• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on hutch within a run

Sarah298

Young Bun
Hi guys

My husband is in the process of building a 76 squared feet outdoor aviary for our 2 rabbits and will have a cat flap into our kitchen so they have 24/7 access to the kitchen and aviary (they will have access to the rest of the house when we're home as they're house rabbits but love the outdoors). It will be completely cat and fox proof.

My question is if we were to get a hutch to go in the aviary, if its going to be open constantly does the hutch still need to be 6ft or will a 5ft one be ok? We were going to use it more so for somewhere to put their hay and some food outdoors.

Also, we haven't had outdoor rabbits so just checking were ok to let them have this access as they'll have use of our kitchen too or is it to late into summer? No doubt il have more questions regarding winter as I think of them

(P.s. For anyone that saw my post about the youngest and having her phantom pregnancies, she's booked in next Thursday :S very nervous!)

Thanks in advance :)

Sounds absolutely fine to me. As they won't be shut in the hutch at all and will have the option of coming back in anytime they want, a 5ft hutch will be fine.

So long as they're fully vaccinated (as they most likely will be anyway) there is nothing I'd be worried about.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You can use whatever size hutch you want if its just being a shelter within an enclosure - I've repurposed lots of unsuitable hutches for this by taking the doors off etc.

Will be taking them both to the vets next week so will check when they're due their vaccinations and get that done too.

Would there be much of an issue with mice with hutches outside?

I saw a 5ft hutch on Pet Planet reduced from £199.99 to £69.99 I think, cheapest I've seen for hutches and as well be putting a roof on the aviary and possibly a plastic sheet on a side panel to help protect them in the winter too.

So long as food isn't left in it at all times (e.g. pellet food), and you regularly clean it mice shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi, it all sounds really good :)

We've done the same thing and have old hutches inside sheds or runs, with either the doors removed or fixed open x

Last edited:
Ah ideal. Ordering the rest of the supplies tonight and and hopefully will be finished over the weekend! Will try and post some pictures once its all up :).

Thanks again x

I have a five foot hutch inside my rabbits' shed which has no doors. They like to sit on it! It looks so tiny. Hard to believe that anyone would consider it enough space to shut a rabbit into with no run ...

Back