Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chemical castration. Any knowledge welcomed.

Default Chemical castration. Any knowledge welcomed.

I haven't even started googling! I need to bond a buck to live outside and really want to do it before winter. Obviously would have to wait 6 weeks after castration, by which time it would be too cold to bond indoors, to then put back outside. Bit of a mess, I know...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie14 View Post
    I haven't even started googling! I need to bond a buck to live outside and really want to do it before winter. Obviously would have to wait 6 weeks after castration, by which time it would be too cold to bond indoors, to then put back outside. Bit of a mess, I know...

Thanks
    Leuprolide Acetate (Lupron)

http://vetmed.illinois.edu/mmitch/pd...lidacetate.pdf

Thanks

Why chemical castration, Carrie?

Mama Doe

I would get a standard castration done now, if he is ready. It shouldn't be too cold to go out in October (and we are much further North than you), and he could spend time outside to acclimatise before bonding. If he's going to be with another neutered rabbit, there isn't the pregnancy risk - just if he is being a nuisance because he is ultra hormonal in the first place - so you could potentially start the bonding much sooner than the 6 weeks post-op.

Thank you Jack's-Jane. Have you ever had experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Why chemical castration, Carrie?
    Long story short, buns have to go outside as selling house. There are 9 people living in the house, 4 generations including 2 toddlers and 2 teenagers. I can't cope with keeping all that clean!

(The gutting thing for me is all 3 house rabbits are all happier outside. They are binkying like mad. Good for them, me )

The one needing castration isn't mine. When he was a house rabbit he got more attention than now he is outside. So I've taken over his "care plan".

Just want to get them bonded before it gets too cold.

He sits at the corner of his run staring at my two grooming the bars. I HATE seeing a lonely rabbit

Shimmer, he's booked in Friday. I've aleays left bonding until long after the 6 weeks, and I will be trying to bond him with a stroppy girl and an almost blind boy, so he will need to be well over hormones before I try!

Thank you all

Mama Doe

Hope all goes well on Friday, and with the future bonding.

Out of interest, how long does chemical castration take to work, and for the hormone levels to decrease - compared to the surgical method?

Long story short, buns have to go outside as selling house. There are 9 people living in the house, 4 generations including 2 toddlers and 2 teenagers. I can't cope with keeping all that clean!

(The gutting thing for me is all 3 house rabbits are all happier outside. They are binkying like mad. Good for them, me )

The one needing castration isn't mine. When he was a house rabbit he got more attention than now he is outside. So I've taken over his "care plan".

He sits at the corner of his run staring at my two grooming the bars. I HATE seeing a lonely rabbit

Shimmer, he's booked in Friday. I've aleays left bonding until long after the 6 weeks, and I will be trying to bond him with a stroppy girl and an almost blind boy, so he will need to be well over hormones before I try!

Thank you all
    Well, not me no !!

But I have had two Bucks who were treated with the implant to treat hyper-sexual behaviour due to adrenal gland tumours.

I believe that Liz (HugosThere) had at least one Buck who could not be castrated due to health problems and he was given Lupron implants instead. Liz doesn't seem to visit RU any more though and she has closed the 'Rainbow Rabbits' sanctuary down now.

Thank you all

It sounds like you want the very best for your rabbits

Good luck for Friday!

Yes I would agree - at least 6 weeks post neuter for bonding. Hopefully before the colder weather sets in x

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Hope all goes well on Friday, and with the future bonding.

Out of interest, how long does chemical castration take to work, and for the hormone levels to decrease - compared to the surgical method?
    No idea. Sounds like it could be painful, so wouldn't want to do it on top of the castration. But I will talk to Trinity Vet on Friday. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Well, not me no !!

But I have had two Bucks who were treated with the implant to treat hyper-sexual behaviour due to adrenal gland tumours.

I believe that Liz (HugosThere) had at least one Buck who could not be castrated due to health problems and he was given Lupron implants instead. Liz doesn't seem to visit RU any more though and she has closed the 'Rainbow Rabbits' sanctuary down now.

sorry.

Did you find a marked improvement on male behaviour when they were on it?

Shame about Rainbow Rabbits. But I tgink Liz did more than her fair share of caring for very poorly rabbits. Hope she's ok