• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brambles for winter food storing freezing

rosaleen

Warren Scout
Hi:wave:
Having read the benefits of brambles on here I now feed them each day to my two. They'd both had multiple episodes of gut stasis and I think /hope supplying brambles is one of the reasons for their current good health.:D
I understand that brambles die back in the winter. My question is, can they be stored somehow for the winter months?
Thanks
Sorry the photo is upside down, I've just worked out how to put one on but not how to put it the right way up:roll:

Last edited:
Having read the benefits of brambles on here I now feed them each day to my two. They'd both had multiple episodes of gut stasis and I think /hope supplying brambles is one of the reasons for their current good health.:D
I understand that brambles die back in the winter. My question is, can they be stored somehow for the winter months?;)
Thanks

Yes, they can be stored by drying first and then keeping in paper bags or a cardboard box. However, if you have access to woods, you will probably find some Brambles that last most of the Winter. Rabbits don't seem to mind if they don't look as pristine as in the Summer months :)

Thanks Omi, that's good news and glad to hear I can store them.There is a wood near me which I use for foraging so I'll carry on into the winter.:D

I understand that brambles die back in the winter. My question is, can they be stored somehow for the winter months?
Thanks
Sorry the photo is upside down, I've just worked out how to put one on but not how to put it the right way up:roll:

Hi rosaleen, and good to see you here still posting :)

Brambles are ubiquitous and don't seem to die off. I have found that brambles just dry anywhere and everywhere. If I pick a bucket and don't use them all, even the ones at the bottom of the pile are preserved. I have to say I don't go to any particular trouble to dry them, as they seem quite tough and look after themselves.

That said, just make sure they don't get wet or mouldy. Oh, and bunnies can eat all the brambles - thorns, stem and all :)

If you'd have asked me or the OH if brambles die back in winter before we had bunnies, we'd have said 'of course they do!'. But they don't really! A note about dry brambles though: they're a lot 'spikier' than fresh, because the thorns are more brittle. No problem for the bunnies, but a pain for those of us feeding them! I tell my OH to cut them to about 1 foot lengths so they're easier to handle, and so that they fit in the boxes!

Hi

Thanks for the extra info. I had avoided giving them the stems before and I still don't understand how a rabbit's mouth isn't cut to shreds by thoses thorns!

Hi

Thanks for the extra info. I had avoided giving them the stems before and I still don't understand how a rabbit's mouth isn't cut to shreds by thoses thorns!

I will never understand that! And hawthorn too! :shock:

They get their cheek pierced by a little dental spur, or even a piece of hay, and yet all those thorns seem to do no damage.

I will never understand that! And hawthorn too! :shock:

They get their cheek pierced by a little dental spur, or even a piece of hay, and yet all those thorns seem to do no damage.
Thank you for your replies! it's all very helpful, especially reading about hawthorn.
Sorry not to have replied sooner but been busy delving into YouTube for info on how one person can manage cutting a rabbit's claws. I'll do a separate post for that though.

Thank you for your replies! it's all very helpful, especially reading about hawthorn.
Sorry not to have replied sooner but been busy delving into YouTube for info on how one person can manage cutting a rabbit's claws. I'll do a separate post for that though.

Welcome :)

Cutting nails .... xx

Back