Thread: Brambles? Could I please get a quick opinion on these plants?

Default Brambles? Could I please get a quick opinion on these plants?

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been around. Work has me running like a headless chicken but I'm so glad to have a job. I had a question about forage that I'd like to pose.
    My yard has things in it that look like raspberry canes but they produce neither flowers, nor fruit. I'm wondering, since we've been here a year and not personally sprayed any pesticides, is it possible they are safe for bunny consumption? The former tenants did have dogs (and may have had exterminators out for roof rats, but specifically requested no toxins where their pets could access, so would likely have been restricted to attic or basement pest control.)
    One cane has grown thick and wild up thru a topiary and can't be reached by dog waste. My biggest concern is there are bug trails in some of the leaves, plus we do get raccoons and skunks in our yard.

Any opinions? I will try to attach a photo. Have to hope I can find a host first.
    Many TIA

Hope these are viewable...using Google again for the moment:

Sorry they are so huge. I'm on my way to work soon and can't figure out how to resize. The last is blurry but I wanted to get a shot of the cane but I must have been too close and I figure I've given my neighbors enough crazy to speculate about this morning.

Those look exactly like brambles to me

Thanks MM Yeah, I don't think there are many poisonous plants that look like brambles, so I'm guessing these are the real deal.

With all the torrential rain we had last year, anything nasty should be washed away, right? We've been pretty dry this summer though. I know the neighbors on either side of me spray for bugs and stuff, but I don't think it gets over here, if all those nibbles are any indication.

Now if I could only identify the little yellow flowers in the background. The petals are like scotch broom, but the plant itself is more like clover. It's all over my lawn. Regardless, I have to mow them down before the ex gets back because the grass is all overgrown again and he's going to have a stroke if he sees it like this.

Mama Doe

Looks like a bramble to us as well. The ones over here are fruiting, which would be a useful indicator for identification.

Brambles for sure. There are some near me that don't fruit as they were regularly cut back/down by council.
    Because your neighbours do spray, I'd only take cuttings after a heavy rain. (You can always collect a load at that point and dry some).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Warren Veteran

I think your little yellow flowers could be a Vetch.

Brambles only fruit on last year's wood so these look like the tasty new stuff! Buns won't always eat the leading shoots (the very new bits) as they contain a nasty-tasting chemical to stop the ends being eating so the plant can grow. Mine usually get desperate enough to eat them eventually though (god that sounds harsh! )
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    Brambles only fruit on last year's wood so these look like the tasty new stuff! Buns won't always eat the leading shoots (the very new bits) as they contain a nasty-tasting chemical to stop the ends being eating so the plant can grow. Mine usually get desperate enough to eat them eventually though (god that sounds harsh! )

Yes KK, why don't you wade into the thick of the brambles and tear yourself to shreds to get the best leaves for them?