• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loss of appetite, is it the spurs?

Jambalu

Young Bun
I am hoping to get thoughts or opinions, I am extremely worried about my four year old doe Jasper. She hasn't eaten her food since this morning, she is very lethargic, she didn't come bounding up to me for food or want to play in the garden with her brothers. She really isn't herself, usually she is so outgoing and a little bullish. I immediately booked her in for an emergency vet appointment. The vet checked her over and noticed that she has some small spurs on her molars, he believes this to be the reason she isn't eating. He gave her some injections and booked her in tomorrow and then later to have surgery to rasp the spurs.

However, I can't help but worry that I am going to lose her, she seemed to be eating fine yesterday evening and being her usual self. I still haven't gotten her to eat since coming back from the vet, I have tried all of her favorite foods, softening and mashing up her pellets to see if it will be easier for her to eat. She just turns away from everything, her droppings are now so small and very dry, I am worried that her digestive tract is going to stop working all together. I am honestly panicking, I would be heartbroken to lose her and I feel like there is something I should be doing. I feel as though everything I know is telling me that a rabbit can not go 24 hours without eating, but the vet didn't mention anything about syringe feeding her, or try administering fluids. I don't know what to do, I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Many thanks.

Did the vet make any comment when he examined her tummy? Do you know what injections she was given (this is sometimes itemised on the bill)?

I am surprised that your vet did not recommend syringe feeding her if a blockage has been excluded and I would start to give syringe feeds if she is still not eating. Pellets mixed with water would be OK to syringe, if you don't have any recovery food. She will need to have some food before she has her dental tomorrow.

Did the vet make any comment when he examined her tummy? Do you know what injections she was given (this is sometimes itemised on the bill)?

I am surprised that your vet did not recommend syringe feeding her if a blockage has been excluded and I would start to give syringe feeds if she is still not eating. Pellets mixed with water would be OK to syringe, if you don't have any recovery food. She will need to have some food before she has her dental tomorrow.
As OMI has said.
It doesn't appear that your vet is concerned about a blockage so syringe feeding is going to be best overnight. You can always call the vets and double check over the phone - this is generally FOC as it's just over the phone advice.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your reply, all that the vet said regarding her tummy was that it definitely wasn't a fecal impaction. I am not sure exactly what the injections were as I didn't get an itemized bill. I do remember him saying that she felt a little warm, so possibly an antibiotic and maybe a painkiller? I should have asked more questions, I think I was just so worried I forgot everything that I needed to say.

I don't have a syringe to use, I have been trying my best to get her to eat the pellet mix out of a bowl and off my fingers, without success.
I don't know why he didn't even mention syringe feeding, thinking back I get the impression he was sure she would be in less pain and eat soon after returning home but I can't be certain that is what he was thinking. I am so scared that I am going to lose her if I can't get her to eat, I will be up all night trying, fingers crossed.

Have you got any strong-smelling herbs? Sometimes they will nibble at something like this, when they are not eating.

Have you got any strong-smelling herbs? Sometimes they will nibble at something like this, when they are not eating.

I do have some, she usually loves them, when I tried earlier she wasn't interested but I will keep trying, thanks again for your advice.

Poor baby, is there no way you can get a syringe from say Tesco? ,if they sell baby / todler calpol I think a syringe is in the box but not sure. If you do get a syringe and are not sure how to syringe feed her Google bunny burrito where you wrap your bun in a towel, I always found if made feeding easier. Put the syringe at the side of her mouth behind her front teeth. Dandilion leaves I found they would eat before herbs, if you could find some to try. Sending vibes for your littke one . I know how worrying a time like this can be.

Poor baby, is there no way you can get a syringe from say Tesco? ,if they sell baby / todler calpol I think a syringe is in the box but not sure. If you do get a syringe and are not sure how to syringe feed her Google bunny burrito where you wrap your bun in a towel, I always found if made feeding easier. Put the syringe at the side of her mouth behind her front teeth. Dandilion leaves I found they would eat before herbs, if you could find some to try. Sending vibes for your littke one . I know how worrying a time like this can be.

Thank you so much, unfortunately the nearest Tesco is 15 miles away and I don't drive. I am searching my cupboards to see if I have anything that could work though. I managed to get her to eat a few herbs but I stupidly cut my lawn a couple of days ago so there aren't any dandelions, I am thinking about going to a field that is near by but I am a little worried that there may be something on the leaves that could make her even more poorly, pesticides and such, though I am trying to research if these kind of nasties can be washed off.

She seems all hunched up as though she is in pain, it breaks my heart, she really means so much to me, I can't stand her being like this. It is my fault, I have been putting off their check up for a couple of months because I have been moving house, I shouldn't have done that.

How is your little one this morning?

She is still with us, though she is still not very well, the only thing I could get her to eat was a few herbs. Thank you for your advice and concern, we appreciate it.

Fingers crossed the vet will be able to get her eating again today, we go to see him in around 40 minutes. I will make sure to write down everything I want to ask so I don't leave without knowing everything this time. Having rabbits has been such a learning process for me, I am still learning new things all the time, I think one of those lessons is to have syringes and rescue remedy at home just in case.

If I were you I would discuss with your vet whether it would be advisable perhaps for your rabbit to be admitted for say 24 hours, so that the vet can stabilise her a bit more, before she has her dental.

Sending lots of vibes for her. Let us know how you get on.

I defo think your wee bun needs some food syringe fed before surgery just so she is a bit stronger for surgery like Omi says in maybe 24hrs time as she has went quite a while without food. Hope your vet visit goes well.

I am feeling distraught and honestly extremely angry. My sweet Jasper didn't make it.. I requested that the vet syringe feed her and treat her for suspected stasis before considering surgery, I left her believing that they would do that but instead they decided to go ahead with surgery before even trying to feed her. She passed soon after her surgery, I am furious with them. I can't help feeling as though they killed my baby, I just can't believe it. I knew she needed to be syringe fed before surgery, I don't understand why they decided not to do that. All they can say is, i am sorry unfortunately this is just what happens with rabbits. Argh, I know that I should have done better, I should have asked for rescue remedy the day before, I just thought that the vet knew best. I am so angry at myself for not trusting my own thoughts but more so at them, I can't believe that she is gone, she was the absolute light of my life.

I am feeling distraught and honestly extremely angry. My sweet Jasper didn't make it.. I requested that the vet syringe feed her and treat her for suspected stasis before considering surgery, I left her believing that they would do that but instead they decided to go ahead with surgery before even trying to feed her. She passed soon after her surgery, I am furious with them. I can't help feeling as though they killed my baby, I just can't believe it. I knew she needed to be syringe fed before surgery, I don't understand why they decided not to do that. All they can say is, i am sorry unfortunately this is just what happens with rabbits. Argh, I know that I should have done better, I should have asked for rescue remedy the day before, I just thought that the vet knew best. I am so angry at myself for not trusting my own thoughts but more so at them, I can't believe that she is gone, she was the absolute light of my life.

I have just read your thread and I am so very very sorry to hear this.

You must be devastated and heart-broken beyond words :(

I have just read your thread and I am so very very sorry to hear this.

You must be devastated and heart-broken beyond words :(

Thank you, I just don't know what to do without her, she was my first rabbit and taught me so much, I can't help feeling like I let her down. All I ever wanted was to give her a good life..
I signed the form for surgery believing that they would only go ahead if she was well enough, I can't understand why they did what they did.
I don't have children and to me Jasper and her brothers really are my family, they are all I have and it hurts so bad. I am so scared that I will lose Jared and Jensen too, every time I sit with them and feed them I just break down.. most people don't seem to understand just how much they mean to me. I miss her so so much, I didn't want to leave her there even though I knew she had gone, I just want her back.

Thank you, I just don't know what to do without her, she was my first rabbit and taught me so much, I can't help feeling like I let her down. All I ever wanted was to give her a good life..
I signed the form for surgery believing that they would only go ahead if she was well enough, I can't understand why they did what they did.
I don't have children and to me Jasper and her brothers really are my family, they are all I have and it hurts so bad. I am so scared that I will lose Jared and Jensen too, every time I sit with them and feed them I just break down.. most people don't seem to understand just how much they mean to me. I miss her so so much, I didn't want to leave her there even though I knew she had gone, I just want her back.

I understand. And people here will understand also. You are not alone.

You did your very best by her, and you can't do more than that. We entrust our beloved soulmates to vets and hope and pray that they will do their very best. Sometimes it just doesn't work out for whatever reason. Try not to blame yourself, though I know you will, at least for a time.

Jared and Jensen will be fine. They will be your comfort, but of course they are still here and your precious girl isn't.
It's so difficult.

Sending you love and hugs xx

IMG_20170416_102649_zpsuye0ttbh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am so very sorry :cry: I was concerned when we did not hear from you yesterday and feared this was the reason.

Sending lots of hugs.

So sorry Jambalu. They are your family and we do understand. It is a horrible time but it will pass X

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Back