Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bar biting and weeing on the bed. About to strangle the rabbits!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan_Bunny View Post
    Hi. I've had a busy day today. They've been bar biting on an off when I've been in and last night bar bit for a few hours then stopped.
    They aren't penned in. If I can figure out how, I'll post a pic up of my bedroom.
    Just been catching up VB.

So they're free range, and you have the pen around the bed to stop access to the bed. Otherwise they can go where they please in the bedroom.

All I can suggest is they don't get the apple branches left down all the time. They only get these over night to keep them entertained.
    You could also put a tray beside one of the pens, full of hay and dried forage to create an indoor forage box that they may use instead of chewing.
    Another thing would be to ensure dinner is a challenge. Hang veg up where possible (not on the bars) so they have to work for it. Use food balls if you don't already.

Do they often get sugary treats? I've noticed Phoebe becomes a right so & so after a high sugar treat like carrot, banana, blue Berry etc.

Lots of be good bunny vibes being sent your way x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan_Bunny View Post
    Hi. I've had a busy day today. They've been bar biting on an off when I've been in and last night bar bit for a few hours then stopped.
    They aren't penned in. If I can figure out how, I'll post a pic up of my bedroom.

Unless you're one of the rare folk who can make photo bucket work for you, people seem to be using Imgur.

Good luck

I can't upload the pic since I'm only on my phone and I won't use Imgur again lol. DaphnePhoebe described the setup right. They don't jump on my bed throughout the night but on a morning Fiver sits on my bed until I wake up. This was fine until he started pooing all over my bed a few months ago. Him peeing on my bed whilst I'm in it is a new thing and is most likely due to the fact that he can't do it during the day. This morning whenever I felt him jump up, I pushed him back off again. After about 10 times he finally got the message...not after leaving 6 or 7 poos, though. So irritating. They've bar bit for a while tonight again but didn't seem quite as persistent.
    They don't get treats or veg. Only fresh forage when I have the time to collect it from my garden. They've been getting fresh willow twigs with the leaves still on, though. I can't leave the apple branch overnight...they bang it off the floor repeatedly and wake me up. It's a large branch but they still manage it. At feeding time, I either give them it in a treat ball or scatter it about the room so they have to spend time finding it. I hide it all over so they have run around and jump on things or hop through their tunnel to get it.
    The box with forage and whatnot in near the bars is a good idea. I may try that. Only thing is they will probably just use it as another litter tray, which means them digging it out will be disgusting. But it's something else to try. I could deal with the destruction under my bed but not them using my bed as a litter tray. It's disgusting and really bothers me. It's nice not having to worry about my bed having to be stripped and my mattress flipped or having to go into the loft for the spare duvet whenever I come to bed. It's a pain dismantling the panels but it's worth it. I just feel bad that they have less space during the day.

VB I don't have any useful advice but wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and sorry you're having so much bunny trouble lately. I hope things settle down for you all soon. xxxx

Woke up to both Fiver and SF on my bes. Kicked them both off. Only 1 poo and only had to push Fiver off 5 or 6 times. Think they're finally getting it but I am missing morning cuddles with Fiver. I can't do that because I'll be rewarding him for jumping up. I usually wake up to Fiver licking my arms or my pillow. I'm hoping that if I break the habit of toileting on my bed that he'll be able to come onto my bed without messing everywhere.
    I am wondering if he's protesting because I've not spend much time with him lately. He's quite obsessed with me, despite having bunny company. He's just a weirdo.

I must admit, I'd never want bunnies to have absolute free range of the house - there is just too much opportunity for mischief and you feel like you're living in a bunny shed. When I had house bunnies they didn't (in theory) have access to all of it, but were always barging their way in to places they weren't supposed to go. They were shut in the kitchen at night though.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Harry hamster
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    I must admit, I'd never want bunnies to have absolute free range of the house - there is just too much opportunity for mischief and you feel like you're living in a bunny shed. When I had house bunnies they didn't (in theory) have access to all of it, but were always barging their way in to places they weren't supposed to go. They were shut in the kitchen at night though.

It can get out of hand, for sure

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    We've just given in gracefully to the notion that this is now the rabbit's flat which we live in only on his sufferance

My Fiver is also very human oriented, VB. He still adores Mimzy but seems to miss living in my bedroom with me. When Mimz is gone, we'll have to rearrange his habitat to fit in there somehow.

I was kind of wondering if maybe the behaviour your Fiver and SF were exhibiting was tied to a need for more attention, but I know they've been unsettled for awhile now and you always do so much for them, I can't imagine they are lacking in anything. Maybe they're still figuring out who's top bun since SF arrived?

But bunnies are smart cookies. They get the gist eventually when they see how it's to be. After all, they are tidier creatures even than cats, for the most part. They don't want to mess where they live. Mine used to be on a complete clean twice a day regimen and only due to financial constraints can I not still do that. They do get a bit narked if I don't show up on time in the evening to straighten up and that's when I usually find some bun-struction going on.

I hope things will start to calm down now. xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Monty's Human View Post
    We've just given in gracefully to the notion that this is now the rabbit's flat which we live in only on his sufferance

Nooo, that's not what you said to me this morning

It's *your* place