• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thumper's not very well today

Good morning all and thank you for your lovely messages :) x

Good news! Thumper is well and is home :thumb: and I'm calm and happy again although a bit tired - had a snooze once I'd settled the rabbits back in.

I did phone before I went to bed at 11.30 and things were looking good then with her glucose coming down and her temperature going up, and it continued throughout the night and this morning everything was back to normal, thank goodness. "Output" :lol: was back to normal, as was "input" and the nurse made me laugh because apparently every time she went in to check on her, Thumper wasn't eating so when she went back in armed with a syringe full of Recovery, Thumper started to madly eat hay like "okay, okay, I'm eating!!" Also, at one point when they took Thumper out to check her glucose, Coco went nuts, thumping the floor of the cage like mad and running about, and when they put Thumper back, Coco was all over her, licking her face, kinda like asking if she was okay. How sweet is that?

They're both shattered now though, and don't trust me at all, didn't even come in to the shed from the run when I rattled the treat box - I had to give them a treat through the safety of the bars of the run where the know darned well I can't physically touch them!

They're very sleepy as they've probably not slept last night, so I'll leave them be today on the whole, just peek at them. Thumper is eating - she took a mint leaf off me (she didn't yesterday which was alarming as she LOVES fresh mint) and she did eat her treat via the bars, so she is okay (so far). But it'll take a couple of days for them to trust me again I think.

Don't know what caused it other than during the early hours of yesterday morning there was a cat fight just outside the front of our house, that's the only thing I can think of. Could be coincidence of course, but who knows.

As an aside, I have noticed on the printout from the emergency vet they've charged £60 for looking after Coco last night, I've not noticed that before (maybe they have, maybe they haven't). I just hope the insurance cough up given she wasn't actually ill, simply along for the ride/company. Also, I've made an automatic £1 donation to the Pet Blood Bank - without being asked. I think that's a bit of a cheek, to be honest. Had they asked I would have said yes, of course, but to shove it on without being asked I think is rude. Plus they charge £15 to fill in the insurance claim form, which I know from previous experience the insurance doesn't cover, obviously. So if they won't cover Coco either that's £76 I'll have to find, which is rather a lot of money. Hopefully, they will. My vet doesn't stick these charges on and when I mentioned the admin fee to the nurse (I didn't know about the other charges at this point as it was yesterday), she said her vet doesn't charge for that either. Oh well. They made her better, I guess that's the main point. But it's still a lot of money for the bit of hay that Coco ate, isn't it? :?

I am so relieved that Thumper is better :D

Regards the extra charges - yes completely and totally cheeky.

There's no need to take advantage of someone just because it's an emergency service :roll:

I'm so pleased that Thumper is feeling better, charges are bit cheeky, espeecially Cocos B & B, must have been plush accommodation ! Still she's ok, that's the main thing x

Thank you for your replies and I'm relieved that I'm not the only one taken aback by these extra charges, particularly for Coco. I'm not sure whether to raise it with the emergency vets when they're back in later on this evening, or leave it. If I leave it and the insurance pay up then all well and good, but that's still £60 less to claim for Thumper should she need it later on, after all £2,000 can soon go (£300 just has in one fell swoop, for example). There's nothing I can do regarding the admin fee nor the donation but that I have to pay myself anyway as I know the insurance won't cover those. I guess I could ring my own local vet and speak to them, but then I suppose all they'll say is that it's what the emergency vet does, it's their policy I suppose. But I don't see why they had to charge for Coco when she wasn't ill - any decent vet knows that bonded rabbits shouldn't be separated and to charge for that privilege is wrong, in my eyes. But I guess there's naff all I can do.

Thank you for your replies and I'm relieved that I'm not the only one taken aback by these extra charges, particularly for Coco. I'm not sure whether to raise it with the emergency vets when they're back in later on this evening, or leave it. If I leave it and the insurance pay up then all well and good, but that's still £60 less to claim for Thumper should she need it later on, after all £2,000 can soon go (£300 just has in one fell swoop, for example). There's nothing I can do regarding the admin fee nor the donation but that I have to pay myself anyway as I know the insurance won't cover those. I guess I could ring my own local vet and speak to them, but then I suppose all they'll say is that it's what the emergency vet does, it's their policy I suppose. But I don't see why they had to charge for Coco when she wasn't ill - any decent vet knows that bonded rabbits shouldn't be separated and to charge for that privilege is wrong, in my eyes. But I guess there's naff all I can do.

I would definitely raise the issue with them as frankly I think they are taking the urine x

I would definitely raise the issue with them as frankly I think they are taking the urine x

I will, Jane, I'll ring them later and query it. I've never noticed it before and don't have any old paperwork as I bin it at the end of each policy year - I've never had to pay for Coco so the insurance have therefore paid for her, if indeed she's been charged for.

Of course, I could be reading it incorrectly, but it definitely says in the breakdown;

1 x Admit Hospital admission fee £18.67
2 x Patient care (Hospitalisation) - Rabbit/Small Furry/Exotic - Unstable/Critical £123.38 - which to me is 2 animals.

I'm glad that Thumper is back home and feeling better :D What a relief!

As to the additional charges, I think they are all a bit cheeky, but the one that would annoy me the most is actually the smallest i.e. the donation, which in my view should be just that, a donation.

I have never in all my days known a vet who would charge for a companion animal coming along.

I would clarify, and then if you're not satisfied, query it definitely

Good luck :)

I have queried the charge and I was wrong :oops:. They have not charged for Coco - the nurse/receptionist was adamant that they hadn't and would never do that, to which I said I didn't think they did. She said actually that if I had been charged for Coco it was an error and they would refund immediately.

What it is, is they charge for blocks of time the pet is in for, and it's in periods of 7 hours, and as Thumper was in for 12, she was in for 2 blocks (or equivalent). However, my query has brought it to the nurse's attention that it's being printed incorrectly on the invoices for "Rabbit/Small Furry/Exotic ..." as it should be different and show actual time blocks and she's going to raise this with the vet, so some good has come of it at least - if it's confused me it'll confuse others.

So I've not been done!

Good, sorted :).

The buns are absolutely done in, poor loves. And next door's been knocking and banging away :roll:, but now seems to have stopped, thankfully. I've just been outside - Coco's in the shed, half asleep. Thumper's in the run, but accepted grass off me and ate it. Adrian will go out later and give them their supper (he's good cop so they'll come to him).

I have queried the charge and I was wrong :oops:. They have not charged for Coco - the nurse/receptionist was adamant that they hadn't and would never do that, to which I said I didn't think they did. She said actually that if I had been charged for Coco it was an error and they would refund immediately.

What it is, is they charge for blocks of time the pet is in for, and it's in periods of 7 hours, and as Thumper was in for 12, she was in for 2 blocks (or equivalent). However, my query has brought it to the nurse's attention that it's being printed incorrectly on the invoices for "Rabbit/Small Furry/Exotic ..." as it should be different and show actual time blocks and she's going to raise this with the vet, so some good has come of it at least - if it's confused me it'll confuse others.

So I've not been done!

Good, sorted :).

The buns are absolutely done in, poor loves. And next door's been knocking and banging away :roll:, but now seems to have stopped, thankfully. I've just been outside - Coco's in the shed, half asleep. Thumper's in the run, but accepted grass off me and ate it. Adrian will go out later and give them their supper (he's good cop so they'll come to him).

It did cross mind that they work in 'units' of time, but they really didn't make that clear on your invoice, so you were right to take it up with them :)

Hope the buns will be OK. Glad your neighbours have calmed down! Hope you all have a peaceful evening x

Back