• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Astilbe

Captspar

New Kit
Hi! We have just acquired two young bunnies. I don't have a garden but do have a back yard which they love to explore, and have a small selection of plants growing there. I'm trying to identify which of these are harmful. I know the lavender is safe for them to nibble and the peony is not, but does anybody know about astilbe? I've read it's a plant usually left alone by rabbits, but apparently my two haven't got the memo :lol: as they just will not leave it alone. I can't seem to find anything very helpful in my research. Please can anyone help/advise?

Hi! We have just acquired two young bunnies. I don't have a garden but do have a back yard which they love to explore, and have a small selection of plants growing there. I'm trying to identify which of these are harmful. I know the lavender is safe for them to nibble and the peony is not, but does anybody know about astilbe? I've read it's a plant usually left alone by rabbits, but apparently my two haven't got the memo :lol: as they just will not leave it alone. I can't seem to find anything very helpful in my research. Please can anyone help/advise?

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Astilbes are lovely flowers :)

It's hard to find a definitive answer to your question. There's a site called Kanin.org, but it's not working for me this evening.

I looked here:

http://ucanr.edu/sites/poisonous_safe_plants/Safe_Plants_by_Common_Name/

..... and it's marked as 'safe', but not in particular for rabbits.

There's also an interesting article here about the problem with lists of toxic plants, which is quite reassuring:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/lant-toxicity-the-problem-with-lists

When I am not sure whether the plant is toxic or not, I tend to take the view - caution/moderation will probably be the best option :)

The situation regarding whether Astilbe is safe for rabbits or not appears to be similar to that for a wide range of plants. It does not appear on any sites, where toxic plants are listed, that I've looked at. As you say it's appearing on lists where plants are said to be ones that rabbits normally don't touch. I haven't found it on any lists, which contain plants said to be "rabbit safe". Not very helpful is it :)

My view would be that it isn't known to be toxic. I would make sure that they don't consume too much, which I presume you don't want for the plant's sake either, but I wouldn't be concerned if they nibble a small amount. Especially if they are eating a wide range of other things.

Well, the german edition of wikipedia says that young green parts of Astilbe chinensis are eaten as vegetable, also the young fruits of Astilbe longicarpa, young leaves of Astilbe thunbergii are eaten cooked and used as a tea substitute.

So, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hi :wave: Thank you for everyone for the warm welcome, the very helpful advice and to MightyMax for the very helpful links. The harcourt-brown page is very interesting indeed.

They try to nibble them whenever they can get near (and have been doing so for the past couple of weeks) and still seem to be perfectly healthy and fine but I think you're all absolutely right - caution and moderation is definitely the way to... if only to save my plants from becoming stalks :lol:

Last edited:
Hi :wave: Thank you for everyone for the warm welcome, the very helpful advice and to MightyMax for the very helpful links. The harcourt-brown page is very interesting indeed.

They try to nibble them whenever they can get near (and have been doing so for the past couple of weeks) and still seem to be perfectly healthy and fine but I think you're all absolutely right - caution and moderation is definitely the way to... if only to save my plants from becoming stalks :lol:

You're welcome :)

Indeed, I think they are supposed to be the sort of plants that rabbits wouldn't go for, but I've never found that deterred a determined rabbit.

You're welcome :)

Indeed, I think they are supposed to be the sort of plants that rabbits wouldn't go for, but I've never found that deterred a determined rabbit.

Actually, I give access to many plants on toxic lists, they know better or actually use some for self medication. Most important, whatever new I give them, they do a test nibble and ignore it for some time, warming slowly to treats like cabbage, beets or apple.

Last edited:
Back