Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bar biting and weeing on the bed. About to strangle the rabbits!!

Well I spoke too soon. Came to bed to find they had in fact ****** on my duvet this morning, and I hadn't noticed. It hadn't even dried all the way. I don't have a spare duvet so I've had to dry as much up as possible with tissue and just put a spare duvet cover on it for tonight. I am beyond livid. I am really beginning to resent them.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Nooo, that's not what you said to me this morning

It's *your* place
    Well, perhaps that's true a bit! But I am having to slowly replace half our furniture so it's suitable for living with a rabbit (at the moment, trying to find bookcases with doors to replace our "normal" bookcases, so I can stop piling my books up in every available high space and store them properly without coming back to find them nibbled). And Monty does do his own thing wherever he goes and we have to just tidy up behind him. Clearly the wire he chewed the other day was my partner's fault for not putting it in the wire protectors properly - Monty just saw a wire hanging around and wanted to be helpful and tidy it away And if I will knock my wedding present necklace onto the floor and not notice, well, it's *his* floor, so he surely has the right to nibble through it if he chooses... If he confines his destruction to things I can replace, I'm happy! (The hamster was never this destructive *sigh*)

(((Vegan_Bunny))) I'm really sorry you're having such a difficult time. I don't know enough to say myself, but could you perhaps look at spraying a smell the bunnies don't like (but that you can stand) over your duvet to try and deter them? We have just given up with Monty and accepted the inevitable, but I understand how frustrating it can be having to change the bed all the time.

My room isn't my room..it's the bunnies room and I've literally given up everything to the rabbits. Everything gets wrecked. Even my clothes when I once forgot to shut a drawer and Fiver jumped in, peed on everything and chewed it all to bits. I accepted that as my fault. All I have is my bed, a bedside table, a set of drawers and a cupboard. I have no wires or electronics because even though it was all tidied away, Fiver managed ti find a way to the wires and chewed everything. I literally have nothing in my room apart from the basics and he even wants to destroy those. Sick of it.

I've not read through the whole thread but I can really empathise with you. Up until a week ago I also had bedroom bunnies. Sally constantly peed on my bed and pooed. I put a tarpaulin over it, but that got gross. Barred the bed with carry cages. It was infuriating. Had to shut them in at night etc.

Anyway, had to move them outside for other reasons, and Sally is so much happier. (Well they all seem to be really). She is binkying like mad, lets me fuss her more and has lost that nasty, disgusted look she has had for the last eight years

Sad for me. I was planning on sneaking them back in, in the future. Looks like they made their own decision.

Good luck

Mama Doe

A friend of mine who is new to bunnies was going to join RU on my recommendation. She then asked me why a rabbit lover wanted to "neck" their rabbits? I had no answers for her so had a look for myself. If you resent rabbits for acting like rabbits perhaps they are not for you VB. We all have our own problems but resenting little animals is not the way to go - very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    A friend of mine who is new to bunnies was going to join RU on my recommendation. She then asked me why a rabbit lover wanted to "neck" their rabbits? I had no answers for her so had a look for myself. If you resent rabbits for acting like rabbits perhaps they are not for you VB. We all have our own problems but resenting little animals is not the way to go - very sad.

Hi Sarah

Lovely to see you again, and I hope you're doing as OK as possible

VB was not meaning strangle them literally! We can all get to the end of our tether and threaten to put them in the pot

Have a look at the recent video of Xena

https://youtu.be/LJcOfQFTgZM

Someone wouldn't post such a thing if they were seriously wanting rid of!

Having house rabbits has a special challenge all of it's own. Gracious I know, I've been there!

I believe VB to have a heart of gold. One post on one thread doesn't tell you the whole story

Quote Originally Posted by Monty's Human View Post
    Well, perhaps that's true a bit! But I am having to slowly replace half our furniture so it's suitable for living with a rabbit (at the moment, trying to find bookcases with doors to replace our "normal" bookcases, so I can stop piling my books up in every available high space and store them properly without coming back to find them nibbled). And Monty does do his own thing wherever he goes and we have to just tidy up behind him. Clearly the wire he chewed the other day was my partner's fault for not putting it in the wire protectors properly - Monty just saw a wire hanging around and wanted to be helpful and tidy it away And if I will knock my wedding present necklace onto the floor and not notice, well, it's *his* floor, so he surely has the right to nibble through it if he chooses... If he confines his destruction to things I can replace, I'm happy! (The hamster was never this destructive *sigh*)

(((Vegan_Bunny))) I'm really sorry you're having such a difficult time. I don't know enough to say myself, but could you perhaps look at spraying a smell the bunnies don't like (but that you can stand) over your duvet to try and deter them? We have just given up with Monty and accepted the inevitable, but I understand how frustrating it can be having to change the bed all the time.

Is it mendable?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Is it mendable?
    Alas no, not in its current form. But I have two from the same day, so I have one I can keep as an "original", and I should be able to salvage the charm from this one if I can find a chain. I've always been so careful not to leave them in Monty-reach because they're a cord chain not a metal one, so it was my fault for not noticing I'd knocked it off (though I think I may have done it in my sleep). I should really get around to buying a jewellery stand - more bunny proofing!

I think, Vegan_Bunny, your frustration is completely understandable - dealing with it day after day can be so wearing - but unfortunately, it may be a case of either accepting it and tidying up around them, or removing them. I know it's all too easy to become annoyed with them; I seem to daily turn round and say "No! You're just a pest!" in a strict tone to one of the animals round here. The question you have to answer is whether the benefits are worth persevering with this. What will you do if you really can't bear to keep them in the bedroom?

You have to do what is best for you and them, and that's a call only you can make. But if venting on here makes it easier to cope with them, I think everyone with an indoor bunny can sympathise with how annoying they can be!

Wise Old Thumper Barn Yard Bunnies's Avatar

My Mr B lived in our bedroom for six years. We had to get rid of everything electric and had nothing plugged in. He had a dog crate but was never locked in. An antique bed legs were chewed badly so replaced with a metal bed and also bought a metal bedside table. I had to accept Mr Bennett was going to chew whatever he wanted, especially as he was a dental bunny. Admittedly he didn't pee on our bed but when he was younger he chewed the buttons off the mattress. You have to accept this is what is going to happen, occasionally something good like a leather jacket or Calvin Klein shirt was chewed because OH forgot to put it away but we had to laugh about it because Mr B doesn't know it's a designer shirt or good jacket, antique bed, built in wardrobe or cable for the installed heating. I had to not care about any material items he could access because these items can be replaced. If it is stressing you so much can they not go outside ?

I missed my appointment on Monday with Fiver (totally forgot) so took both Fiver and SF up today. I feel awful. Fiver has lost quite a bit of weight and now weighs 1.5kg..the lowest he's ever been so now I'm thinking the weeing in the bed is a symptom of something going on. The vet who does his acupuncture wasn't worried because he's 10 but I really think getting bloods done is a must. What do you all think? Just to top it off they're overdue for their vacs and SF needs a dental. I'm so stressed out. I've applied for job seekers allowance today...although, I don't want a job since I'm doing the dog walking but I think I'll have to get a part time one again. SF doesn't desperately need a dental but since she did stop eating for a few hours the other day, she needs it sooner rather than later. I also need to get the new VHD2 vac done and I just have no idea where I'm meant to get the money from.
    Last edited by Vegan_Bunny; 09-08-2017 at 10:16 PM.