Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ointment I can use to help heal a wound

Default Any ointment I can use to help heal a wound

2 weeks after my lops myxo and VHD combined vaccination, he has come up with a circular scan about 1.5cm in diameter, a little further down from the injection site on his back. I was leaving it to heal, however today my other rabbit has scratched the scab off. Is there any ointment that is safe to use to help it to heal as it is now a slightly open wound?

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
    2 weeks after my lops myxo and VHD combined vaccination, he has come up with a circular scan about 1.5cm in diameter, a little further down from the injection site on his back. I was leaving it to heal, however today my other rabbit has scratched the scab off. Is there any ointment that is safe to use to help it to heal as it is now a slightly open wound?

Have a look at these:

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-...nfo/DERBYMSCP/

Aloe Vera gel is good

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-su...am-30ml-p-7773
    .... this one can be put onto open wounds and contains an anaesthetic element.

Good luck

These things always look worse than they are. It should heal up nicely x

When you say that it is a 'slightly open wound' do you mean that it is just a bit red or is it actually bleeding/weeping ?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Have a look at these:

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-...nfo/DERBYMSCP/

Aloe Vera gel is good

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-su...am-30ml-p-7773
    .... this one can be put onto open wounds and contains an anaesthetic element.

Good luck

These things always look worse than they are. It should heal up nicely x
    Thank you! Going to check these out!

It must have been scratched off while I was at work and I had a look when I got home, there is a little bit of dried blood, a bit of scab and abit red

must have been scratched off while I was at work and I had a look when I got home, there is a little bit of dried blood, a bit of scab and abit red

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    When you say that it is a 'slightly open wound' do you mean that it is just a bit red or is it actually bleeding/weeping ?
    must have been scratched off while I was at work and I had a look when I got home, there is a little bit of dried blood, a bit of scab and abit red

Thank you! Going to check these out!

You're welcome

I've had this happen to my rabbits, and it doesn't look pleasant. There are several ways to address the issue (apart from doing nothing) and applying a healing/soothing cream is one way

Personally I would not apply any topical preparations to it if it appears to still be healing well. If it is actually oozing and/or looks very 'angry' then the Vet needs to take a look at it. It sounds as though it's fine though, just that the scab got pulled off a bit too soon x

I make a saline solution when my animals have cuts, scrapes etc that need treating. But like Jane said I'd just leave it alone for the time being and keep a good eye on it since it seems to be healing fine.