Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Rabbit is not eating tonight

  1. #1

    Default Rabbit is not eating tonight

    Hi there my other rabbit Mia has not eaten her salad or nuggets this evening. She was fine this morning and had eaten and was playing, tonight she is totally uninterested in any food and is just sitting hiding under the table or runs to the litter tray but just sits in it doing nothing. Her belly feels soft but when I try to massage it she runs away and makes little crunchy noises from her teeth. Not really loud grinding but as if she's nibbling a bit of hay, that kind of little noise.
    I don't know what to do I've tried syringing some water and cbiotic tummy care diluted but it just runs out of her mouth.
    I'm scared incase she has something deadly and I'm just siting watching. I'm unable to get to a vet and don't have rabbit meds. We can't get anything unless it's prescribed.
    Also my rabbits aren't cuddly types that allow you to pick them up and perform nail trims or tummy rubs unlike all the videos out there where folks can hold and stroke their rabbits. Unfortunately I have to love from afar so administering meds is very stressful and I feel like a terrible person afterwards.

    Any advice about her not eating or if this is common and could come out of it by herself would be much appreciated

    I'm keeping an eye on her but feel helpless until I can see a vet

    Thanks in advance


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Mama Doe Ruthyjones89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,789

    Default

    Aww bless her, sending lots of vibes xxx

    Do you know If she's actually eaten anything? Herbs, veg or hay?

    And is she pooping? If not, you really need to get her to a vet ASAP, hope you don't mind me asking, but why are you unable too?

    Is there anything anyone local to you can do to help?
    Last edited by Ruthyjones89; 12-08-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,479

    Default

    The sound you can hear is pain. Her tummy is hurting her, a rabbit in pain is highly unlikely to eat.

    What is your reason for being unable to get to a vet? Personally, I'd be calling friends and asking neighbours to drive me to a lift, or calling a taxi.

    When did you last see her eat food? When did you last see her pass faeces and what did it look like?

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Default

    Hi there RuthyJones

    Thanks for the vibes I think they've helped a bit as since I wrote that I made her some mushed up pellets and she's started to take a bit. I'm so relieved just now.
    Sorry I think in my haste to write my question I missed that I just don't have access to a vet this evening due to the time of night. I was just panicking incase she took a turn for the worse over night. But hopefully whatever little bubble of gas or whatever was wrong has passed or eased.
    Maybe next time I'll learn to wait a little before freaking out
    She had eaten some hay earlier in the day and a couple of her pellets when I set her dinner down but then that's when she suddenly stopped, I was thinking either tooth pain or gas.

    Well she's hopping about and nudging me now so she's looking a lot brighter, so I'm going to keep an eye on her and watch her poops too. I must say they did seem to get a little smaller a couple of days ago but she was still pooping and eating so I wasn't too worried as she still had a healthy appetite but tonight gave me a bit of a fright.

    Thanks again for your help


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenjiBun View Post
    Hi there RuthyJones

    Thanks for the vibes I think they've helped a bit as since I wrote that I made her some mushed up pellets and she's started to take a bit. I'm so relieved just now.
    Sorry I think in my haste to write my question I missed that I just don't have access to a vet this evening due to the time of night. I was just panicking incase she took a turn for the worse over night. But hopefully whatever little bubble of gas or whatever was wrong has passed or eased.
    Maybe next time I'll learn to wait a little before freaking out
    She had eaten some hay earlier in the day and a couple of her pellets when I set her dinner down but then that's when she suddenly stopped, I was thinking either tooth pain or gas.

    Well she's hopping about and nudging me now so she's looking a lot brighter, so I'm going to keep an eye on her and watch her poops too. I must say they did seem to get a little smaller a couple of days ago but she was still pooping and eating so I wasn't too worried as she still had a healthy appetite but tonight gave me a bit of a fright.

    Thanks again for your help


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad she began eating again.

    Generally you don't need to start panicking unless it's been about 2 to 3 hours since eating, if they are refusing food. x

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks daphnepheobe for your posts. I'm keeping an eye on her poops and this morning she does seem bright again. And has her appetite back. Like you say, I'll wait a little longer next time before reacting.
    Thanks for your help and advice x


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    8,001

    Default

    I'd say its normal to worry & difficult to stave off worrying. Great she has her appetite back

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    31,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenjiBun View Post
    Thanks daphnepheobe for your posts. I'm keeping an eye on her poops and this morning she does seem bright again. And has her appetite back. Like you say, I'll wait a little longer next time before reacting.
    Thanks for your help and advice x


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Sorry I've only just seen your thread - glad to hear all is well

  9. #9
    Mama Doe roxyroller88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newcastle-U-Lyme
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    If Mia stops eating again and doesn't pick up within a few hours then an emergency vet visit would be necessary in this situation.
    Rabbits have a habit of getting ill in the middle of the night or over the weekend when our usual vets are closed! It might be an idea to track down your nearest out of hours vet and also set up an emergency vet/transport fund becuase they are usually quite expensive
    Glad to see that she is eating again and that she is feeling more like herself
    X
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    If Mia stops eating again and doesn't pick up within a few hours then an emergency vet visit would be necessary in this situation.
    Rabbits have a habit of getting ill in the middle of the night or over the weekend when our usual vets are closed! It might be an idea to track down your nearest out of hours vet and also set up an emergency vet/transport fund becuase they are usually quite expensive
    Glad to see that she is eating again and that she is feeling more like herself
    X
    I know, they do don't they. thanks, you're right I have now located an out of hours service that I can call if bad times happen again. I've also cut out all treats for the time being so it's just salad in the morning hay all the time and some nuggets in the evening. Just to be safe so I know they've got full hay going through their little systems well.
    I wonder sometimes what's in half of these treats you buy, I don't pick some of them up but many of the ingredients I've been told aren't suitable for buns but the pet shops still seem to sell them, but I guess that's for another topic
    Thanks roxyroller


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •