• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thumper's not very well today

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
but we've caught it early so finger's crossed.

Gave her some pain relief this morning and left it an hour before taking her to the vet, who administered further meds via injection.

Got home, was instructed to give half a syringe of Recovery every 2 hours starting as soon as we got home. I gave her a second dose at 2pm. However, she had been eating hay once we arrived back home as well, so that was good. She has pooped but it's quite wet looking although not actually runny, so obviously I'll keep my eye on that. Vet initially advised to keep her indoors because it's warmer, but then agreed that as the shed is between 20 and 25 degrees, bunnies could go into their preferred environment but I've had to shut the tunnel off to keep them in the shed and to stop any draughts.

However, now I've manhandled Thumper, she hates me :( so each time I go to check on her she stops whatever she's doing and hunkers down, so I don't actually know if she's improving or not! Hubby's not here (he's 'good cop' :lol:) as he's at work so it's difficult now. Vet said that if she's not improved come 4pm she wants her back in.

Not sure what to do other than to send the kids in instead, or one of them at least, see if they can get her to eat.

It's stuffed my day right up to be honest, which is really annoying. Was going to spend time with my parents, then take the kids for an ice-cream by the sea given the last 3 weeks' weather's been naff. So much for that plan, eh? It won't be long before they go back to school/college and it'll be "what did you do in the holidays, kids?" "nothing. literally, nothing". :(

but we've caught it early so finger's crossed.

Gave her some pain relief this morning and left it an hour before taking her to the vet, who administered further meds via injection.

Got home, was instructed to give half a syringe of Recovery every 2 hours starting as soon as we got home. I gave her a second dose at 2pm. However, she had been eating hay once we arrived back home as well, so that was good. She has pooped but it's quite wet looking although not actually runny, so obviously I'll keep my eye on that. Vet initially advised to keep her indoors because it's warmer, but then agreed that as the shed is between 20 and 25 degrees, bunnies could go into their preferred environment but I've had to shut the tunnel off to keep them in the shed and to stop any draughts.

However, now I've manhandled Thumper, she hates me :( so each time I go to check on her she stops whatever she's doing and hunkers down, so I don't actually know if she's improving or not! Hubby's not here (he's 'good cop' :lol:) as he's at work so it's difficult now. Vet said that if she's not improved come 4pm she wants her back in.

Not sure what to do other than to send the kids in instead, or one of them at least, see if they can get her to eat.

It's stuffed my day right up to be honest, which is really annoying. Was going to spend time with my parents, then take the kids for an ice-cream by the sea given the last 3 weeks' weather's been naff. So much for that plan, eh? It won't be long before they go back to school/college and it'll be "what did you do in the holidays, kids?" "nothing. literally, nothing". :(

Oh no Angie :(

Vibes for poorly Thumper ... How's she doing now? xx

Thank you all.

Sadly, although she'd tried to eat and had "produced" she still evidently wasn't very well and was lying down, so come 4pm I let her into the garden thinking the extra space and being away from me might help. It didn't - all she did was lie down. So back to the vet we went.

Although there were extra gut sounds, which was good, Thumper was quite cool, which was not good, so they've kept her in (and Coco) and I'm to pick her up at 6:45 but with a very real possibility of taking her to Middlesbrough (about 8 miles away) to Vets Now, which is the overnight vets as unfortunately our vets have stopped doing overnight residents. But fingers crossed (again) that once warm and with saline inside her (I assume they'll put her on a drip) she'll improve and can just come home instead. Only time will tell.

Thank you all.

Sadly, although she'd tried to eat and had "produced" she still evidently wasn't very well and was lying down, so come 4pm I let her into the garden thinking the extra space and being away from me might help. It didn't - all she did was lie down. So back to the vet we went.

Although there were extra gut sounds, which was good, Thumper was quite cool, which was not good, so they've kept her in (and Coco) and I'm to pick her up at 6:45 but with a very real possibility of taking her to Middlesbrough (about 8 miles away) to Vets Now, which is the overnight vets as unfortunately our vets have stopped doing overnight residents. But fingers crossed (again) that once warm and with saline inside her (I assume they'll put her on a drip) she'll improve and can just come home instead. Only time will tell.

I'm sorry that she's still poorly. Lots more vibes being sent xx

Thank you all.

Yes I hope they had her on a drip and monitored her blood glucose Angie.

Sorry to hear she's still unwell :(

Loads of vibes for her xx

Thank you again x

Sadly, she's now at the overnight vets as yes, they've had her on a drip, and a heat pad as she's been so cold, but she can't get warm. Her glucose is through the roof at 28, but had dropped to 25 by the time I picked her up at 6:45. The vets generally don't worry about glucose at 12 or less, so it is alarmingly high. Her guts are still quite noisy, but she just can't get comfy or warm, and won't eat. I got her to take the Recovery but she spat it out when the vet nurses gave it to her, naughty bun, but Gabby (the emergency vet nurse who used to work at our local practice until she moved) found that mildly amusing - that I could do something the nurses couldn't!

Anyway, they'll keep her overnight, feed her (or try to!), put her back on the drip and keep an eye on her glucose, and try and warm her up.

I've been invited to phone before I go to bed and they'll ring and wake me if they need to. But hopefully I'll just pick her up at 7.30 in the morning. Well actually it's them because Coco's gone too, but for free food and lodgings only :lol:. And probably to irritate the nurses by chewing through Thumper's drip/s!

I'm quite tired, missed the junction off the A66 on the way out which didn't help so went a few miles out of my way but luckily corrected myself easily without panicking (there's a first, but just don't replay the dash cam!) but was quite upset on the journey back and once home, which took me by surprise. I need my bed I think.

So I'm signing off to have a soak and then an early night given I have to be up at 7.

Fingers/paws crossed she's okay and can come home in the morning and not back to our local vet.

Thank you again x

Sadly, she's now at the overnight vets as yes, they've had her on a drip, and a heat pad as she's been so cold, but she can't get warm. Her glucose is through the roof at 28, but had dropped to 25 by the time I picked her up at 6:45. The vets generally don't worry about glucose at 12 or less, so it is alarmingly high. Her guts are still quite noisy, but she just can't get comfy or warm, and won't eat. I got her to take the Recovery but she spat it out when the vet nurses gave it to her, naughty bun, but Gabby (the emergency vet nurse who used to work at our local practice until she moved) found that mildly amusing - that I could do something the nurses couldn't!

Anyway, they'll keep her overnight, feed her (or try to!), put her back on the drip and keep an eye on her glucose, and try and warm her up.

I've been invited to phone before I go to bed and they'll ring and wake me if they need to. But hopefully I'll just pick her up at 7.30 in the morning. Well actually it's them because Coco's gone too, but for free food and lodgings only :lol:. And probably to irritate the nurses by chewing through Thumper's drip/s!

I'm quite tired, missed the junction off the A66 on the way out which didn't help so went a few miles out of my way but luckily corrected myself easily without panicking (there's a first, but just don't replay the dash cam!) but was quite upset on the journey back and once home, which took me by surprise. I need my bed I think.

So I'm signing off to have a soak and then an early night given I have to be up at 7.

Fingers/paws crossed she's okay and can come home in the morning and not back to our local vet.

Really really hoping and praying for a good outcome here :)

I wonder whether your vet/emergency vet has identified what's going on - i.e. whether blockage/gas etc ...?

I hope you have a good night Angie, knowing she's in good hands. Sleep well xx

Thank you again x

28 :shock: Oh dear :cry:

I really hope that she has made it through the night. You must be worried sick :cry:

Hoping Thumper has turned a corner this morning.

Loads of Get Well soon wishes being sent xxx

Good morning all and thank you for your lovely messages :) x

Good news! Thumper is well and is home :thumb: and I'm calm and happy again although a bit tired - had a snooze once I'd settled the rabbits back in.

I did phone before I went to bed at 11.30 and things were looking good then with her glucose coming down and her temperature going up, and it continued throughout the night and this morning everything was back to normal, thank goodness. "Output" :lol: was back to normal, as was "input" and the nurse made me laugh because apparently every time she went in to check on her, Thumper wasn't eating so when she went back in armed with a syringe full of Recovery, Thumper started to madly eat hay like "okay, okay, I'm eating!!" Also, at one point when they took Thumper out to check her glucose, Coco went nuts, thumping the floor of the cage like mad and running about, and when they put Thumper back, Coco was all over her, licking her face, kinda like asking if she was okay. How sweet is that?

They're both shattered now though, and don't trust me at all, didn't even come in to the shed from the run when I rattled the treat box - I had to give them a treat through the safety of the bars of the run where the know darned well I can't physically touch them!

They're very sleepy as they've probably not slept last night, so I'll leave them be today on the whole, just peek at them. Thumper is eating - she took a mint leaf off me (she didn't yesterday which was alarming as she LOVES fresh mint) and she did eat her treat via the bars, so she is okay (so far). But it'll take a couple of days for them to trust me again I think.

Don't know what caused it other than during the early hours of yesterday morning there was a cat fight just outside the front of our house, that's the only thing I can think of. Could be coincidence of course, but who knows.

As an aside, I have noticed on the printout from the emergency vet they've charged £60 for looking after Coco last night, I've not noticed that before (maybe they have, maybe they haven't). I just hope the insurance cough up given she wasn't actually ill, simply along for the ride/company. Also, I've made an automatic £1 donation to the Pet Blood Bank - without being asked. I think that's a bit of a cheek, to be honest. Had they asked I would have said yes, of course, but to shove it on without being asked I think is rude. Plus they charge £15 to fill in the insurance claim form, which I know from previous experience the insurance doesn't cover, obviously. So if they won't cover Coco either that's £76 I'll have to find, which is rather a lot of money. Hopefully, they will. My vet doesn't stick these charges on and when I mentioned the admin fee to the nurse (I didn't know about the other charges at this point as it was yesterday), she said her vet doesn't charge for that either. Oh well. They made her better, I guess that's the main point. But it's still a lot of money for the bit of hay that Coco ate, isn't it? :?

Good morning all and thank you for your lovely messages :) x

Good news! Thumper is well and is home :thumb: and I'm calm and happy again although a bit tired - had a snooze once I'd settled the rabbits back in.

I did phone before I went to bed at 11.30 and things were looking good then with her glucose coming down and her temperature going up, and it continued throughout the night and this morning everything was back to normal, thank goodness. "Output" :lol: was back to normal, as was "input" and the nurse made me laugh because apparently every time she went in to check on her, Thumper wasn't eating so when she went back in armed with a syringe full of Recovery, Thumper started to madly eat hay like "okay, okay, I'm eating!!" Also, at one point when they took Thumper out to check her glucose, Coco went nuts, thumping the floor of the cage like mad and running about, and when they put Thumper back, Coco was all over her, licking her face, kinda like asking if she was okay. How sweet is that?

They're both shattered now though, and don't trust me at all, didn't even come in to the shed from the run when I rattled the treat box - I had to give them a treat through the safety of the bars of the run where the know darned well I can't physically touch them!

They're very sleepy as they've probably not slept last night, so I'll leave them be today on the whole, just peek at them. Thumper is eating - she took a mint leaf off me (she didn't yesterday which was alarming as she LOVES fresh mint) and she did eat her treat via the bars, so she is okay (so far). But it'll take a couple of days for them to trust me again I think.

Don't know what caused it other than during the early hours of yesterday morning there was a cat fight just outside the front of our house, that's the only thing I can think of. Could be coincidence of course, but who knows.

As an aside, I have noticed on the printout from the emergency vet they've charged £60 for looking after Coco last night, I've not noticed that before (maybe they have, maybe they haven't). I just hope the insurance cough up given she wasn't actually ill, simply along for the ride/company. Also, I've made an automatic £1 donation to the Pet Blood Bank - without being asked. I think that's a bit of a cheek, to be honest. Had they asked I would have said yes, of course, but to shove it on without being asked I think is rude. Plus they charge £15 to fill in the insurance claim form, which I know from previous experience the insurance doesn't cover, obviously. So if they won't cover Coco either that's £76 I'll have to find, which is rather a lot of money. Hopefully, they will. My vet doesn't stick these charges on and when I mentioned the admin fee to the nurse (I didn't know about the other charges at this point as it was yesterday), she said her vet doesn't charge for that either. Oh well. They made her better, I guess that's the main point. But it's still a lot of money for the bit of hay that Coco ate, isn't it? :?

Well I am very relieved that Thumper pulled through :D But as for the additional charges made by your Vets.................... :shock:

Back