• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excess Caecals!

HMacU2

Warren Scout
Hello! I currently own two 9 month old mini lops (one neutered male and one neutered female). They generally get on very well, except the occasional disagreement. Recently I've been finding excess caecals in the shed and run.

They're currently fed unlimited Timothy hay which the nearly always finish - topped up twice daily and since switching to this hay, their poops have been fantastic. This is the diary bag I've bought and so far impressed! They also get pellets once daily in the evening - Science Selective adult which they've been on all their lives. Usually an eggcupful each. They have access to grass most days and occasional herbs (a couple times a week - no pattern with the herbs and caecals)

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this since switching to Timothy hay (the one you but online on the big 10kg bags)

Hello! I currently own two 9 month old mini lops (one neutered male and one neutered female). They generally get on very well, except the occasional disagreement. Recently I've been finding excess caecals in the shed and run.

They're currently fed unlimited Timothy hay which the nearly always finish - topped up twice daily and since switching to this hay, their poops have been fantastic. This is the diary bag I've bought and so far impressed! They also get pellets once daily in the evening - Science Selective adult which they've been on all their lives. Usually an eggcupful each. They have access to grass most days and occasional herbs (a couple times a week - no pattern with the herbs and caecals)

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this since switching to Timothy hay (the one you but online on the big 10kg bags)

Hi there - haven't seen you around for a wee while :wave:

I personally don't feed my rabbits (mini lops included!) one eggcup full per day, but one between two. The timothy hay, whilst of course containing calories, is good and free fed so shouldn't be an issue there.

Could you try (temporarily) cutting down the pellets and perhaps replacing with some bramble leaves, or other forage? It's more interesting to eat, takes longer, and perhaps will avert the excess caecal issue?

I realise that cutting the Selective down will mean only a few pellets each. A higher fibre and smaller pellet (hence more in half an egg cup :)) would be Oxbow Bunny Basics - I had a rabbit who did better in this respect when I changed him to those pellets.

Thank you Mighty Max! I cut back pellets last night to about an eggcup between them and today went out and got them willow branches (a tree came down where I work so it made for happy bunnies for mine and my friends!)

No excess caecals so far today so it may have been as simple as reducing pellets further!

I'm usually on the forum most days but rarely seem to post! 😊

Thank you Mighty Max! I cut back pellets last night to about an eggcup between them and today went out and got them willow branches (a tree came down where I work so it made for happy bunnies for mine and my friends!)

No excess caecals so far today so it may have been as simple as reducing pellets further!

I'm usually on the forum most days but rarely seem to post! 😊

Lucky Willow buns!

Sounds good - keep me posted as to how they get on.

I hope they didn't mug you though when they realised the pellets ran out too soon ....

Update: all good so far, although they're not impressed by the new diet, so I moved the run onto some fresh grass!

Update: all good so far, although they're not impressed by the new diet, so I moved the run onto some fresh grass!

Wow that's great news! Didn't expect them to be overjoyed though :)

I was thinking today that rabbits ought to come with a warning - 'Don't spoil me or it will be very hard to actually give me a good diet as I won't want to eat it once you've given me lots of other stuff'

Wow that's great news! Didn't expect them to be overjoyed though :)

I was thinking today that rabbits ought to come with a warning - 'Don't spoil me or it will be very hard to actually give me a good diet as I won't want to eat it once you've given me lots of other stuff'

That's so true!

Back