• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any ointment I can use to help heal a wound

Bojangles

Young Bun
2 weeks after my lops myxo and VHD combined vaccination, he has come up with a circular scan about 1.5cm in diameter, a little further down from the injection site on his back. I was leaving it to heal, however today my other rabbit has scratched the scab off. Is there any ointment that is safe to use to help it to heal as it is now a slightly open wound?

2 weeks after my lops myxo and VHD combined vaccination, he has come up with a circular scan about 1.5cm in diameter, a little further down from the injection site on his back. I was leaving it to heal, however today my other rabbit has scratched the scab off. Is there any ointment that is safe to use to help it to heal as it is now a slightly open wound?

Have a look at these:

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/

Aloe Vera gel is good :)

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773
.... this one can be put onto open wounds and contains an anaesthetic element.

Good luck :)

These things always look worse than they are. It should heal up nicely x

When you say that it is a 'slightly open wound' do you mean that it is just a bit red or is it actually bleeding/weeping ?

It must have been scratched off while I was at work and I had a look when I got home, there is a little bit of dried blood, a bit of scab and abit red

must have been scratched off while I was at work and I had a look when I got home, there is a little bit of dried blood, a bit of scab and abit red

When you say that it is a 'slightly open wound' do you mean that it is just a bit red or is it actually bleeding/weeping ?

must have been scratched off while I was at work and I had a look when I got home, there is a little bit of dried blood, a bit of scab and abit red

Thank you! Going to check these out!

You're welcome :)

I've had this happen to my rabbits, and it doesn't look pleasant. There are several ways to address the issue (apart from doing nothing) and applying a healing/soothing cream is one way :)

Personally I would not apply any topical preparations to it if it appears to still be healing well. If it is actually oozing and/or looks very 'angry' then the Vet needs to take a look at it. It sounds as though it's fine though, just that the scab got pulled off a bit too soon x

I make a saline solution when my animals have cuts, scrapes etc that need treating. But like Jane said I'd just leave it alone for the time being and keep a good eye on it since it seems to be healing fine.

Thank you for the replies! It looks a lot better this morning! I'm guessing it's a reaction to the nobivac vaccine 3 weeks ago! All my four rabbits are booked in for the filavac vaccine tomorrow, do you reckon he will be okay to receive that vaccine now?

Thank you for the replies! It looks a lot better this morning! I'm guessing it's a reaction to the nobivac vaccine 3 weeks ago! All my four rabbits are booked in for the filavac vaccine tomorrow, do you reckon he will be okay to receive that vaccine now?

It definitely sounds like a reaction to the vaccination.

So long as your vet steers clear of vaccinating that spot, he should be OK, but it's good the vet will take a look when you go. He may want to defer it for a wee while to ensure complete healing x

I think he should be as long as he is in overall good health x

Back