Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, feeling like I don't want my rabbits :(

Default Help, feeling like I don't want my rabbits :(

This is hard to write, please be gentle!

We've had our rabbits almost 7 years now, and before we had a baby they were our babies. We spent time with them and interacted with them. They got more than the bare minimum. I'm sad to say this is not the case anymore Don't get me wrong, they are looked after, fed, etc. and they still have tons of room. But they aren't getting the attention they used to and I'm starting to resent them being there and having to look after them. They have a big bedroom all to themselves, but it's a mess, hay and fur everywhere, it's a pain in the **** to keep tidy. They've ruined the carpet and the floorboard in the corner near their litterbox.

I hate admitting to all this. I just don't know what to do. I can't bear the thought of them actually leaving us, but I'm struggling to find the time and desire to look after them properly

Has anyone been through this?

Warren Scout

Has anything changed in your life to make you feel like this? I know that when I changed my job it felt like I had much less time but I just had to adapt. Are you feeling run down or under the weather? I haven't felt how you do about my rabbits but I did feel like it towards my dogs several years ago. It felt like the joy they gave me was very minimal in return for the hard work it was to clear up after them. I battled on though cause I knew that I would regret it if I rehomed them

I think it's mainly just that I had a baby just under 2 years ago. The time I was able to spend with them reduced drastically, and now I just find them a chore I struggle a bit with PND which I guess may affect my feelings towards the rabbits.

Warren Scout

Yes any kind of depression will definitely affect how you feel! Are they litter trained? I looked after my friends rabbits who aren't litter trained and it made me realise how easy mine are in comparison! I cleaned all 6 of mine in the same time to do her 2!! Maybe try to look at ways to reduce the cleaning time

I can completely understand feeling this way, although I might not like to admit it, its a feeling I have gone through exactly, I have a 13 month old son and since he was born I haven't taken as big a role in Milo and Finn's care as I used to, it's just been the nature of the beast for us.

My partner now gets up in the mornings and sweeps them up and gives them their hay,pellet and water and makes sure they are OK, I only really ever get time to cast my eyes on them in the evenings. He even changes their litter tray as we got into this habit when I was pregnant. I still do the nail clipping and grooming etc.

Would it make you feel better to maybe make yourself a schedule? This is what I did, I set aside Thursday evenings where I will go out just for half an hour to an hour and give them a really good groom and look over and will sit with them for a bit and just do some things with them. My partner agreed that I could do this and he would watch our baby for a little bit while I did it. He also takes our baby on a walk Friday or Saturday morning so I can hoover and clean them fully each week.

I know people love their animals, but I think its more than fair to admit that you have other priorities now. I can empathize completely with that. I guess you need to weigh up if you can manage with them, if you can, great, if you can't, then something will have to change, but nobody can tell you what to do, it has to be your choice.
    x

Join the UK Rabbit Group on Facebook, following RWAF welfare messages and loving rabbits all around!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/UkRabbitGroup/

When my children were little, I had 2 cats but no small furries. The cats were easy to look after, I just fed them and interacted with them as and when they wanted it.

BUT, I know I would have struggled with cleaning out/feeding/exercising rabbits with a baby to look after as well. We didn't get a rabbit again until my children were about 7 and 10.

If you are finding it so hard then now maybe the best time to surrender them to a rescue. There is no shame in this, it is much better to get help with the rabbits before it really gets too much for you.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing xx

Please don't be too hard on yourself, understandably since having a baby your priorities have changed.

We have 9 rabbits now, but none while the children were babies, but I can imagine that on top of having a young child to look after, it must feel like a 'chore'. I wouldn't worry too much that you have less time to spend with them, as they do have each other and a large space.

However, it's going to be difficult to not feel resentful of the mess, unless things can change. We have one indoor rabbit, who has the run of my daughters bedroom and there's always hay everywhere, but he is really good using litter trays. One thing that's worked really well is having the trays inside a cage (which is left open) so any stray wee ends up in the tray rather than on the floor. Do you use any covering on the carpet? We use Lino, which at first covered practically the whole room, but we've been able to move it to just one area now because he's pretty reliable.

Do you have any help with the rabbits? Or do you feel like it's all left to you to do?

Do they have time in an outside run, or are they solely indoor rabbits? I find that while he's outside, I can at least give things a good clean up and enjoy it looking nice, while it lasts. Have you thought about moving them outside, if all else fails? Or do you think it might not be right for them if they've always lived inside?

I don't think there's anything wrong in admitting to feeling this way. Hopefully there's something that can be done to make the situation better for everyone x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Don't feel guilty, do you have a garden, just an idea I'd yuou where to keep them could you set up a Wendy house and run home for them, that way your home won't be stressful with to deal with carpets etc ?

Wise Old Thumper

What *lily* says, and what mini lop 1 says, too.
    Back in the day, people would have dropped on you from a great height for saying that now you have a baby, the rabbits have become a chore. Nowadays, there are people about who are far more reasonable. Whatever you decide, don't feel guilty or blame yourself. Life changes, people change.
    Last edited by happybun; 04-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.

It's probably common to feel like a lot of things are a chore if you've had a baby and PND! Or for anyone else that's going through a rough patch, feeling stressed and having time consuming things going on etc. Many people even feel like taking care of the baby is a chore and a 24/7 job where they never get to do anything else, which is perfectly natural to feel as well.

So I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting this and reckon it's a lot more common than you think It's up to you to do what you think is best and make sure you won't regret it when you're feeling better. Maybe right now you could see if there's any changes you could make and see if that helps?