Thread: Feeding a giant (Beveren)

Default Feeding a giant (Beveren)

After the loss of Humphrey I've adopted Hugo, a young (6/7 months) Beveren rescue, subject to bonding with Rose.
    I know that about an egg cup of pellets per day is recommended for a normal sized rabbit, but what would you recommend feeding a giant, both now and as he gets older? Google says Beverens reach about 5kg but I haven't weighed him.

Thanks.

Warren Veteran

What are you feeding him now? Do you know what he was fed on in the rescue?

I would weigh him now, or get him weighed. Then you will know how far off adult he is. I would imagine that at 6/7 months he would be classed as adult now. If you weigh him and then continue to weigh him regularly, you will be able to monitor whether he is being fed the right amount of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Azucena View Post
    After the loss of Humphrey I've adopted Hugo, a young (6/7 months) Beveren rescue, subject to bonding with Rose.
    I know that about an egg cup of pellets per day is recommended for a normal sized rabbit, but what would you recommend feeding a giant, both now and as he gets older? Google says Beverens reach about 5kg but I haven't weighed him.

Thanks.

How lovely to have found a Beveren

I would say he's an adult at around 8 months or older, so a little time yet perhaps.

Did the Rescue give you any guidelines, and more importantly, any change over food?

Yes I would say roughly 5kg for a grown Beveren.

I would weigh him and keep a note of how he's doing.

There's some info here, where just over an eggcup full is recommended each day, once an adult:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/...Guidelines.pdf

Any photos??

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    What are you feeding him now? Do you know what he was fed on in the rescue?

I would weigh him now, or get him weighed. Then you will know how far off adult he is. I would imagine that at 6/7 months he would be classed as adult now. If you weigh him and then continue to weigh him regularly, you will be able to monitor whether he is being fed the right amount of food.
    Burgess excel adult with mint for both!
    I think he's definitely still growing at the minute! When I visited him at his foster home, he and his sister both jumped up and sat on my knee... I'm not sure that woould be possible now!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    How lovely to have found a Beveren

I would say he's an adult at around 8 months or older, so a little time yet perhaps.

Did the Rescue give you any guidelines, and more importantly, any change over food?

Yes I would say roughly 5kg for a grown Beveren.

I would weigh him and keep a note of how he's doing.

There's some info here, where just over an eggcup full is recommended each day, once an adult:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/...Guidelines.pdf

Any photos??

Thank you, he's lovely Apparently he was hand reared so he's super friendly.
    I'm pretty sure he's still growing at the minute! His ears still seem ridiculously out of proportion too
    The fosterer just fed ad lib nuggets so I've done the same so far, but as he gets older I'm wondering what the restrict them to, due to his size. He currently gets at least about 8 eggcups per day.
    Rose gets about half an eggcup per day plus a few Fibafirst sticks, but she's about 2/3kg.

Thank you, he's lovely Apparently he was hand reared so he's super friendly.
    I'm pretty sure he's still growing at the minute! His ears still seem ridiculously out of proportion too
    The fosterer just fed ad lib nuggets so I've done the same so far, but as he gets older I'm wondering what the restrict them to, due to his size. He currently gets at least about 8 eggcups per day.
    Rose gets about half an eggcup per day plus a few Fibafirst sticks, but she's about 2/3kg.

Yes I would do the same - free feed as he isn't all grown up yet, lovely boy

Once he's fully grown and settled into his ears, you can work out a feeding regime for the pair of them. I would suggest eventually 1 to 2 eggcups full and weigh him and take it from there.

(and don't tell Rosie )

Oh he's beautiful

And so is photobomb Rosie

Awww I love Rosie! What a beautiful couple of rabbits you have there.