• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with just one ear

Jasperello

Warren Scout
Hiya

So I've temporarily gained an extra 2 buns at the minute- a mother and daughter duo. One of whom only has one ear!
I would presume that's not a very common thing..?! Apparently the ear was stood on when it was a baby baby, and it was then amputated. So thought people might be interested to see pictures of her :)
20840700_265041094005854_3973425225833496950_n.jpg

20882245_265041114005852_2536132751252625644_n.jpg

She seems to get on fine with just one ear...and they are uppy ear bunnies but baby bunny has suddenly turned into more of a loppy ear (not pictured). Has got me whittling a little bit, because it was literally suddenly yesterday and she hasn't put it straight up since, so I'm worried she has damaged it or there's an inner ear problem or something? or is it something to do with just having one ear now, I have no idea, so if someone has any thoughts let me know!

Hiya

So I've temporarily gained an extra 2 buns at the minute- a mother and daughter duo. One of whom only has one ear!
I would presume that's not a very common thing..?! Apparently the ear was stood on when it was a baby baby, and it was then amputated. So thought people might be interested to see pictures of her :)

She seems to get on fine with just one ear...and they are uppy ear bunnies but baby bunny has suddenly turned into more of a loppy ear (not pictured). Has got me whittling a little bit, because it was literally suddenly yesterday and she hasn't put it straight up since, so I'm worried she has damaged it or there's an inner ear problem or something? or is it something to do with just having one ear now, I have no idea, so if someone has any thoughts let me know!

Sometimes a Doe can overgrown their kits which can lead to the loss of an ear or even a limb. Only having one ear is seldom a problem, but it's important to check in the 'no ear' canal for any signs of gunk etc.

The 'lop' of the other ear may just be due to the Bunny being warm. Rabbits regulate their body temperature via the blood vessels in their ears

http://ressources.ciheam.org/om/pdf/c08/95605277.pdf

. Uppy eared Rabbits often partly lop in warm weather. If Bunny seems to be shaking her head a lot and/or scratching her ears then it'd be a good idea to get her checked over by the Vet.

They are both lovely Rabbits and they certainly look to be very well xx

Last edited:
Thank you Jane, that's reassuring. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it because she isn't shaking or scratching it but will definitely keep an eye on her. I'll be very sad to give them back after their holiday at mine, they are gorgeous and I'm trying to really look after them because where they usually live is not a good standard at all unfortunately.

Hiya

Jasperello, lovely to hear from you again :)

I think a one eared bunny is a beautiful sight :)

I wonder who stood on the ear? Not the Mama - not heavy enough! Was probably painful at the time ...

I wouldn't worry about the ear seeming to lop. It could well be that the other half of the parents was a lop and that's the way the ear might go eventually?

How long have you got the rabbits for?

I will have had them for almost 4 weeks by the time I give them next week. They came to me with fur that's urine stained from weeing on each other because the space is small and dirty (you can just see the yellow tinge by her hind leg in the second photo), nails that needed a good trim etc, and mummy bunny has really struggled with an upset tummy but she has just settled now and no soft poos in sight anymore. They are mainly fed on muesli, and were stuck in a little cage mostly, which was filthy. The water was horrible too which probably explains why they are drinking like fish now! They are very feisty and skittish poor little things. Not spayed either so very hormonal and don't exactly get on wonderfully together.
I've already tried to ask if I can keep them forever! But my next approach is to try and teach them what rabbits need etc. I teach the owners daughter so I'm going to try and show her how to keep them clean etc so that's at least something to try and help the bunnies.
I like to think they are having a very nice time at my house in my spare room.

I just posted some pictures of my buns over in stories and photos too, if you want to see what my babies have been up to!

Last edited:
I will have had them for almost 4 weeks by the time I give them next week. They came to me with fur that's urine stained from weeing on each other because the space is small and dirty (you can just see the yellow tinge by her hind leg in the second photo), nails that needed a good trim etc, and mummy bunny has really struggled with an upset tummy but she has just settled now and no soft poos in sight anymore. They are mainly fed on muesli, and were stuck in a little cage mostly, which was filthy. The water was horrible too which probably explains why they are drinking like fish now! They are very feisty and skittish poor little things. Not spayed either so very hormonal and don't exactly get on wonderfully together.
I've already tried to ask if I can keep them forever! But my next approach is to try and teach them what rabbits need etc. I teach the owners daughter so I'm going to try and show her how to keep them clean etc so that's at least something to try and help the bunnies.
I like to think they are having a very nice time at my house in my spare room.

I just posted some pictures of my buns over in stories and photos too, if you want to see what my babies have been up to!

That must be really difficult for you :(

I have had situations - well most really - where people who board at my place think that their rabbits will feel they have died and gone to heaven. Yes I give rabbits a brill holiday, but I am always concerned about the life they live back home. The ones you're looking after really need to come to you, even if temporarily and you rehome them. Well, that's my take on it :) I hope you can make some headway :)

I shall head over and take a look at your babies :D

Back