• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stressed! Neighbor's Cat keeps checking out bunnies

melanietal

New Kit
Hi all,
We have 3 new rex bunnies (12-13 weeks old) and are keeping them in an outdoor hutch. We have a neighborhood cat (who we just recently-- about a month ago--found does have an owner)...for the last 3 years we have been feeding him on the back porch and playing with. He is a curious fellow and was like our pet without actually being a pet before we got the bunnies. He comes over every morning and evening for food and playing with the kids. Well, since we have gotten the bunnies I have been very stressed about the cat coming over. I lost a bunny to a cat attack when I was a kid so it is still an old trauma for me. The bunny I lost as a kid was free range though- going all around the backyard. Our present bunnies are in their outdoor cage and get supervised playtime with us 2 times a day in the playpen in the backyard. The first day or two the cat just sort of looked with curiosity at the bunnies from a distance. Then on day 3 he came close to the cage and was just watching. Day 4 he was crouching low by the age watching (looking a little hunter-ish) and yesterday he was watching from a distance and then slinked low in the grass and sort of ran close to our enclosed playpen. Today, he is waiting for food and I have not been feeding him anymore because he is feeling like a threat. They are safe in their cage but it still makes me uncomfortable. What should I do? Feeling very stressed here and torn because this was our "friendly" cat for 3 years and now we have our bunnies and never want them to feel threatened or have a chance at getting hurt.

I must admit, I do feel sorry for the cat! but can obviously understand your concern.
Why not attach a sturdy, wooden run, with a top, to the rabbits' hutch so they can have permanent access to exercise space (which is recommended anyway) so they are safe. The cat will soon get used to them and the novelty will wear off: at present they are something new to be investigated.
It does seem harsh to suddenly stop feeding and playing with a cat after 3 years, but it is up to you.

I wonder if it's worth still feeding the cat. If you've been feeding him, his owner might not. He's basically going to end up feeling hungry and like he needs to hunt for his food instead. He might interpret it that you have replaced one food source with another...

Like Babsie says, ensure that your rabbits have a very secure pen with a top too, and that your garden is bun-proofed (no holes in fences etc).

Thank you Babsie and MiniC for your replies. This has been a little emotional/traumatic for us to figure out. Thank you for your ideas.

Last edited:
Yikes! That would be horrible if he interpreted that- I was wondering about that. I don't want to encourage him to come to our yard too often by feeding him still, but I sure don't want him to think the bunnies are his new source of food.

Just reasoning this all out---If I feed the cat- he won't be hungry- and will just check out the bunnies because of curiosity and hopefully in time, become uninterested in them. But If he is "checking them out" at a close proximity will the bunnies be okay? I don't want them to freak out or something. They are just babies and I don't think have ever seen a cat and the cat has been getting pretty close to their cage.

Last edited:
And is it cruel to feed the cat but use a squirt gun if he is getting too close to bunnies cage? Will that teach him to leave them alone or make him more ornery /curious about them?

I would go for a secure run that way if he does decide to get brave and check them out closer they are completely secure. After that you can relax a bit and there is no reason they can't co-exist happily. Your young rabbits will be used to seeing a cat around and the cat will probably lose interest or quickly realise it can't actually get to them.

And is it cruel to feed the cat but use a squirt gun if he is getting too close to bunnies cage? Will that teach him to leave them alone or make him more ornery /curious about them?

Yes, it would be cruel.
Also, as you say, it would just make him more curious.
If the rabbits are in a secure wooden run, they will be fine and will just get used to the cat being around - and he will soon lose interest and just accept them.

ETA I have some photographs of my cat and rabbits together - but unfortunately I don't think I can post them as Photobucket has changed its 'regulations'.

Last edited:
Back