha but glad I went and got some more cc as I was nearly out :) x

I am so glad you took him :)

The pain killer could have been something like Vetergesic, or Buprenorphine. They knock a rabbit out (happened to mine) but they do come round and he will be fine.

Well done you! Did they charge you for the visit tonight? x

Yea I can't remember the one he said it was now but he said his cat was a mess after having it haha they didn't just for the Emeprid which was nice of them :) really great vet x

Yea I can't remember the one he said it was now but he said his cat was a mess after having it haha they didn't just for the Emeprid which was nice of them :) really great vet x

I am glad to hear that :D

So how long before it's not normal that he's not consistently eating? I mean he eats a little bit at night (I have a camera on him) but then in the morning I give him a clean litter tray and then he doesn't seem to eat or poop at all all day - very unlike him he's normally to opposite :( I've just given him more cc so hopefully he poops soon. This morning I put him outside just for half an hour on the wet grass which he normally loves, didn't eat any of it and didn't run around like normal - vet said he should be okay when I saw him Wednesday but there's no improvement - when would you expect to see him back to his normal self? Any advice appreciated :) xx

So how long before it's not normal that he's not consistently eating? I mean he eats a little bit at night (I have a camera on him) but then in the morning I give him a clean litter tray and then he doesn't seem to eat or poop at all all day - very unlike him he's normally to opposite :( I've just given him more cc so hopefully he poops soon. This morning I put him outside just for half an hour on the wet grass which he normally loves, didn't eat any of it and didn't run around like normal - vet said he should be okay when I saw him Wednesday but there's no improvement - when would you expect to see him back to his normal self? Any advice appreciated :) xx

I am wondering if he may have a bit of an infection :? It is certainly unusual for a Buck to take several days to recover from a routine castration.

When he does poo are they normal looking ?

What about his wee ? Any straining and/or spotting of wee ?

Personally I'd give the Vet another call to update him/her. He/she may want to see Bunny again.

Sometimes this kind of thing happens, and they get into a cycle of not eating. The problem is, that it builds up gas in their tummies and then they feel bloated and don't want to eat ...

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

I would try and get ahold of the vet before the weekend sets in and ask for some gut motility to keep him going ...

emeprid and zantac would be my recommendations :)

Yea he has Emeprid on it 3 times a day just a bit worried he's not eating etc

Yea he has Emeprid on it 3 times a day just a bit worried he's not eating etc

You could ask your vet about Zantac and also cisapride. They all work in different ways, but they help.

Are you still syringe feeding?

See what your vet says - sometimes a dose of fluids 9sub cut - under the skin) at the vet is what kick starts a dehydrated gut moving :)

And loxicom - spoke to vets they just said that keep doing what I'm doing with the CC etc :( and call Monday

And loxicom - spoke to vets they just said that keep doing what I'm doing with the CC etc :( and call Monday

OK, they seem confident that it will resolve itself.

If he looks to be in distress tomorrow, you could take him before the surgery closes? :)

Yea they do - I'm just worried it won't he's so not himself - they aren't open at weekend so have to be Monday or emergency out of hours unfortunately

Yea they do - I'm just worried it won't he's so not himself - they aren't open at weekend so have to be Monday or emergency out of hours unfortunately

Given that you still sound to be very concerned about him and your Vets are closed over the weekend, personally I'd call them back and ask for him to be seen this evening. If nothing else it may reassure you to know he has had another 'hands on' examination.

As he is not eating much and on Metacam I would ask the Vet if he could be precribed Ranitidine (AKA Zantac) This would have the dual benefit of acting as a hind gut prokinetic and also it would protect his stomach from ulceration. Ulceration can occur in an anorexic Rabbit and oral Metacam can exacerbate the problem x

I asked if I could see a vet but William isn't there til Monday and it didn't sound like anyone else was :( is metacam loxicom then? x

Back