• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay

glitterdust

Warren Scout
When Norah goes for her spay operation on Monday little Jimmy is allowed to go with her.. when she comes back what do I need to do? They currently live in a large shed with an attached run. Inside the shed is ramps and things to jump on , I'm presuming she won't be able to use them for a few days. The vet says I don't need to separate Jimmy afterwards they can stay together,apparently her stitches are not going to be visible.. I could bring them both inside and put them in a pen for a few days or I could buy a cage and place it in the shed but I am concerned it might stress them out not being able to snuggle together, also will I have to get a smaller litter tray so she doesn't have to jump in it, she loves to lie on the hay in her litter tray, will she still be able to do that.. any advice please as I want the best recovery possible for her and I want to be prepared. Thanks in advance

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

I'd bring them both in for the first night then return them back outside the next day as normal. Just remove or block off the ramps and higher areas for a couple days.

If she's not eating normally etc by the next morning I'd keep them in the house a bit longer.

Keep them together at all times. He'll help look after her:) x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you the vet did say it is better they stay together at all times, which is a really good thing. Thank you , it sounds less complicated than I thought.

Thank you the vet did say it is better they stay together at all times, which is a really good thing. Thank you , it sounds less complicated than I thought.

Forgot to add - make sure she's sent home with pain relief. If she's in pain, she'll be unlikely to eat properly. They normally dispense metacam which is given twice a day x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Do make sure that your Doe is prescribed an anti-inflammatory analgesic for 5-7 days post spay. She should be nibbling food and passing poo/wee before being discharged home. But if adequate pain relief is not given over the following days she may stop eating again and that can lead to gut stasis.

As D+P has mentioned,I would keep her indoors for the first night post surgery. A GA will lower her blood pressure and she could struggle to maintain her body temperature if she is outside.

Most companions are gentle with a Doe recovering from a spay and it is fine to leave them together. But very occasionally the Buck can take to humping/chasing the Doe and should this occur then they would need to be housed side by side and only have direct contact when someone is there to supervise them.

The surgical wound should be checked a couple of times a day. It should look clean and dry, no 'weeping' and the surrounding skin should not look red and 'angry'.

I would not allow her to use ramps etc or jump onto high surfaces for 14 days post surgery.

I hope all goes well for her xx

Back