Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Rhd2 and boarding question

  1. #1
    Mama Doe roxyroller88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newcastle-U-Lyme
    Posts
    2,271

    Default Rhd2 and boarding question

    My boarder still isn't enforcing the rhd2 vaccination. I was hoping she would change her mind but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.
    I've looked at other boarders in my area and they are all saying the same thing.

    So my question is, would you send you vaccinated rabbits to a boarder that didn't enforce the vaccine?
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

  2. #2
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Eastleigh, Hampshire
    Posts
    4,552

    Default

    Difficult one. I don't think there is any actual risk to your bunnies if they're fully vaccinated (although someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think you can get a lesser version of RHD2 like you can nodular myxi?) but to me it would show a lack of knowledge and willingness to keep welfare the top priority. Do you know why she won't enforce it? If it's she's scared of losing bookings then I would run a mile as with boarding you really should be putting rabbit welfare above profit.
    Bunny mum to Jessie, Woody, Noah (trio) and newcomer River! Not forgetting Hettie & Sweep who live with their grandad but visit often
    Piggy mum to Mabel, Molly and Peaches


    Remembering Skye, Maisie-pig and Marley-pig. Always in our hearts and very much missed

    Looking for welfare orientated bunny boarding in Hampshire? Visit www.chestnutcorner.co.uk or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/chestnutcorner

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    My boarder still isn't enforcing the rhd2 vaccination. I was hoping she would change her mind but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.
    I've looked at other boarders in my area and they are all saying the same thing.

    So my question is, would you send you vaccinated rabbits to a boarder that didn't enforce the vaccine?

    No vaccine is 100% guaranteed.

    Frances Harcourt Brown:

    Is it guaranteed that my rabbit won’t catch RHDV2 if it is vaccinated?

    The short answer is ‘no’. No vaccine is 100% effective and there is variation between vaccines. There are several reasons for this. Virus strains can change (like human ‘flu vaccination) and some diseases are difficult to vaccinate against. The way in which individual rabbits respond to vaccination is variable. As it is a new disease, we don’t know for certainty about the efficacy of RHDV2 vaccine but it appears to be effective



    It's a difficult call Roxy. Have you anywhere else you can board them?

  4. #4
    Mama Doe roxyroller88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newcastle-U-Lyme
    Posts
    2,271

    Default

    I've asked around everywhere within about 20 minutes and they are saying the same I don't really want to go much further with Hiro... And on top of that she is really good with him. I'd struggle to find someone that I would trust to look after him.
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    127,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    My boarder still isn't enforcing the rhd2 vaccination. I was hoping she would change her mind but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.
    I've looked at other boarders in my area and they are all saying the same thing.

    So my question is, would you send you vaccinated rabbits to a boarder that didn't enforce the vaccine?
    Personally no, I wouldn't.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    I've asked around everywhere within about 20 minutes and they are saying the same I don't really want to go much further with Hiro... And on top of that she is really good with him. I'd struggle to find someone that I would trust to look after him.

    If it's your only option, I would go with it. Can no one come to the house and see them twice a day?

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran Glingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,551

    Default

    I've just booked my bunnies in for Christmas. We discussed the RHD2 vaccine. The boarder I'm using is a trustee of a rescue. They've had several rabbits become ill or die shortly after receiving the vaccine. All her buns are permanent fosters the majority have health problems and so she is scared to vaccinate them. She therefore doesn't feel that she can insist that boarders are vaccinated as it would be hypocritical. She has excellent standards of hygiene and infection control. Her stance is that if there are reported cases in the area, she will discuss vaccination again with her vet.
    Yes, in an ideal world, I'd like her to insist on it, but her bunny knowledge and care far outweighs that. She told me how one Saturday evening she checked on the bunnies before bed and one didn't seem right. Her and her partner had had a little tipple and so she got another family member to pick them up and take them to the vets that night. To me that sort of care is the most important thing.

  8. #8
    Mama Doe roxyroller88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newcastle-U-Lyme
    Posts
    2,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catherine09 View Post
    Difficult one. I don't think there is any actual risk to your bunnies if they're fully vaccinated (although someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think you can get a lesser version of RHD2 like you can nodular myxi?) but to me it would show a lack of knowledge and willingness to keep welfare the top priority. Do you know why she won't enforce it? If it's she's scared of losing bookings then I would run a mile as with boarding you really should be putting rabbit welfare above profit.
    Sorry your replly wasn't here when I checked last night!
    She just keeps saying that the vaccine isn't readily available so she can't enforce it. She is very strict with the combined vaccine and she really is wonderful when it comes to looking after the buns. I've used her since day one and she even took care of Hiro after his TECABO when he was pretty bad. I really do trust her with them. Plus all the other boarders around me are saying the same thing
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

  9. #9
    Mama Doe roxyroller88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newcastle-U-Lyme
    Posts
    2,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    If it's your only option, I would go with it. Can no one come to the house and see them twice a day?
    I couldn't trust anyone to take good enough care of them. I don't know anyone with rabbits in real life and with Sy and Hiro the way that they are I don't think that they could be left at home.

    And Glingle, yes I think I know who you mean. I would trust her with my bunnies too. If it's who I'm thinking of then she is wonderful
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    I couldn't trust anyone to take good enough care of them. I don't know anyone with rabbits in real life and with Sy and Hiro the way that they are I don't think that they could be left at home.

    And Glingle, yes I think I know who you mean. I would trust her with my bunnies too. If it's who I'm thinking of then she is wonderful

    There are some really good people out there. They have their reasons for doing things the way they do. It may not be ideal, or to our liking, but I personally don't throw anyone out just because they don't follow the 'rules'. I assess each individually.

    I understand your hesitation Roxy ... What does your gut instinct say?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •