• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD2 - New Epidemic cases in Hampshire

AEV

New Kit
HI,

Unfortunately I've just lost my two sweet bunnies to VHD2. Today I received the tests results and is confirmed.
I took them in February to take vaccinations and the vet neglect my little ones not giving them the vaccine against VHD2.
They took the normal ones and after I asked if there wasn't another one to be given to them, they told me no.
My little ones died while I was on holidays and I was shocked for not being able to hold them and be with them in their last hours.
The vet I went was St.Kitt's in Hartley Wintney and its hard to get over the fact that they just ignored the virus and didn't alert me to this.

So just want to call the attention to all rabbit owners - this is not a friendly "Vet" for rabbits.
Our 2 rabbits died 2 weeks ago because they were not given a vacine for a virus who is well known for being killing rabbits in the area.
We have seen a negligent act from this Vet Centre that killed our rabbits.
I do not recommend this place at all.
They tried to run away from their responsibilities even after the blood samples proved the rabbits died from that virus.
Please chose another place to take care of your rabbits as you won't get the right attention to your rabbits in this Vet Centre.
It's not about the animals it's just another business!

Good Luck to all and make sure all your rabbits have this vaccine.

HI,

Unfortunately I've just lost my two sweet bunnies to VHD2. Today I received the tests results and is confirmed.
I took them in February to take vaccinations and the vet neglect my little ones not giving them the vaccine against VHD2.
They took the normal ones and after I asked if there wasn't another one to be given to them, they told me no.
My little ones died while I was on holidays and I was shocked for not being able to hold them and be with them in their last hours.
The vet I went was St.Kitt's in Hartley Wintney and its hard to get over the fact that they just ignored the virus and didn't alert me to this.

So just want to call the attention to all rabbit owners - this is not a friendly "Vet" for rabbits.
Our 2 rabbits died 2 weeks ago because they were not given a vacine for a virus who is well known for being killing rabbits in the area.
We have seen a negligent act from this Vet Centre that killed our rabbits.
I do not recommend this place at all.
They tried to run away from their responsibilities even after the blood samples proved the rabbits died from that virus.
Please chose another place to take care of your rabbits as you won't get the right attention to your rabbits in this Vet Centre.
It's not about the animals it's just another business!

Good Luck to all and make sure all your rabbits have this vaccine.

Welcome to the Forum AEV, and I am sorry it's under such sad circumstances.

I am so sorry to hear about your rabbits, that's awful news for you. Sadly a lot of vets don't realise the extent and seriousness of the problem.

I am going to cross post your post onto my thread about RHD2 to alert others about the risks in your area:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-7th-August-2017-Survey-Results

I'm very sorry you have lost your rabbits to this horrible virus [emoji22]
It does underline the importance of using a rabbit savvy vet

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I am sorry for your loss. I am not sure that saying the vet 'killed' your rabbits will make you feel better, long term. Yes, you could have received better advice elsewhere, but ultimately any of us could see our animals go of disease, of fly strike, through accidents. It happens even to very experienced owners.

I'm sorry you lost your bunnies in such terrible circumstances :(

Whilst I agree that the vet should have told you about the vaccine, I feel it's also our responsibility as owners to keep up with developments in rabbit welfare and medicine. I knew about RHD2 long before my vet through this forum and rabbit Facebook groups I am on - so please stay as it is a wealth of knowledge here.

I'm so sorry that you lost your two bunnies and totally understand why you feel let down by the vet you trusted to give you all the correct information about their care. Sending hugs x

Such awful news, I'm so sorry

Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel to be let down by a vet and it breaks my heart with how this comtinues to happen :cry: :cry:

RIP your gorgeous babies xx

Last edited:
Back