• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Impossible to bond

Sophie92x

Young Bun
I have two buns, Pancakes and Noctis and i have had them since October. Both were neutered in November.
They were fine for a couple of months before the fighting started, Pancakes actually bit through Noctis's ear and obviously ended up getting so stressed out so we decided to separate them.
They now live in hutches/runs which are side by side so they can still smell/see eachother.
We have tried twice to bond them in neutral area, Noctis is still very scared of Pancakes, he will try and sniff at Pancakes but runs away as soon as Pancakes notices him. Pancakes will then try to get behind Noctis and start biting his backside.
I'm assuming that these two cannot be bonded?

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice - I am just going through my first bonding at the moment - but I wanted to offer some very heartfelt empathy! Hopefully you can get some good advice to help decide what to do next. And best of luck! :)

Bump

I can't reply properly atm, but from the info here I believe they could be bonded.
When I get time I shall reply properly. Hopefully MightyMax will see this as she has experience bonding.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have two buns, Pancakes and Noctis and i have had them since October. Both were neutered in November.
They were fine for a couple of months before the fighting started, Pancakes actually bit through Noctis's ear and obviously ended up getting so stressed out so we decided to separate them.
They now live in hutches/runs which are side by side so they can still smell/see eachother.
We have tried twice to bond them in neutral area, Noctis is still very scared of Pancakes, he will try and sniff at Pancakes but runs away as soon as Pancakes notices him. Pancakes will then try to get behind Noctis and start biting his backside.
I'm assuming that these two cannot be bonded?
Hi :)

When you say "biting his backside" do you mean nipping? Is the skin ever broken?

It's not impossible to bond them, but due to their history it's going to take a lot of time and patience.
If you're concerned about doing the bonding, it may be worth finding a local rabbit rescue who may be able to bond for you. A donation towards the rescue would likely be appreciated.

ours took approx 5 months to bond, regular bath 'dates' and even dating in the neighbours enclosed 'neutral' garden. Eventually when their new run was built we decided to see if the would live together, all was going well for the day and we were about to leave the house for a short while when we heard a rumbling in their top box, they had a big fight chasing each other around but by the time we got to them they had sorted it and broke themselves apart. They are both strong willed rabbits (Brie likes to think she's boss and so does he) but they now follow each other everywhere and have been happy ever after since. He still tries to hump her and she runs away but thats not a problem. I think a few initial fights is normal as are a few small nips. I would try a few regular supervised dates if not doing so already and see what happens. If it doesn't then work out at least you tried. We initially tried a threesome (with the buns) and ended up with two pairs!

Bump

I can't reply properly atm, but from the info here I believe they could be bonded.
When I get time I shall reply properly. Hopefully MightyMax will see this as she has experience bonding.

Hi there and thanx DP :D

Sophie, if you're still having probs, PM me the facts and I'll see where I can help you x

Back