• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy ear after op.

Ah good :) Oo what other lettuces would you give? I'm always looking for more new and different things to feed them especially for Clementine who loves eating so much hahaha I know ice berg is a no no but other than that one if there's more varieties I can feed I'll happily give them a go haha :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ah good :) Oo what other lettuces would you give? I'm always looking for more new and different things to feed them especially for Clementine who loves eating so much hahaha I know ice berg is a no no but other than that one if there's more varieties I can feed I'll happily give them a go haha :)

Every sort of lettuce is OK :) Also good for rabbits who need to lose weight or watch the calories ;)

Why is iceberg a no-no?

You know I'm not sure that just seems to be the general consensus haha! Is iceberg okay then? Coz I personally love it so there's always loads around haha I thought the general rule was dark green and rubbery was best? If not Clementine will be please [emoji14]

I've always wondered about Iceberg lettuce too. It's not something that we have here, so it's not been an issue for me, but I thought I would do some research. Tbh the only lettuce that my rabbits have ever had has been a couple of lettuce plants that went up to seed in the garden :)

Anyway, I found these two links, which I found interesting.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/diet/myths

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactucarium

Now I know what the milky substance in lettuce is :)

Ah so that's why no iceberg then, altho maybe in small quantities it's not a big issue?

You know I'm not sure that just seems to be the general consensus haha! Is iceberg okay then? Coz I personally love it so there's always loads around haha I thought the general rule was dark green and rubbery was best? If not Clementine will be please [emoji14]

I know an eminent vet who has served her rabbits iceberg lettuce :)

However, I wouldn't feed it because it contains lactucarium, which has a mild opiate-like effect:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-lettuce-contains-chemical-gets-stoned.html

You have to draw your own conclusions - a little probably isn't harmful. I don't eat it, so my rabbits don't get it :)

They do go dopey after eating lettuce though that is true haha

Ah I'll give a small amount to Clementine maybe sure she'll love it :)

Back