• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit is not eating tonight

BenjiBun

Young Bun
Hi there my other rabbit Mia has not eaten her salad or nuggets this evening. She was fine this morning and had eaten and was playing, tonight she is totally uninterested in any food and is just sitting hiding under the table or runs to the litter tray but just sits in it doing nothing. Her belly feels soft but when I try to massage it she runs away and makes little crunchy noises from her teeth. Not really loud grinding but as if she's nibbling a bit of hay, that kind of little noise.
I don't know what to do I've tried syringing some water and cbiotic tummy care diluted but it just runs out of her mouth.
I'm scared incase she has something deadly and I'm just siting watching. I'm unable to get to a vet and don't have rabbit meds. We can't get anything unless it's prescribed.
Also my rabbits aren't cuddly types that allow you to pick them up and perform nail trims or tummy rubs unlike all the videos out there where folks can hold and stroke their rabbits. Unfortunately I have to love from afar so administering meds is very stressful and I feel like a terrible person afterwards.

Any advice about her not eating or if this is common and could come out of it by herself would be much appreciated

I'm keeping an eye on her but feel helpless until I can see a vet

Thanks in advance [emoji18]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww bless her, sending lots of vibes xxx

Do you know If she's actually eaten anything? Herbs, veg or hay?

And is she pooping? If not, you really need to get her to a vet ASAP, hope you don't mind me asking, but why are you unable too?

Is there anything anyone local to you can do to help?

Last edited:
The sound you can hear is pain. Her tummy is hurting her, a rabbit in pain is highly unlikely to eat.

What is your reason for being unable to get to a vet? Personally, I'd be calling friends and asking neighbours to drive me to a lift, or calling a taxi.

When did you last see her eat food? When did you last see her pass faeces and what did it look like?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi there RuthyJones

Thanks for the vibes [emoji5] I think they've helped a bit as since I wrote that I made her some mushed up pellets and she's started to take a bit. I'm so relieved just now.
Sorry I think in my haste to write my question I missed that I just don't have access to a vet this evening due to the time of night. I was just panicking incase she took a turn for the worse over night. But hopefully whatever little bubble of gas or whatever was wrong has passed or eased.
Maybe next time I'll learn to wait a little before freaking out [emoji6]
She had eaten some hay earlier in the day and a couple of her pellets when I set her dinner down but then that's when she suddenly stopped, I was thinking either tooth pain or gas.

Well she's hopping about and nudging me now so she's looking a lot brighter, so I'm going to keep an eye on her and watch her poops too. I must say they did seem to get a little smaller a couple of days ago but she was still pooping and eating so I wasn't too worried as she still had a healthy appetite but tonight gave me a bit of a fright.

Thanks again for your help [emoji1384]

Hi there RuthyJones

Thanks for the vibes [emoji5] I think they've helped a bit as since I wrote that I made her some mushed up pellets and she's started to take a bit. I'm so relieved just now.
Sorry I think in my haste to write my question I missed that I just don't have access to a vet this evening due to the time of night. I was just panicking incase she took a turn for the worse over night. But hopefully whatever little bubble of gas or whatever was wrong has passed or eased.
Maybe next time I'll learn to wait a little before freaking out [emoji6]
She had eaten some hay earlier in the day and a couple of her pellets when I set her dinner down but then that's when she suddenly stopped, I was thinking either tooth pain or gas.

Well she's hopping about and nudging me now so she's looking a lot brighter, so I'm going to keep an eye on her and watch her poops too. I must say they did seem to get a little smaller a couple of days ago but she was still pooping and eating so I wasn't too worried as she still had a healthy appetite but tonight gave me a bit of a fright.

Thanks again for your help [emoji1384]

Glad she began eating again.

Generally you don't need to start panicking unless it's been about 2 to 3 hours since eating, if they are refusing food. ;) x

Thanks daphnepheobe for your posts. I'm keeping an eye on her poops and this morning she does seem bright again. And has her appetite back. Like you say, I'll wait a little longer next time before reacting.
Thanks for your help and advice x [emoji5]

I'd say its normal to worry & difficult to stave off worrying. Great she has her appetite back

Thanks daphnepheobe for your posts. I'm keeping an eye on her poops and this morning she does seem bright again. And has her appetite back. Like you say, I'll wait a little longer next time before reacting.
Thanks for your help and advice x [emoji5]

Sorry I've only just seen your thread - glad to hear all is well :)

If Mia stops eating again and doesn't pick up within a few hours then an emergency vet visit would be necessary in this situation.
Rabbits have a habit of getting ill in the middle of the night or over the weekend when our usual vets are closed! It might be an idea to track down your nearest out of hours vet and also set up an emergency vet/transport fund becuase they are usually quite expensive :shock:
Glad to see that she is eating again and that she is feeling more like herself :)
X

If Mia stops eating again and doesn't pick up within a few hours then an emergency vet visit would be necessary in this situation.
Rabbits have a habit of getting ill in the middle of the night or over the weekend when our usual vets are closed! It might be an idea to track down your nearest out of hours vet and also set up an emergency vet/transport fund becuase they are usually quite expensive :shock:
Glad to see that she is eating again and that she is feeling more like herself :)
X

I know, they do don't they. [emoji57] thanks, you're right I have now located an out of hours service that I can call if bad times happen again. I've also cut out all treats for the time being so it's just salad in the morning hay all the time and some nuggets in the evening. Just to be safe so I know they've got full hay going through their little systems well.
I wonder sometimes what's in half of these treats you buy, I don't pick some of them up but many of the ingredients I've been told aren't suitable for buns but the pet shops still seem to sell them, but I guess that's for another topic
Thanks roxyroller [emoji5]

I know, they do don't they. [emoji57] thanks, you're right I have now located an out of hours service that I can call if bad times happen again. I've also cut out all treats for the time being so it's just salad in the morning hay all the time and some nuggets in the evening. Just to be safe so I know they've got full hay going through their little systems well.
I wonder sometimes what's in half of these treats you buy, I don't pick some of them up but many of the ingredients I've been told aren't suitable for buns but the pet shops still seem to sell them, but I guess that's for another topic
Thanks roxyroller [emoji5]

You can make your own treats quite easily.
Can PM me if you'd like, or have a look on the forum... there are a few threads on home made treats if I remember correctly.

Back