• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny ousted from the family group

russhill

Young Bun
Hi all, we have a family of 5 rabbits - mom and dad (Frisky and Cookie) and their 3 children (Popcorn, Cocoa and Chunk) all of whom are female and around 18 months old. They have up until now all lived happily in a large 8 foot, 2 story hutch - being let out in the garden run daily. Only the dad is neutered.

However, this week, there has been a change in behaviour and there has been a sudden increase in chasing and biting amongst all of them, but more often targeted at one specific female - "Popcorn". She has been the brunt of several attacks, with fur flying and lots of biting. So much so, we've had to re-house her in a 2 story hutch on her own. We have persisted with them all getting exercise in the garden at the same time, but again, this is accompanied by lots of chasing.

This situation is clearly not good as now she's feeling like she's in solitary confinement. It seems to have changed her personality a little as she was occasionally prone to lunging at you when you went to put toys in or change food, even when she was growing up, but this has become "the norm" now. Possibly as a result of her being on her own and miserable.

We are somewhat at our wits end now. We can't afford to get all 3 female children spayed (we had a £300+ vet bill last month for 2 dental procedures) - and from what I've read there's no saying that will help. Certainly, we always thought Cookie would become much more docile once he was neutered, but he is very often a main perpetrator in the chasing that goes on.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, the only way to re-bond the group is for all the females to be spayed. I'm sure you are aware, also, of the health implications of not having females neutered. Sorry, I can't offer any other advice but hope someone else sees your post.

It's possible she has an underlying illness making her appear weak and an easy target.

A full health check for her, setting up their enclosure so she has a hutch and run area within their area. (They can interact through the bars this way) and saving up for neutering.

I personally wouldn't attempt to rebond until all are neutered and allowed 6 weeks to heal.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It's possible she has an underlying illness making her appear weak and an easy target.

A full health check for her, setting up their enclosure so she has a hutch and run area within their area. (They can interact through the bars this way) and saving up for neutering.

I personally wouldn't attempt to rebond until all are neutered and allowed 6 weeks to heal.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Popcorn is the smallest (and cutest) of the bunch. She seems very lively, inquisitive and healthy. I think it's more a case of her being the smallest and easiest target...

Back