• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neurological issues.

I am doing this daily.
Do you, Jane/ max, think I should add in a penicillin injection?

I would discuss that option with the Vet. In some cases Penicillin injections can be of some benefit. But again that is not always the case. Another option could be Azithromycin. Although I have my own reservations about this abx many people have had it prescribed for a Rabbit with Otitis Media and it has been beneficial for some of them. Many Exotics Vets use it and think highly of it.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Azithromycin.htm

''Azithromycin has been reported to reach high
tissue concentrations and bioavailability (98%) in
rabbits. Azithromycin has a broad spectrum of
action against Gram positive and Gram negetive
bacteria and both aerobic and anaerobic
organisms. Azithromycin may, therefore, be
efficacious over a wide range of infections in
rabbits because it has been shown to be effecitive
in treating Staphylococcus spp., Streptococcus spp.,
Haemophilus spp., Pasteurella spp., Clostridium spp.,
Bacteroides spp., Mycoplasma spp., Toxoplasma spp.,
and other common pathogens.''

Full text here:

http://www.exoticpetmedicine.com/article/S1557-5063(16)30173-2/pdf

If ear infection is suspected I defo would try penecillian injections. My Cody had head tilt with ear infection and it made a massive difference and he fully recovered from the tilt. . Just to dd that eatting pellets can s sore for a bun if they have an ear infection so I used to soften the pellets in a ltitle warm water and he would eat them then.

Hi :)

I also have a bunny with head tilt from a deep inner ear infection. We ended up having to go down the surgical route to our boy but i've seen many rabbits recover with meds alone.

Baytril is certainly not the best choice if inner ear is suspected as it doesn't cover anaerobic bacteria. Injectable Penicillin, Doxycycline and Azithromax have been known to work well though so i'd give one of those a shot. Treatment should be long and aggressive and antibiotics shouldn't be stopped too soon.

A suitable setup can also help head tilt bunnies quite a lot. Wide open spaces can confuse them, the wrong flooring can send them off balance and picking them up can send everything spinning and actually hinder recovery. If possible medicate/cuddle on the floor and keep all four feet on the ground!

I'm quite active on the Head Tilt group on fb so hopefully we will speak more on there!

xx

Things haven't been great. Sadly her companion, Domino died last week. A pm showed he had tumours in his liver and lungs. He'd been in the vet in May for tests because he was losing weight, but nothing showed up in bloods, x-rays or scans. His weight then settled and he was eating and his usual self, he was busy looking after Mocha most of the time.
It hit all of us badly and her tilt appeared to get worse again. On Monday I feared I would have to let her go as she had nystagmus again and was just lying when she fell over. I've completely redesigned her living space and I'm regularly offering her water ( she's not able to drink from a bowl now). I expected to find her dead the next morning, instead she was sitting washing her face ( as best she could) when I went in. She's drinking a lot and I was worried it was almost a reflex action, but when I tried to offer critical care she spat it out!
I doing gentle Physio and she's more stable now, still rolls if she falls over but manages to get back up.
I know don't know what to do, I 'think' she would be better with company but I don't want to upset her either. I don't know if I should wait or start now?
I do have Godfrey, who is an older dwarf lop, Who is laid back like Domino was, so I could try him, I just don't know.

Things haven't been great. Sadly her companion, Domino died last week. A pm showed he had tumours in his liver and lungs. He'd been in the vet in May for tests because he was losing weight, but nothing showed up in bloods, x-rays or scans. His weight then settled and he was eating and his usual self, he was busy looking after Mocha most of the time.
It hit all of us badly and her tilt appeared to get worse again. On Monday I feared I would have to let her go as she had nystagmus again and was just lying when she fell over. I've completely redesigned her living space and I'm regularly offering her water ( she's not able to drink from a bowl now). I expected to find her dead the next morning, instead she was sitting washing her face ( as best she could) when I went in. She's drinking a lot and I was worried it was almost a reflex action, but when I tried to offer critical care she spat it out!
I doing gentle Physio and she's more stable now, still rolls if she falls over but manages to get back up.
I know don't know what to do, I 'think' she would be better with company but I don't want to upset her either. I don't know if I should wait or start now?
I do have Godfrey, who is an older dwarf lop, Who is laid back like Domino was, so I could try him, I just don't know.

I am very sorry about Domino :cry:

I can understand your worries about attempting to bond Mocha. Does she live indoors now ? I dont think I'd attempt to bond such a debilitated Rabbit, but I dont know Mocha and you do. Also, other Rabbits can find a 'wonky Rabbit' scary, especially if they roll. So this could complicate a new bond.

I am so sorry to hear about Domino :(

I would give it a few days before attempting to bond Mocha, to see how she goes with the physio you are doing on her. Godfrey sounds like he could be a suitable companion, and if Mocha seems stable over a few more days, I would attempt a bonding.

I think it will lift her spirits and give her a reason to get up in the morning :)

Mocha is always in doors and at the moment is in a small run with a plastic dog bed. Since Domino passed she has pretty much stopped trying to move around. She's still very feisty and is still very strong for such a wee thing. I sometimes think I'm being cruel but I want to give her a chance and see if she can cope in time.

Mocha is always in doors and at the moment is in a small run with a plastic dog bed. Since Domino passed she has pretty much stopped trying to move around. She's still very feisty and is still very strong for such a wee thing. I sometimes think I'm being cruel but I want to give her a chance and see if she can cope in time.

When my 13 year old blind and arthritic lady lost her partner, she began not to move around as much. There was a spark gone from her and she sounds like Mocha, not going anywhere.

With a companion (she loved to boss her husbuns around) she would once again go around the house and check up on him wherever he went. She had a reason to get up and move.

She was also extremely feisty and strong! :)

If you place her out of her cage in a slightly larger area does she just fall over and roll ?

I cant remember what medication she is currently on, does it include something like

Meclizine

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meclizine.htm

Cyclizine

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cyclizine.htm

or Procloperazine

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Procloperazine.htm

She doesn't fall over and roll all the time, it's usually after I've done something with her- meds, water, eye drops etc- and often that's because she fights me when I put her down and she becomes unbalanced. She is keeping her bum clean and can sit up and lick the side her head is bent to, I've even seen her lick the opposite side, but I she knows I'm around she stops. The nystagmus is much better now, and she's passing droppings.
She's on metacam, Betamox ( penicillin), trimethoprim and panacur. She gets lubrithal to help keep her eyes lubricated.

She doesn't fall over and roll all the time, it's usually after I've done something with her- meds, water, eye drops etc- and often that's because she fights me when I put her down and she becomes unbalanced. She is keeping her bum clean and can sit up and lick the side her head is bent to, I've even seen her lick the opposite side, but I she knows I'm around she stops. The nystagmus is much better now, and she's passing droppings.
She's on metacam, Betamox ( penicillin), trimethoprim and panacur. She gets lubrithal to help keep her eyes lubricated.

Perhaps you could ask the Vet about the Meclizine, Cyclizine or Procloperazine ? In some cases this type of medication can reduce the dizziness x

It sounds like your vet has her on a very good protocol at the moment :thumb:

I can't remember whether you're on this list Halfpenny?

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

She's been much more stable as the week goes on. Still not leaving the dog bed and having to be syringed water, but maintained her weight again this week. It's just her water intake that's the problem and lack of mobility. I think I'm going to try bonding her with Godfrey, I slow bond so hopefully it won't be to traumatic for her.

She's been much more stable as the week goes on. Still not leaving the dog bed and having to be syringed water, but maintained her weight again this week. It's just her water intake that's the problem and lack of mobility. I think I'm going to try bonding her with Godfrey, I slow bond so hopefully it won't be to traumatic for her.

If you are near a vet you could get some sub-cut fluids into her. Or ask the vet for the kit to do it yourself.

I would do the bonding too. It sounds very gentle and will give her a focus in her life :)

I am pleased to hear that she appears somewhat more stable. As she is quite immobile and has a poor water intake are you checking her wee output? Immobility can lead to a build up of 'bladder sludge', this being exacerbated if the Bun is not drinking well. Personally I'd want to get that issue checked out before attempting a bond. Giving some SQ fluids may be helpful, I am sure you have done that several times before.

I hope that she does not find the bonding too stressful and that she does not roll too much.Stress can make rolling more of an issue, as you know. I am sure you will also know if it is not safe to continue and I guess you wont know if it will work out unless you try.

Best of luck and I hope Mocha that remains as well as possible xx

Just a quick update. Over the last few days, Mocha has been venturing out of her dog bed and exploring her small run, even interacting with Godfrey, who is next door. She's also managing to drink for herself!
I have no idea now how long she has been on all the different meds, must look back but hopefully this is a turning point for her. Her tilt is still very severe but she's adapting and seldom falls over. She still gets a slight nystagmus when handled but it seems to rectify once she settles. Finders crossed this is the turning point for her!

Just a quick update. Over the last few days, Mocha has been venturing out of her dog bed and exploring her small run, even interacting with Godfrey, who is next door. She's also managing to drink for herself!
I have no idea now how long she has been on all the different meds, must look back but hopefully this is a turning point for her. Her tilt is still very severe but she's adapting and seldom falls over. She still gets a slight nystagmus when handled but it seems to rectify once she settles. Finders crossed this is the turning point for her!

I really hope so !!

Mocha definitely is a bun with spirit :D

I really hope this is the turning point, and that there's no looking back for her, only onwards and upwards :D

Back