• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Second thoughts..

muchiemul

Young Bun
Hi, i have had rabbits for a long time and after losing my last two rescue rabbits (due to age and health) i decided not to have rabbits again. This lasted not long! and i started missing having them and decided to start looking at what rabbits were out there to be rescued. This i found more difficult tjan i thought as i could not find any local rabbits or the ones that were available further away said that they needed to be with older children (i have a two year old!) So.. (please dont hate me) i have decided to get two babies (male) although now i have come back on here i now feel guilty that i am not rescuing and that the fact that they are both male -it may all go wrong.? :-( any advice greatfully appreciated! X mich

Hi :wave: First of all I would say that it is not up to anyone else where your rabbits come from and I certainly would not condemn you for getting babies :) All rabbits are wonderful :love:

In my peronal view it is much easier to get a bonded pair from a rescue, not only because they are already bonded, but also because the neutering has been done successfully and so I wouldn't have the stress of that. Also, it is easier to establish the characters of rabbits once they're past neutering. As you've had rescue rabbits in the past you are also aware of the rescue versus breeder arguments.

However, it is possible to have two baby bucks and bond them successfully. You would need to be aware as they mature sexually, when they needed to be neutered to prevent aggression or fighting between the two. If fighting occured, they would obviously have to be separated and then kept apart for a few weeks until after their hormone levels had dropped, when they could be re-bonded.

It's a pity that there were no rescues locally that would be happy for you to re-home because of your young child. I expect you are aware that several rescues would rehome nationally.

I hope that it works out for you with your new rabbits. Let us know how you get on :)

Hi there :)

Like Omi said really, I would never criticise anyone for getting babies, they are hard to resist. But it does have the potential for a lot more work and potential issues than a bonded pair from a rescue. It's a shame you haven't been able to find any rescue that will rehome to you.

If you do go ahead, then I think as long as you are prepared for neutering, rebonding etc, then hopefully it will work out fine.

Good luck x

I know some people have successfully bonded males, but personally I would go for opposite sexes. If possible I would get a bonded pair from a rescue - no problems with neutering or bonding, but you must do what suits you.

It's worth following the link "Rabbit Rehome" - lots of bonded pairs in lots of rescues in different areas.

I agree that it is much better, and easier, to adopt a pair that are already well bonded, from a rescue.

It also works out a lot cheaper in the long run as those from a rescue will already be neutered and vaccinated.

I would never condemn anyone from buying elsewhere though!

Thank you for your replies. I have thought long and hard about this and i have constantly reseached getting bunnies. I am gonna take a chance with the boys and get then done asap. Fingers crossed they are good and will have a good life with my family! Thanks again and i will post some updates �� x

I impulse bought Frosty and Snowflake from a rescue. They are both bucks (brothers) they fell out once I had them neutered (my fault for putting them back together too soon after said op).

I was advised to keep them apart, no sight, sound or smell of each other for a few weeks. It worked. I rebonded them on neutral territory and added two bonded does from a rescue. They have all four been happily bonded for four years now.

I hope it all works out for your boys. Go slowly ie be patient about letting them have plenty of time after their neuters to let the hormones die down before trying to bond them. There are loads of brilliant bonding threads on here. Best of luck.

Back