Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: Can rabbits cope with only one eye? U/D: New pic pg 5

  1. #31
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    9,967

    Default

    I'm very pleased that brave Ernie is doing well.

  2. #32
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    31,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa F View Post
    Thanks for all the well wishes guys, Ernie is feeling much better this morning and is taking his pain/anti-inflammatory meds like a champ!



    They stitched it up with disolving stitches so, all going well, they won't have to fuss with it again.



    Interesting question actually because I got two quotes before going ahead. Our normal vets (Iain Cope's practice in Newmarket) initially sent Ernie to a referral clinic, which was great because they had more equipment for testing but (they even admitted) not that familiar with rabbits. They were happy to do the surgery and the vet I dealt with was lovely and helpful . . . but they were actually referring BACK to Iain about Ernie's situation! That's when we decided we'd rather the surgery be done by Iain or one of the vets at his practice (all of whom I have complete faith in).

    The referral clinic quoted me in the region of 1100 and Iain's practice quoted me in the region of 500. The surgery came to 600 in the end because it took a little longer than expected and I also opted to have the eye sent away for malignancy testing.

    Quite a difference isn't it?

    You were wise to get a couple of quotes, and I would agree with going with Iain. And he was the cheaper of the two! Did he do the surgery himself?

    More healing vibes sent xx

  3. #33
    Warren Veteran keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    6,524

    Default

    Best wishes I've never had to put a bunny through it but Aboleth came with just one eye (had an abscess while in rescue, so they got it removed): feeding treats etc. is more difficult as we have to remember which side to go in on, or she runs off after Lopsy for his food! Sometimes she still does anyway, but that's beside the point ;P Sometimes she'll almost binky into the projecting puppy panels in the lawn pen, but they both have a tendency to do that and I've not noticed her do it anymore on her blind side than her seeing side Her eye socket is stitched, and I was a bit worried by her first few moults, as I didn't know what would happen around the area, but it's fine. She's grown eyebrows and even some dark eyelashes poke out XD Her eyesocket bone (orbit) is really sharp: I presume they've taken all the muscle away!

    On the quote front, man, that's a big difference!

    Best wishes for Ernie, I'm sure he'll be fine and a lot more comfortable now! Aboleth wouldn't have hands anywhere near her head when she had her abscess, but she's fine now and I often give her a great cheek rub on her blind side which she loves! Can't use the same technique on her seeing side though
    The geeky one...



    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

  4. #34
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,479

    Default

    Just been catching up!

    He looks amazing and glad Iain done the surgery. I use the same practice and also have complete faith in all the vets there x

    I would expect they'd mix abosultly fine again when it comes to that, but if worried I can't imagine there would be a problem swapping litter trays every day to keep their scents mixing in each area.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    Mama Doe Lisa F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambs UK, formerly South Africa
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    Ernie had his first checkup last night and the vet is very happy with him! The area around his eye is still swollen but it's going down and the bruising is fading. He's quite happy, eating and pooing everywhere as normal.

    He has another checkup in a week.

    My rabbit shed & aviary build thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...86#post6423486

  6. #36
    Wise Old Thumper Kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton, Scotland
    Posts
    20,925

    Default

    Your wee man seems like a tough wee cookie, taking things totally in his stride

    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

  7. #37
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    129,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa F View Post
    Ernie had his first checkup last night and the vet is very happy with him! The area around his eye is still swollen but it's going down and the bruising is fading. He's quite happy, eating and pooing everywhere as normal.

    He has another checkup in a week.
    Wonderful news !

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa F View Post
    Thanks for all the well wishes guys, Ernie is feeling much better this morning and is taking his pain/anti-inflammatory meds like a champ!



    They stitched it up with disolving stitches so, all going well, they won't have to fuss with it again.



    Interesting question actually because I got two quotes before going ahead. Our normal vets (Iain Cope's practice in Newmarket) initially sent Ernie to a referral clinic, which was great because they had more equipment for testing but (they even admitted) not that familiar with rabbits. They were happy to do the surgery and the vet I dealt with was lovely and helpful . . . but they were actually referring BACK to Iain about Ernie's situation! That's when we decided we'd rather the surgery be done by Iain or one of the vets at his practice (all of whom I have complete faith in).

    The referral clinic quoted me in the region of 1100 and Iain's practice quoted me in the region of 500. The surgery came to 600 in the end because it took a little longer than expected and I also opted to have the eye sent away for malignancy testing.

    Quite a difference isn't it?
    Hi Lisa,

    I finaly got some quotes today and my bunny is booked in for Friday, it's so odd how the price differs so much.

    My usual vet spoke to a specialist who wanted 100 just for a consultation. She called springfield vets for a quote and that was 550-650 and my actual vet was able to get me a quote of 380.37 (oddly specific). I am going with my usual vet, not just because of the price but the surgeon is quite rabbit savvy and she has done the surgery multiple times. I'm hoping my bunny does as well as yours!

    Lauren

  9. #39
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    31,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa F View Post
    Ernie had his first checkup last night and the vet is very happy with him! The area around his eye is still swollen but it's going down and the bruising is fading. He's quite happy, eating and pooing everywhere as normal.

    He has another checkup in a week.

    Great news

  10. #40
    Mama Doe Lisa F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambs UK, formerly South Africa
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerual1318 View Post
    My usual vet spoke to a specialist who wanted 100 just for a consultation. She called springfield vets for a quote and that was 550-650 and my actual vet was able to get me a quote of 380.37 (oddly specific). I am going with my usual vet, not just because of the price but the surgeon is quite rabbit savvy and she has done the surgery multiple times. I'm hoping my bunny does as well as yours!
    That's good news! Keep us updated on little buns progress.

    My rabbit shed & aviary build thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...86#post6423486

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •