• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tubby bunny - advice needed

Compass

Warren Scout
Hi all,
We have a New Zealand white rabbit (albino) who we adopted about 2 years ago. He is at least 4 years old and lives with his partner Brie. Our problem is he has a never ending appetite! He has gained at least 0.5kg since being with us and has developed a dew lap. He is also developing a wet bum as we don't think he is grooming himself as he used to. He only has a small amount of nuggets' approx two tablespoons each day and a couple of leaves if kale, some fresh parsley and mint . He loves hay, especially readigrass and easily eats his own body size in hay each day. We are grooming his bottom but I'm just worried about this and thinking should I change his diet? My first thought is to reduce the nuggets but then he doesn't have that many? Any suggestions? I don't know if readigrass is more calorific than ordinary hay but he absolutely loves it. Any suggestions welcomed ....:)

As a non-expert, I'd say cut down on the Readigrass. I used to sprinkle a little on plain meadow hay for my (now bridge) bunnies as a treat.

we use readigrass to put weight on rabbits, I'd cut that down to a sprinkle a day and cut the pellets down to 20g and stick to herbs only for his veg, if he's so overweight that he's struggling to clean himself then the risk of fly strike is huge

Hi all,
We have a New Zealand white rabbit (albino) who we adopted about 2 years ago. He is at least 4 years old and lives with his partner Brie. Our problem is he has a never ending appetite! He has gained at least 0.5kg since being with us and has developed a dew lap. He is also developing a wet bum as we don't think he is grooming himself as he used to. He only has a small amount of nuggets' approx two tablespoons each day and a couple of leaves if kale, some fresh parsley and mint . He loves hay, especially readigrass and easily eats his own body size in hay each day. We are grooming his bottom but I'm just worried about this and thinking should I change his diet? My first thought is to reduce the nuggets but then he doesn't have that many? Any suggestions? I don't know if readigrass is more calorific than ordinary hay but he absolutely loves it. Any suggestions welcomed ....:)

As HB has suggested, I'd cut right back on the Readigrass as it is more calorific than hay. Most of my Rabbits are on a pellet free diet. They have a variety of hays, fresh and dried forage, fresh and dried herbs and some dark leafy green veg. I do feed them Readigrass, but only a small amount a day. The majority of their diet (90%) is various hays.

With regards to the wet bum. Is he wet from wee or poo ? As you are no doubt aware, he will be at high risk of flystrike if he is unable to keep himself clean.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

Has your NZW been checked over by the Vet recently ? That may be a good idea, the Vet may be able to clip the fur from his rear end which would help you with keeping him clean.

There are some tips about Rabbit Diets here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

Thanks for replies. I weighed his Excel nuggets and he doesn't have more than 20g /day (I give him and his partner 20g morning and night so as they share he is probably getting around 20, although he is a little pig so maybe a little more). We halved the amount last today so may continue to do see. I thought readigrass was the same as grass, so I was constantly topping up, so this is probably the reason. I think i'll mix with the meadow hay now. It is only wee on his bottom, no poop. He is not massively overweight but definitely not a skinny minnie. He takes loads of exercise. Me and my husband have trimmed his bottom area and will try to keep it short. I think he has prada Willi syndrome! if only I could lock up the cupboards ;)

Last edited:
This is a picture of him. He doesn't eat much carrot, this was just a special occasion for Brie's 5th birthday last year. It was a carrot cake ;) He likes his food!

20776397_10159086753275328_6192227447317485223_o.jpg

20861881_10159086753230328_3239902638601490171_o.jpg

This is a picture of him. He doesn't eat much carrot, this was just a special occasion for Brie's 5th birthday last year. It was a carrot cake ;) He likes his food!

20776397_10159086753275328_6192227447317485223_o.jpg

20861881_10159086753230328_3239902638601490171_o.jpg

I'm sorry I wasn't around to answer your first post, Compass.

But hey ...... that first photo is tremendous!

Please tell me you'll sell it somewhere, or make cards, as it looks so much like something out of Alice in Wonderland :D

:) what a great idea!
Here is a picture of the cake and the birthday bunny! The hat didn't last very long!
20748312_10159087647955328_2077494669023797608_o.jpg

20819281_10159087647930328_8603479146825024819_o.jpg

He's such a beautiful rabbit :love:

Everything about that first photo is just perfect, the white rabbit, the half-eaten cake, the paw on the table and the food sticking out of his mouth :)

He's such a beautiful rabbit :love:

Everything about that first photo is just perfect, the white rabbit, the half-eaten cake, the paw on the table and the food sticking out of his mouth :)
I should have given him a stop watch and a top hat! ��

Back