• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two pairs into a group

NyxTaryn

Young Bun
Hi, I currently have 2 rabbits living together in a shed+run setup outside. They are mother and daughter, both neutered, about 3 and 5 years old. They are friendly bunnies, and will come up and groom me. Lirael (mum) is less keen on fuss from me, and she is the dominant one in the pair. Kibeth (daughter) loves fuss and attention. She is always happy to have company and will get excited to see the neighborhood cats that come and sniff through the mesh and will play with other animals like magpies through the mesh, running up and down and sniffing them. She has company from her mum of course and my partner and I come out and play with them, but I think she would like more friends to interact with or more grooming partners. I'm also concerned that as her mum is older, she could be left very lonely if her mum were to die before her (of course if this were to happen I would try and find her a new friend) and this would be less of a problem if they were part of a group.

So, with this in mind, I'm considering adopting a second pair of rabbits from a rescue I volunteer at, potentially to bond with my pair or to live in a separate area within the existing enclosure. I'd prefer to try adding in another pair as I don't want a third wheel situation if two of the rabbits spend more time together and the other is left out. The rescue I volunteer at weren't too keen on the idea as they are rightly concerned the bonding could break either of the existing bonds, or fail completely. I'm trying to decide whether it is worth trying as I'd love to see Kibeth have more company and I think Lirael would enjoy being with more rabbits as she prefers the company of other rabbits to humans. However, if it's very likely that introducing them could break the bond between my existing pair, then I'm not sure it's worth the risk, as I want them to have more company and be happier, not end up with less company than they have now.

The pair I'm considering adopting are friendly and sweet; they were indoor rabbits previously so are quite comfortable around people and seem close to each other as well. They are a boy and girl pair, again both neutered, and around the same age as my existing pair. My other option instead of bonding them would be to keep them as two separate pairs, but within the same enclosure. The run area is 6x8ft, so I could potentially add a large hutch to it and pen off half the run for them. They would then be able to interact with my existing pair through the wires, which Kibeth would enjoy, but be kept mostly separate. I could begin by putting the hutch alongside the run to start with to see how both both pairs react.

The benefit of this would be that they'd have some more playmates/company, but again this could cause upset if being close to other bunnies stresses them out and my existing pair would lose some space in the run area. Has anyone got any advice or any experience of either bonding two pairs or having two pairs live side by side?

If there's a good chance they can bond with each other and form a group, then I think they would be very happy, but I don't know if it is worth the risk of causing a rift between either pair. What do you think? Do you have any experience of pairs falling out irreconcilably or of successfully bonding a group? Do you have un-bonded rabbits living close to each other and how do they respond to this?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, I currently have 2 rabbits living together in a shed+run setup outside. They are mother and daughter, both neutered, about 3 and 5 years old. They are friendly bunnies, and will come up and groom me. Lirael (mum) is less keen on fuss from me, and she is the dominant one in the pair. Kibeth (daughter) loves fuss and attention. She is always happy to have company and will get excited to see the neighborhood cats that come and sniff through the mesh and will play with other animals like magpies through the mesh, running up and down and sniffing them. She has company from her mum of course and my partner and I come out and play with them, but I think she would like more friends to interact with or more grooming partners. I'm also concerned that as her mum is older, she could be left very lonely if her mum were to die before her (of course if this were to happen I would try and find her a new friend) and this would be less of a problem if they were part of a group.

So, with this in mind, I'm considering adopting a second pair of rabbits from a rescue I volunteer at, potentially to bond with my pair or to live in a separate area within the existing enclosure. I'd prefer to try adding in another pair as I don't want a third wheel situation if two of the rabbits spend more time together and the other is left out. The rescue I volunteer at weren't too keen on the idea as they are rightly concerned the bonding could break either of the existing bonds, or fail completely. I'm trying to decide whether it is worth trying as I'd love to see Kibeth have more company and I think Lirael would enjoy being with more rabbits as she prefers the company of other rabbits to humans. However, if it's very likely that introducing them could break the bond between my existing pair, then I'm not sure it's worth the risk, as I want them to have more company and be happier, not end up with less company than they have now.

The pair I'm considering adopting are friendly and sweet; they were indoor rabbits previously so are quite comfortable around people and seem close to each other as well. They are a boy and girl pair, again both neutered, and around the same age as my existing pair. My other option instead of bonding them would be to keep them as two separate pairs, but within the same enclosure. The run area is 6x8ft, so I could potentially add a large hutch to it and pen off half the run for them. They would then be able to interact with my existing pair through the wires, which Kibeth would enjoy, but be kept mostly separate. I could begin by putting the hutch alongside the run to start with to see how both both pairs react.

The benefit of this would be that they'd have some more playmates/company, but again this could cause upset if being close to other bunnies stresses them out and my existing pair would lose some space in the run area. Has anyone got any advice or any experience of either bonding two pairs or having two pairs live side by side?

If there's a good chance they can bond with each other and form a group, then I think they would be very happy, but I don't know if it is worth the risk of causing a rift between either pair. What do you think? Do you have any experience of pairs falling out irreconcilably or of successfully bonding a group? Do you have un-bonded rabbits living close to each other and how do they respond to this?

Thanks for your help.

Hello

I am no expert, but I think with bonding Rabbits into a group much depends on the individual characters of the Rabbits. If bonding two pairs into a quad, then the dynamics of the bond between each pair needs to be taken into account.

Some people on here have successfully bonded 2 pairs into a quad. But some attempts did not work out. I guess you wont know for certain unless you try. So if you do adopt another pair I'd have a 'Plan B' mapped out incase a quad bonding does not work out.

I have had numerous bonded pairs living next door to each other with no referred aggression issues.

There are others on here a lot more experienced with bonding groups of Rabbits than I am. I stick to pairs ! Hopefully you will soon receive some more helpful replies.

Good Luck x

I have had pairs living near to each other with no issues in the past (ie 3 enclosures of 10 x 6 each containing a pair of rabbits). I do know that some pairs will fight each other if they smell other rabbits near by that they cannot get to (referred aggression).

Would you be able to/want to take the rabbits on trial and keep them if they bond?

My current quad of rabbits consist of two bucks who fell out after neutering. I kept them apart for six weeks (until the autumn) then reintroduced them and added in two does (from a rescue). They have been happily together since 2013.

Last edited:
I have had pairs living near to each other with no issues in the past (ie 3 enclosures of 10 x 6 each containing a pair of rabbits). I do know that some pairs will fight each other if they smell other rabbits near by that they cannot get to (referred aggression).

Would you be able to/want to take the rabbits on trial and keep them if they bond?

My current quad of rabbits consist of two bucks who fell out after neutering. I kept them apart for six weeks (until the autumn) then reintroduced them and added in two does (from a rescue). They have been happily together since 2013.

Thanks for replying. I think the rescue would allow me to take them on a 'foster' basis and see how they get on, as that's how they usually do bonding for pairs, or singles added to an existing group. I would probably need to show them a setup where they could live separately in case they don't bond, so if worst came to worst I could keep them separate from the other pair. I think essentially they'd agree if they could see separate living arrangements for them and be ok with me trying the bond later if they seemed to be getting a long well etc.

The main issue with this is that they would need to stay in the other rabbits enclosure, so if they were separate, my existing bunnies would keep their 8x6 shed and a part of the run (probably a third or half of it) and then the other rabbits could be in say a 6x2/4 hutch off the ground with the lawn underneath and some extra run space (so they'd have a 6x2 hutch and a 6x4 section of the run for instance). If they were unable to tolerate this or it started to cause fights between them just being in proximity to the others or either pair were very scared of the other, then I would return them to the rescue at this point as I wouldn't want both pairs to be unhappy.

My concern with this would be that they would technically be living in my existing bunnies territory, which might cause issues, even if it was fenced off/divided and the hutch was new. If I could build an extra enclosure alongside then I'd happily do this, but there's not enough space in the garden to fit another huge enclosure in. I could put the hutch next to the run temporarily and see how they get on before moving them into the run and fencing off half for them, but in the long run they'd need access to more space than that.

How did you bond your quad? Were they two pairs or singles added together over time? Has anyone experienced a pair falling out permanently due to a new bunny being next to their cage/run/etc?

Back