Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with frequent dentals

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Spurs can be covered by insurance with the right insurers. Petplan pay out of Erin's and Pets at Home pay out for Benji and Lola. Erin's are about 3 months apart too and she is 9.5 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra*323 View Post
    Really?? Tango is with Pets at Home. What do your vets put it down as on the form? It's about 170 a go, the excess is 75 plus 10% but it would still be a help...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Each insurer is different.

Now that the dental problem has been noted, moving insurance companies it would be classed as a pre-existing condition and wouldn't be covered.

Your current policy may not cover dental procedures, you'd have to check your small print.
    Does Willow get stasis or inappitence with the dental spurs? If so this is what my vets will put the treatment under (normally inappitence) but I'm with Petplan and been insured with them from day 1 so I'm gaurenteed a pay out.

I used to work in vet practice and one of my jobs was the insurance forms and advice. If you want to send over the small print to my email I can have a quick read and see if I can find out for you.
    Another way is to just ask your vets to put in a claim for anything in the last 12 months and see if it'll be paid that way.

(I did mean to write about the insurance side too but I forgot)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hmm. Small print does say no but is the same as BunnyBuddy who managed to claim which surprised me!
    He's claimed for lack of appetite related costs due to teeth before, but I know the signs so well now that I just go straight to dental now when he shows them.

Warren Scout

That's significantly more than I pay for a dental but I realise that I'm lucky to have a rabbit savvy vet that's also affordable close to me.

Tricky when you trust your vet which is obviously worth a lot, but makes me wonder if you could enquire about any other good ones in the area and shop around.

Warren Scout

Empathy for the trickiness of having a rabbit that needs regular dentals as well. It's horrible to put them through it apart from anything else isn't it?

The price includes a drip to keep his fluids up, which is an extra on top of the dental price. I could save 50 there but he's always quite slow to come round and I don't want to tempt fate by opting out of that. I think in future I may have to though

Hmm. Small print does say no but is the same as BunnyBuddy who managed to claim which surprised me!
    He's claimed for lack of appetite related costs due to teeth before, but I know the signs so well now that I just go straight to dental now when he shows them.

I'll have a little dig into the small print and try to find a loop hole.

(Bunny Buddy may have different small print to you if the policy was taken out at a different time of year).

If you've tried to claim before, you can always call and ask why they won't cover it. It could be something such as previously noted before at a visit before any insurance was taken out. It could also be that they'll only accept them if the condition is put under gut stasis.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Both my rabbits with p@h who have had dentals did have stasis prior to the dental. T&c says I have an allowance for dental treatment.

My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Really?? Tango is with Pets at Home. What do your vets put it down as on the form? It's about 170 a go, the excess is 75 plus 10% but it would still be a help...

Yes that's quite a lot. Even for a dental under GA, I wouldn't expect to pay that. 50 for fluids is also a lot - I always feel it should be 'standard' as people can knock that off if they need to save money and it may not be in the rabbit's best interests.

My terms and conditions for P@H. There is a 350 allowance for dental treatment.

"Your policy covers the cost of treatment for a dental injury or illness providing your pet had a dental examination carried out by a vet in the 12 months before the injury happened or the illness was first noticed. See veterinary fees 'what is not covered' - point 13". The wording on Point 13 is exactly the same as that in quotes.

I can't see why they wouldn't pay as long as it's not deemed to be pre-existing and the necessary dental check has been carried out in the previous 12 months

Erin's treatment goes down as "Mouth and oral disorders" but it started with an abscess and the dental treatment is a result of the removal of the abscess and tooth.

My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    My terms and conditions for P@H. There is a 350 allowance for dental treatment.

"Your policy covers the cost of treatment for a dental injury or illness providing your pet had a dental examination carried out by a vet in the 12 months before the injury happened or the illness was first noticed. See veterinary fees 'what is not covered' - point 13". The wording on Point 13 is exactly the same as that in quotes.

I can't see why they wouldn't pay as long as it's not deemed to be pre-existing and the necessary dental check has been carried out in the previous 12 months

Erin's treatment goes down as "Mouth and oral disorders" but it started with an abscess and the dental treatment is a result of the removal of the abscess and tooth.
    I agree, if it states that in the T+C then they cant wriggle out of paying. Although as with most Insurance Companies they will probably try x