• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my Doe a Buck?

Crumpet

Young Bun
Hi all,

My 6 month old French lop has discovered her natural instinct. I have booked her in to get neutered in the next few weeks but in the mean time, she has really taken to humping me at any opportunity.

It's driving me crazy but I know it will ease off once she is neutered. I am putting it off the neutering until I am off work for a week due to my other doe having serious issues after her spay and needing to be rushed to the emergency vet. I want to be with her until she is over the worst of it, just in case as I was past myself when my older doe was poorly and had to take her into work with me to keep any eye on her. Not an ideal situation but the things we do for our babies.

Anyway, long story short. I've been trying to distract her when she is feeling fruity, I picked her up and noticed something pinky grey sticking out where her genitals are. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing for does to do or if she could be male? It comes out every time she is feeling frisky too.

I've had a look and cannot see/feel any testicals and this thing retracts when she 'calms' down. When she's in this state she has a musky kind of smell too, it's that horrible kind of gland smell but she's a nightmare when she's picked up and claws like mad as well as being a very hairy beasty so it's almost impossible to check her glands. My parents are coming to visit me later on in the week so I'm hoping that 2 hands will make it easier to check.

In the meantime, What could this thing be? She does look like a female based on what I know. But my other doe is a Netherland dwarf so it is difficult to compare given the huge size difference.

Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hi all,

My 6 month old French lop has discovered her natural instinct. I have booked her in to get neutered in the next few weeks but in the mean time, she has really taken to humping me at any opportunity.

It's driving me crazy but I know it will ease off once she is neutered. I am putting it off the neutering until I am off work for a week due to my other doe having serious issues after her spay and needing to be rushed to the emergency vet. I want to be with her until she is over the worst of it, just in case as I was past myself when my older doe was poorly and had to take her into work with me to keep any eye on her. Not an ideal situation but the things we do for our babies.

Anyway, long story short. I've been trying to distract her when she is feeling fruity, I picked her up and noticed something pinky grey sticking out where her genitals are. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing for does to do or if she could be male? It comes out every time she is feeling frisky too.

I've had a look and cannot see/feel any testicals and this thing retracts when she 'calms' down. When she's in this state she has a musky kind of smell too, it's that horrible kind of gland smell but she's a nightmare when she's picked up and claws like mad as well as being a very hairy beasty so it's almost impossible to check her glands. My parents are coming to visit me later on in the week so I'm hoping that 2 hands will make it easier to check.

In the meantime, What could this thing be? She does look like a female based on what I know. But my other doe is a Netherland dwarf so it is difficult to compare given the huge size difference.

Any help is much appreciated!

Yeah you know, you could be right!

You haven't seen any plums but they could be hidden, and perhaps among the fur?

Here's a couple of articles that may help, but from what you've described it sounds like a hormonal and randy little boy :)

http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/sexing.htm

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm

I am assuming that your two 'does' are not living together?

No, I have a mother and son pair of Netherland dwarfs who are both neutered. Crumpet (the mother) is nicknamed grumpy crumpy because she hates all other bunnies.

My lop lives on her own, she's in the living room and is free range as she's generally very well behaved. I usually spend around 5 hours with her on an evening bonding. She's like my little best mate but is being a real toe rag at the minute haha.

Thanks for you help, it might just be a case of waiting to see what the vets says when I take her in if I can't see anything later on in the week. Rabbits are so tricky!

No, I have a mother and son pair of Netherland dwarfs who are both neutered. Crumpet (the mother) is nicknamed grumpy crumpy because she hates all other bunnies.

My lop lives on her own, she's in the living room and is free range as she's generally very well behaved. I usually spend around 5 hours with her on an evening bonding. She's like my little best mate but is being a real toe rag at the minute haha.

Thanks for you help, it might just be a case of waiting to see what the vets says when I take her in if I can't see anything later on in the week. Rabbits are so tricky!

You're welcome :)

Are you hoping she is still a she, or don't you mind?

I must say your story sounds horribly familiar.
Not horrible really - but one of my rabbits turned into a boy in just the way you've described :shock::lol:

I love the name grumpy crumpy :D

Kinda sounds like a buck to me.My bridge boy Rio turned into a humping machine pre neuter,after one of his "sessions" with my leg his wee willy could be seen..ahem .However he had plums that were obvious.:lol:

Back