Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can rabbits cope with only one eye? U/D: New pic pg 5

Wise Old Thumper

How is Ernie doing this morning ?

Thinking of Ernie and sending vibes.

How's he doing today?

Hi guys. Ernie is now home. He seems to have recovered well from his surgery and his vet is very happy with him. He seems quite fine in himself. By the time we got home there were plenty of poos in the carrier (phew!) and he's eaten some hay and herbs.

Last night the vet told us that she would rather the boys be kept separate for 10 days, to give Ernie time to heal. That resulted in a mad rush to find something that we could use to separate the shed. We ended up with a run from P@H, which my OH took apart and fitted into the shed. It'll keep them separate but they can still see and smell each other. Bit nervous about how to go about putting them back together again but I'll worry about that when we get to it.

Here's how the shed looks:

And here's our brave little pirate!

My rabbit shed & aviary build thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...86#post6423486

Warren Veteran

What a brave boy It looks absolutely fine to me how you've separated the shed and I think that maybe you'll have no problem when it's time for them to go back together again. I also think that the wound looks fine. Day by day you will notice an improvement in how it looks.

Awww bless him glad he is eatting well and looks very bright too. Brave Ernie .
    Lance got your wings 31/7/13. I will never forget u my gentle sensitive soul x x x Rosie my beautiful baby girl. . Said goodbye on 6/7/15. Brave Code, u made us so proud my gentle boy. Hope all of you is working now my snuffler,
    22 August 2016. Oliver my gentle baby boy, hope you have found the others, 30th July 2017. Will never forget you all my angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa F View Post
    Hi guys. Ernie is now home. He seems to have recovered well from his surgery and his vet is very happy with him. He seems quite fine in himself. By the time we got home there were plenty of poos in the carrier (phew!) and he's eaten some hay and herbs.

Last night the vet told us that she would rather the boys be kept separate for 10 days, to give Ernie time to heal. That resulted in a mad rush to find something that we could use to separate the shed. We ended up with a run from P@H, which my OH took apart and fitted into the shed. It'll keep them separate but they can still see and smell each other. Bit nervous about how to go about putting them back together again but I'll worry about that when we get to it.

Here's how the shed looks:

And here's our brave little pirate!

The shed looks great the way you've done it, and as you say, one step at a time. Rebonding on neutral if necessary!

Little Ernie looks amazing What a clean wound! I am sure it will heal up well - but he may be demanding of his eye patch yet!

Aww he is gorgeous. I hope he continues to make great progress. Was his eye socket stitched up or left open ?

what a brave little pirate bun
    Loved and missed
    Benjie guinea pig 28/09/2017, Bisc rabbit 04/10/2016, Eddie guinea pig 01/12/2014, Maisie guinea pig 07/08/2014, Matt rabbit 31/08/2013, Chesney guinea pig 21/02/2013, Smudge rabbit 09/07/2006, Patch rabbit 31/10/2001

Hi Lisa, if you don't mind me asking how much was the surgery? I'm waiting for a quote for the same thing x

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, Ernie is feeling much better this morning and is taking his pain/anti-inflammatory meds like a champ!

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Was his eye socket stitched up or left open ?
    They stitched it up with disolving stitches so, all going well, they won't have to fuss with it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerual1318 View Post
    Hi Lisa, if you don't mind me asking how much was the surgery? I'm waiting for a quote for the same thing x
    Interesting question actually because I got two quotes before going ahead. Our normal vets (Iain Cope's practice in Newmarket) initially sent Ernie to a referral clinic, which was great because they had more equipment for testing but (they even admitted) not that familiar with rabbits. They were happy to do the surgery and the vet I dealt with was lovely and helpful . . . but they were actually referring BACK to Iain about Ernie's situation! That's when we decided we'd rather the surgery be done by Iain or one of the vets at his practice (all of whom I have complete faith in).

The referral clinic quoted me in the region of 1100 and Iain's practice quoted me in the region of 500. The surgery came to 600 in the end because it took a little longer than expected and I also opted to have the eye sent away for malignancy testing.

Quite a difference isn't it?

My rabbit shed & aviary build thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...86#post6423486