• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nips and chases every time..

Azucena

Alpha Buck
I provisionally adopted Hugo to bond with my current rabbit. They have been living side by side for close to 6 weeks, occasionally being swapped over.
Whenever I try them together Hugo nips at Rose until she runs away and then he chases her. I split them up then as there is quite a size difference, with Hugo being the bigger rabbit.

In neutral space Hugo would have the 'advantage' as he is comfortable anywhere (he'll just walk out of his carrier straight away into any place) whereas it would take Rose a long time to feel comfortable, and she is already the submissive one. So Hugo enters Rose's section of the shed when I try them together. I sit giving them a small section of the section (!) so they don't really have room to chase, but he nips until she has to try and get away.

Will this bond ever work out?

Nipping is ok, but try to discourage it - making a loud noise every time he nips (my neighbours think I'm insane, because I would be squeaking in the bathroom!) Others might have more suggestions as well.

Personally I'd give more space so she can run away though.

I'm by no means an expert in this, so if someone with more experience with me disagrees with my post, listen to them! My advice would be to calm down and leave them be. Are you putting them in completely neutral space with no access to other areas? When we first put our two in neutral space the bigger of the two (who is twice the size of the smaller) nipped almost constantly. As long as there aren't any actual injuries, I don't think you need to interfere - our pair worked it out among themselves and it gradually calmed down and tapered off. I, too, was worried about the difference in size, but it was fine and I didn't have anything more than fur pulling. If you see an actual injury, or you think there may be one and want to check, of course intervene, but if the nipping isn't causing any damage, I think the best thing would be to leave them alone to work it out. I would also put them only in strictly neutral territory - I don't know, but I don't think a bond would really build in space that one of them already inhabits?

I'm by no means an expert in this, so if someone with more experience with me disagrees with my post, listen to them! My advice would be to calm down and leave them be. Are you putting them in completely neutral space with no access to other areas? When we first put our two in neutral space the bigger of the two (who is twice the size of the smaller) nipped almost constantly. As long as there aren't any actual injuries, I don't think you need to interfere - our pair worked it out among themselves and it gradually calmed down and tapered off. I, too, was worried about the difference in size, but it was fine and I didn't have anything more than fur pulling. If you see an actual injury, or you think there may be one and want to check, of course intervene, but if the nipping isn't causing any damage, I think the best thing would be to leave them alone to work it out. I would also put them only in strictly neutral territory - I don't know, but I don't think a bond would really build in space that one of them already inhabits?
Montys Human has got it :)

Definitely ensure the area is fully neuteral. I.e. neither bunny has been there before.

So long as there is no boxing, rolling on floor together, circling or bites that break the skin I wouldn't be concerned.

Constantly separating them after dominant displays can cause confusion and actually encourage them to show this behaviour.

So long as there is no physical injury, and the area is neuteral they'll sort it out.

Normal dominance displays.... nipping, chasing (for a few seconds), humping, pushing head under other bunny's chin & fur pulling. These are all fine and should be allowed.
Things to stop but not nesicarrily stop the bonding.... chasing (more than a few seconds), boxing, circling (stop it right away - this is precursor to a fight), rolling on floor together.
If there are bites that break the skin you will need to use your judgement on if you should continue or not... if it's a tiny little nip and the fighting was only for a couple seconds I tend to allow them to continue bonding. If it's large or deep etc then I split them up and seek veterinary attention.

Bunny bonding is highly stressful for us humans, and bunny's. What looks like serious aggression (nipping, fur pulling, chasing) is actually just normal dominance displays which cause no real harm.

If you're worried about size difference, get a few cardboard boxes, just big enough for one bunny to fit in, with two bunny size holes cut in it (one entrance, and one exit). This will allow the smaller of the two to hide.

Again, ensure the area is 100% neuteral or you will get fighting as they attempt to protect their territory.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

I don't really have a totally neutral space, so I figured an area they've both been is the next best thing. Also, as Rose is so scared in new places, I thought it'd disadvantage her even more? She isn't displaying any aggression, but hides from him and thumps. Whereas he did a binky!

The problem is I'm not able to supervise them for hours, so I do have to keep splitting them up, although they live side by side (mesh). I know this isn't ideal but I don't really have an option other than that!

I've become so nervous about them fighting that I'm struggling to let him close to her and can't help putting my hand between them because I know it's just going to be nipping and fur flying.. I'm really not cut out for this!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I don't really have a totally neutral space, so I figured an area they've both been is the next best thing. Also, as Rose is so scared in new places, I thought it'd disadvantage her even more? She isn't displaying any aggression, but hides from him and thumps. Whereas he did a binky!

The problem is I'm not able to supervise them for hours, so I do have to keep splitting them up, although they live side by side (mesh). I know this isn't ideal but I don't really have an option other than that!

I've become so nervous about them fighting that I'm struggling to let him close to her and can't help putting my hand between them because I know it's just going to be nipping and fur flying.. I'm really not cut out for this!

Have they ever been in your bathroom? That's where I bonded ours.

I'd suggest you clear a day or two where you can supervise them the whole time (you can pop to the next room for short periods). If they only ever get an hour or two together at a time, you'll struggle to move forward.

I'd suggest you clear a day or two where you can supervise them the whole time (you can pop to the next room for short periods). If they only ever get an hour or two together at a time, you'll struggle to move forward.
Just what I was going to suggest.

If you PM me with your location - I can look to come and help you on a day you're free so I can help guide you with what behaviour to allow.

That's exactly what we did too! Rabbits shut in the bathroom, one of us in with them - we started bonding on a Saturday morning, and by Sunday evening we were able to leave them alone and just keep an ear out for anything we might need to go and investigate. If it's just nipping and fur pulling, then there's no need to worry, either. Indeed, one of our bunnies was still getting over moulting, so I think all of the fur pulling helped speed it up a bit! You can also neutralise a place with some good cleaning to make space for bonding. With the hesitation about new places - I left them to it at first, and if it was clear that one bunny was "taking over" the space because the other wouldn't come out, I'd use treats/pellets/veg in a central location to tempt them both to come together. That seemed to result mostly in more nipping/chasing, but a couple of goes was enough to get both bunnies out and exploring their environment. You also say Rose hides - as harsh as it sounds, I think you need to remove any possible hiding places. The only way they'll get together is to fight it out and reach an agreement - you just have to be on hand to make sure it doesn't get too out of control. (They can look really violent - I know ours damaged furniture in one of their "fights" it got so intense - but actually, they both came out unscathed. I've just turned round now (less than two weeks later) to see one flumped out across the floor having their ears groomed by the other. So aggression which isn't causing injury isn't anything to be too concerned about, I don't think.)

Thanks for the reply.

Hi there :)

There seems to be several issues thwarting your good bonding attempts, as I see it:

You don't have a neutral space. Can you sterilise the floor of the kitchen or bathroom and use in there? Make it smell different by safe cleaning?

You can't supervise for hours. If you keep splitting them up, you'll never know how they will be together. Sooner or later they will have to be together full time. Is there anyone who can help/do this for you in their home?

You are nervous. This is doom to bonding - you have to have 100% confidence that it will succeed! Intervening with your hand not only disrupts the bonding process, but you could get hurt!

Just what I was going to suggest.

If you PM me with your location - I can look to come and help you on a day you're free so I can help guide you with what behaviour to allow.

Thank you, that is a very kind offer. Unfortunately I'm no where near Cambridge.

Hi there :)

There seems to be several issues thwarting your good bonding attempts, as I see it:

You don't have a neutral space. Can you sterilise the floor of the kitchen or bathroom and use in there? Make it smell different by safe cleaning?

You can't supervise for hours. If you keep splitting them up, you'll never know how they will be together. Sooner or later they will have to be together full time. Is there anyone who can help/do this for you in their home?

You are nervous. This is doom to bonding - you have to have 100% confidence that it will succeed! Intervening with your hand not only disrupts the bonding process, but you could get hurt!

Unfortunately there are dogs inside so they can't be in the house, which really leaves 1 and 2 to be permanent problems!
That's why I was trying for the 'long bond' hoping that after being side by side for so long and swapping living quarters they'd be fine. It worked for Humphrey and Rose.

After the loss of Humphrey I know I'm probably being over protective of Rose as she's all I've got left of him if that makes sense.

I'm not really in the position where I can bond, but there aren't any rescues nearby which offer bonding.

(But I'm wearing gloves, otherwise I definitely would have been hurt!)

Unfortunately there are dogs inside so they can't be in the house, which really leaves 1 and 2 to be permanent problems!
That's why I was trying for the 'long bond' hoping that after being side by side for so long and swapping living quarters they'd be fine. It worked for Humphrey and Rose.

After the loss of Humphrey I know I'm probably being over protective of Rose as she's all I've got left of him if that makes sense.

I'm not really in the position where I can bond, but there aren't any rescues nearby which offer bonding.

(But I'm wearing gloves, otherwise I definitely would have been hurt!)

Put a baby gate on the bathroom door, and don't let the dogs in?

Sleeping bag in the shed? :shock: (are they in a shed?)

Put a baby gate on the bathroom door, and don't let the dogs in?

Sleeping bag in the shed? :shock: (are they in a shed?)

Unfortunately the dogs are terriers so couldn't be trusted with that set up.

They are in a shed, but I'm allergic to hay so definitely no sleeping there!

Back