• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy ear after op.

Graciee

Staff member
Had my male bunny neutered yesterday and it all went fine but he came back with a floppy ear which seems pretty normal (other bunny recently had op and came back with same thing) this morning it's still floppy whereas after a few hours with my other bunny the ear was back to normal. I'm probably over reacting, but how long is normal for the ear to stay lopped? And is there any chance it will never stand up again? Thanks :) x
808f20f6b57909d7965cfba40db784ca.jpg
79032be66200eaf64c1fd97667d1e92b.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Had my male bunny neutered yesterday and it all went fine but he came back with a floppy ear which seems pretty normal (other bunny recently had op and came back with same thing) this morning it's still floppy whereas after a few hours with my other bunny the ear was back to normal. I'm probably over reacting, but how long is normal for the ear to stay lopped? And is there any chance it will never stand up again? Thanks :) x

Awwww bless, what a handsome Rex :love:

The lopped ear is likely to be due to the catheter that was used to set up an IV line. The ear should return to normal over the next couple of days. Just keep an eye on the surface of the ear for any sign of severe bruising/inflammation xx

Yea I thought so just wanted to check - thanks for the reassurance :) my females ear just went back to normal so quickly I was a bit worried - I'll definitely keep and eye out for those things thank you :)! xx

Yea I thought so just wanted to check - thanks for the reassurance :) my females ear just went back to normal so quickly I was a bit worried - I'll definitely keep and eye out for those things thank you :)! xx

That's OK. I think I am a bit in love with your gorgeous Rexes !!

Awh thank you haha everytime I go to the vets the nurses always say how lovely they both are - never had Rexes before but I'm definitely going to look at adopting some adults in the future, they're so friendly and bold :D xx

Awh thank you haha everytime I go to the vets the nurses always say how lovely they both are - never had Rexes before but I'm definitely going to look at adopting some adults in the future, they're so friendly and bold :D xx

...........and almost always very greedy !! :lol:

...........and almost always very greedy !! [emoji38]
Yes! They do have a big appetite - my others in the past have been like oh nice food... These two will be on you the minute you have anything edible haha

Hi there :)

He's absolutely lovely, isn't he?

It's unusual for this to happen, and I guess the vet has given him a catheter in his ear for UV fluids. This can affect the ear in this way and being honest with you I have known it rectify itself in a couple of days but I have also known cases where the ear will never stand up again.

I really hope it stands up for your beautiful boy so he is not a helicopter :)

Let me know!

Awh okay thanks for letting me know, hope it does stand up but wouldn't bother me if it didn't as long as he was okay, he doesn't seem too bothered by it at the moment which is good :)

When I brought him home yesterday he was very spooked, almost like he didn't know me, and was disorientated in his cage - I checked on him all night to make sure he was eating etc and he's much better this morning and keeps jumping on and off my lap haha :) his hind legs seem a little bit like they aren't as strong also but hoping that'll wear off :) x

Awh okay thanks for letting me know, hope it does stand up but wouldn't bother me if it didn't as long as he was okay, he doesn't seem too bothered by it at the moment which is good :)

When I brought him home yesterday he was very spooked, almost like he didn't know me, and was disorientated in his cage - I checked on him all night to make sure he was eating etc and he's much better this morning and keeps jumping on and off my lap haha :) his hind legs seem a little bit like they aren't as strong also but hoping that'll wear off :) x

Yes he'll get stronger :)

The ear thing happened to my Max ( in my avatar) and I had him examined several times by my vet and the ear would never stand up again. I have to be honest and say I was a bit miffed at the time, but as you say, as long as he's OK then that's what matters :D

But I hope his ear will go up :D I look forward to further reports :)

Yea I can imagine, I mean you take a bunny in for a routine op and then they come back with that it's understandable to feel that way I think. I think I'd have felt similarly but after everything with the girl and her legs and then being scared he might end up the same when he started to limp I've got to the point with both of them that I'm just so happy they're still here that I don't care what they look like anymore as long as they're healthy haha - had that not all happened though I'd probably have felt like that - will keep you updated :) x

Yea I can imagine, I mean you take a bunny in for a routine op and then they come back with that it's understandable to feel that way I think. I think I'd have felt similarly but after everything with the girl and her legs and then being scared he might end up the same when he started to limp I've got to the point with both of them that I'm just so happy they're still here that I don't care what they look like anymore as long as they're healthy haha - had that not all happened though I'd probably have felt like that - will keep you updated :) x

Thank you :)

And on your little girl-wonder too :D

This happened to my rabbit recently (he had a catheter when being treated for GI stasis). It took until day 5 after coming home from the vets (he was in for a few days) for his ear to get back upright. I rang the vet after 3 days to ask if it was a problem. She explained that usually the ear will go back and it's due to bruising from the weight of the catheter, but occasionally it can cause nerve damage which means that the ear never goes back to its usual position.

She said to look out for any signs of infection, including the rabbit shaking or scratching their ear.

I'm glad to hear your rabbit's healthy xx

Thanks I've had a look at his ear looks fine, I guess time will tell :) x

Awwww bless, what a handsome Rex :love:

Isn't he gorgeous :love:

Yes, Rexes are greedy, self-confident and very beautiful :) They also have to put up with vets and vet nurses cooing and stroking :)

My Rex doe is 8 and has wayward ears. One Rex buck (7 1/2) has Myx scars round his eye and the other (6 1/2) has Treponema scars round his nose. I am not upset by any of their imperfections :)

Isn't he gorgeous :love:

Yes, Rexes are greedy, self-confident and very beautiful :) They also have to put up with vets and vet nurses cooing and stroking :)

My Rex doe is 8 and has wayward ears. One Rex buck (7 1/2) has Myx scars round his eye and the other (6 1/2) has Treponema scars round his nose. I am not upset by any of their imperfections :)
Yes they both get a lot of attention haha They all sound gorgeous :) I'll just see how his ear goes whatever happens is cool with me x

Hes still not really eating :( he ate last night and was pooping and peeing but since I changed his cage at 10am there's no evidence of eating, peeing or pooping :( he's eating a tiny bit of kale but bit worried that there's no poos... I've just given him cc hoping he'll pass something soon... Do you think I should see if he does? Or just call the vets? :(

Hes still not really eating :( he ate last night and was pooping and peeing but since I changed his cage at 10am there's no evidence of eating, peeing or pooping :( he's eating a tiny bit of kale but bit worried that there's no poos... I've just given him cc hoping he'll pass something soon... Do you think I should see if he does? Or just call the vets? :(

Did your vet give you some gut motility meds for him - emeprid, zantac, or pain relief?

If not, and you haven't anything to give him, I would give the vet a call and explain :)

Back