Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling with frequent dentals

Default Struggling with frequent dentals

Hi all,

I don't post often but hope you don't mind me venting some frustration with like minded people!

My rescue bun Tango (1 of 4) needs his teeth burred every 3-4 months and it's getting stressful. He's always been a bit prone to stasis, but is coming up to 7 years old now and has only needed dentals for the last year or so. He gets spurs facing his tongue but only one one side, suggesting he's eating enough hay but favouring one side more than the other. He is the only lop of the 4 which I think perhaps isn't a coincidence.

I have a brilliant vet who I'm confident is rabbit savvy, and despite the vet trips causing a bit of tension at home I know I'll carry on giving Tango everything he needs despite the cost because I love him to pieces and he's my responsibility.

But aaaarrgghh I wish spurs were covered by the insurance! Thanks for reading if you got this far

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by sierra*323 View Post
    Hi all,

I don't post often but hope you don't mind me venting some frustration with like minded people!

My rescue bun Tango (1 of 4) needs his teeth burred every 3-4 months and it's getting stressful. He's always been a bit prone to stasis, but is coming up to 7 years old now and has only needed dentals for the last year or so. He gets spurs facing his tongue but only one one side, suggesting he's eating enough hay but favouring one side more than the other. He is the only lop of the 4 which I think perhaps isn't a coincidence.

I have a brilliant vet who I'm confident is rabbit savvy, and despite the vet trips causing a bit of tension at home I know I'll carry on giving Tango everything he needs despite the cost because I love him to pieces and he's my responsibility.

But aaaarrgghh I wish spurs were covered by the insurance! Thanks for reading if you got this far
    I'm sorry that Tango has ongoing Dental problems. At least you have confidence in your Vet, that is always a plus. But of course the recurring stress for Tango and for you is not great and I empathise.

Hi all,

Awww sierra, I understand this! many people contact me privately with just this issue. Sometimes their rabbits are needing dentals as frequently as every two weeks and in some cases the GA needed is enough to cause further debilitating health problems.

The answer for me with rabbits in this position, and I've had some who could never have a GA, was to go down the 'conscious dental' route, where the rabbit is burrito'd and held securely by a nurse. People think that their rabbit will be far too wriggly for this procedure, and that it's cruel, but it's not done in the same way as when a GA is applied, so there's no comparison really

Feelings run high when I mention conscious dentals and I've had vitriolic personal attacks That's made some people very reluctant to discuss dental issues in pubic, but I am always available for private consultation

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund acknowledge the need for conscious dentals and I have witnessed many over the last 25 years. 2 very skilled vets (and one vet will freely admit she does not have the confidence, for which I respect her) perform the task within a couple of minutes or so and of course there's no recovery time. My rabbits are all eating straight away they get home and the cost is just that of a standard consult.

But yes, I agree with you, I wish spurs were covered by insurance!

How much are you paying for your dentals?

Mama Doe

I have the same problem with my Honey bun. So I know how you feel

I was having the same problem with my Phoebe. She was needing a GA and dental spurs treated every 6 weeks. (She always got them on the Right side, pointing to her cheek).

We've since removed all pellets from the diet so she's a hay, veg and forage only bu and we've not had to do a dental for almost 6 months. Her check up last month showed tiny spurs, but nothing needing treatment.

I'm with MM. Some buns are suited to conscious but there are risks. I've taken part in some conscious dentals for rabbits who were needed them every 3 to 4 weeks and they coped well. Others needed to have a GA. It's all preference and putting the bunny's welfare and needs first.

(Our dental treatment was an average of 130 each time)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Spurs can be covered by insurance with the right insurers. Petplan pay out of Erin's and Pets at Home pay out for Benji and Lola. Erin's are about 3 months apart too and she is 9.5 years old.

My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Spurs can be covered by insurance with the right insurers. Petplan pay out of Erin's and Pets at Home pay out for Benji and Lola. Erin's are about 3 months apart too and she is 9.5 years old.
    Really?? Tango is with Pets at Home. What do your vets put it down as on the form? It's about 170 a go, the excess is 75 plus 10% but it would still be a help...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Really?? Tango is with Pets at Home. What do your vets put it down as on the form? It's about 170 a go, the excess is 75 plus 10% but it would still be a help...

I don't know but I will try to find out. I have a claim in for Benji at the moment so hopefully I can find out easily.

My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Thank you. And thanks all for your replies
    I'd never even considered a conscious dental, but I don't think Tango would cope. He's never been a people rabbit, took me a year to be allowed to give him a nose rub!

Thank you. And thanks all for your replies
    I'd never even considered a conscious dental, but I don't think Tango would cope. He's never been a people rabbit, took me a year to be allowed to give him a nose rub!

That's what everyone says

My most aggressive female who wouldn't tolerate anyone had to have conscious dentals throughout her life