• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twinkle [emoji92] has got the same thing as Ghibli

ghibli

Warren Scout
3 weeks ago Ghibli died after a very short illness. He stopped eating, wasn't lethargic but lost interest in everything, and he felt cold to the touch.

Twinkle [emoji92] was absolutely fine until last night. She's now showing the exact same symptoms. She won't eat, she's hidden herself away under the stool where she sleeps [her veggies from last night untouched], and she won't let me stroke her or [but that could just be because she's ****** off with me]

I know that there's probably nothing anyone can do, and I'm taking her to the vets this morning [they open at 8:30 am].

I've put some fresh hay by her stoll where she can reach in case she wants to eat, but I don't have a good feeling.

I really just wanted to warn everyone that I don't think it was stasis that killed Ghibli, and that there could be some kind if horrible illness going round.

If anyone knows anything at all please message me!

That photo of her was taken the day before yesterday [emoji22]
ad85d7a5331962d13665a1db1a62ab22.jpg

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Twinkle. I'm sorry she's not eating :(

I hope the the vet appointment goes well and that a diagnosis can be established. I can understand your thinking that she has the same illness as Ghibli, but not eating in a rabbit is a common symptom of so many rabbit illnesses and so it may just be a coincidence that it's happening so soon after Ghibli.

Sending lots of vibes for Twinkle. I'm sorry she's not eating :(

I hope the the vet appointment goes well and that a diagnosis can be established. I can understand your thinking that she has the same illness as Ghibli, but not eating in a rabbit is a common symptom of so many rabbit illnesses and so it may just be a coincidence that it's happening so soon after Ghibli.

I agree, I hope that the Vet can help Twinkle to feel better very soon x

3 weeks ago Ghibli died after a very short illness. He stopped eating, wasn't lethargic but lost interest in everything, and he felt cold to the touch.

Twinkle [emoji92] was absolutely fine until last night. She's now showing the exact same symptoms. She won't eat, she's hidden herself away under the stool where she sleeps [her veggies from last night untouched], and she won't let me stroke her or [but that could just be because she's ****** off with me]

I know that there's probably nothing anyone can do, and I'm taking her to the vets this morning [they open at 8:30 am].

I've put some fresh hay by her stoll where she can reach in case she wants to eat, but I don't have a good feeling.

I really just wanted to warn everyone that I don't think it was stasis that killed Ghibli, and that there could be some kind if horrible illness going round.

If anyone knows anything at all please message me!

That photo of her was taken the day before yesterday [emoji22]
ad85d7a5331962d13665a1db1a62ab22.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I shall certainly let you know if I hear of anything :)

How did you get on at the vet with Twinkle?

The vet said that Ghibli dying was bad luck, and she's pretty sure it wasn't a virus. She said rabbits are really good at hiding symptoms, and even though he looked OK, he could have already been really weak before I even noticed, and got him treatment.

She's kept Twinkle [emoji92] in for treatment, feeding, and observation. After Ghibli I just don't feel confident feeding her, also Twinkle hates being picked up, so a vet stands a much better chance.

All being well I'm picking her up at six, so if anyone out there believes in anything at all, please say a prayer for her.

Counting the rescue centre, she's been through five different homes before I got her, so this is technically his sixth home [I think].

She doesn't deserve this! She was, ironically, kind of happy that she was suddenly getting all the attention, but I've been really depressed because of Ghibli dying, and I haven't been eating or sleeping properly, and I keep falling asleep when I'm playing with her.

The vet said that it's all in my head, and that she's not angry with me because I've been falling asleep.

All of this was so much easier when I didn't question everything.

Despite what everyone says about me anthropomorphizing my rabbit's, before I got Twinkle [emoji92] she bit anyone who tried to pick her up, and had to be exercised separately from other rabbits. Even though Ghibli and Twinkle [emoji92] weren't as close as some bonded pairs, they never didn't fought, and always groomed each other.

Today in the vets office she jumped into my arms, but now I don't trust my instincts anymore, and even though the vet said I do a really good job carrying for my rabbit's [rabbit now I suppose] I don't know what to think anymore?

P. S. Thank you for all your kind thoughts and words.

Barry [emoji195]

Last edited:
(((ghibli)))

I'm afraid I have no words of advice, but I'll leave those hugs there if you want them. It's really hard when you start to doubt yourself. But my rule of thumb has always been - if you're worrying about being good enough (for anything) you're already good. It's those who don't care enough to worry who will have the problems.

I hope she comes home well from the vet, and the vet is able to reassure you.

I hope twinkle makes a swift recovery, your vet will keep a really good eye on her.

You can see if twinkle will eat the critical care food without you having to force her - some rabbits do.

Sending lots of get well vibes for Twinkle :love:
It could be that she is also depressed about losing Ghibli now she has realised he isn't coming back. I wouldn't doubt yourself, you sound like a great bunny dad.
xx

The vet said that Ghibli dying was bad luck, and she's pretty sure it wasn't a virus. She said rabbits are really good at hiding symptoms, and even though he looked OK, he could have already been really weak before I even noticed, and got him treatment.

She's kept Twinkle [emoji92] in for treatment, feeding, and observation. After Ghibli I just don't feel confident feeding her, also Twinkle hates being picked up, so a vet stands a much better chance.

All being well I'm picking her up at six, so if anyone out there believes in anything at all, please say a prayer for her.

Counting the rescue centre, she's been through five different homes before I got her, so this is technically his sixth home [I think].

She doesn't deserve this! She was, ironically, kind of happy that she was suddenly getting all the attention, but I've been really depressed because of Ghibli dying, and I haven't been eating or sleeping properly, and I keep falling asleep when I'm playing with her.

The vet said that it's all in my head, and that she's not angry with me because I've been falling asleep.

Despite what everyone says about me anthropomorphizing my rabbit's, before I got Twinkle [emoji92] she bit anyone who tried to pick her up, and had to be exercised separately from other rabbits. Even though Ghibli and Twinkle [emoji92] weren't as close as some bonded pairs, they never didn't fought, and always groomed each other.

Today in the vets office she jumped into my arms, but now I don't trust my instincts anymore, and even though the vet said I do a really good job carrying for my rabbit's [rabbit now I suppose] I don't know what to think anymore?

Barry [emoji195]

Hopefully Twinkle will respond well to treatment today and she'll be able to return home to you later xx

Sending lots of get well vibes for Twinkle :love:
It could be that she is also depressed about losing Ghibli now she has realised he isn't coming back. I wouldn't doubt yourself, you sound like a great bunny dad.
xx
Thank you

Hopefully Twinkle will respond well to treatment today and she'll be able to return home to you later xx
I tried phoning them to find out how she is, but the vet wasn't available, and the only thing they could tell me was that she seemed quite bright. I'm really worried about not being able to syringe feed her, and giving her medication properly. I'm still worried that maybe I did something wrong and that somehow I killed Ghibli [emoji22]

Barry [emoji195]

Barry, grief takes all sorts of different forms, and different lengths of time to get over. If we ever do 'get over' a rabbit passing. I totally understand where you're coming from, and I for one, would never judge someone and say they were anthropomorphising. Life and death are difficult enough to deal with, and I think you're doing brilliantly. I am sorry though that you are still depressed. But many would be in your position.

Twinkle thinks you are special, and so do I. Of course rabbits know when they are being cared for and not just 'looked after'

You will be able to trust your instincts again, you really will. Until that day, Twinkle will be your leading light.

Vibes for her, I hope she comes home soon to be with you both x

Barry, grief takes all sorts of different forms, and different lengths of time to get over. If we ever do 'get over' a rabbit passing. I totally understand where you're coming from, and I for one, would never judge someone and say they were anthropomorphising. Life and death are difficult enough to deal with, and I think you're doing brilliantly. I am sorry though that you are still depressed. But many would be in your position.

Twinkle thinks you are special, and so do I. Of course rabbits know when they are being cared for and not just 'looked after'

You will be able to trust your instincts again, you really will. Until that day, Twinkle will be your leading light.

Vibes for her, I hope she comes home soon to be with you both x
Thank you [emoji22]

I tried phoning them to find out how she is, but the vet wasn't available, and the only thing they could tell me was that she seemed quite bright. I'm really worried about not being able to syringe feed her, and giving her medication properly. I'm still worried that maybe I did something wrong and that somehow I killed Ghibli [emoji22]

I am sure that is not the case, but I can understand that you feel as you do. When I loose a Rabbit I always question myself and go through a million 'what ifs'.

I hope that you now have Twinkle home and that she is feeling better x

Hi all,

Thanks for the support and all the really nice messages.

Twinkle [emoji92]'s home, and eating again, but the vet's given me "Metacam" and "Zantac" to give her oral, as well as feeding powder [all the same stuff Ghibli had].

I gave her her Zantac last night and she bit me, but she was OK.

This morning she was lying down and I picked up and gave her both, and she really hated it and is now back in her little cave under her stool where previously she was eating hay happily. So because if having to give her the medication she's gone from eating to not eating!

She's also bit be four or five times. In the entire time I've had her, even cutting her nails, she's never bittern me,

I'm worried that having to pick her up and force a syringe into her mouth is actually going to make everything worse rater than better!

She's now just hiding and sulking and won't take the treats I've given her to say sorry.

She's come out and she's eating hay now [but she's still not talking to me]. I'm sorry, I get really emotional about her!

She's come out and she's eating hay now [but she's still not talking to me]. I'm sorry, I get really emotional about her!

You are doing a great job in caring for her. Very few Rabbits enjoy being medicated and they sure know how to make us feel bad about giving it to them !!

It sounds as though Twinkle is well on her way to a good recovery now :D

You are doing a great job in caring for her. Very few Rabbits enjoy being medicated and they sure know how to make us feel bad about giving it to them !!

It sounds as though Twinkle is well on her way to a good recovery now :D
She is eating again, and she did let me stroke her after sulking for a while [emoji5] I hate doing it. It reminds me of Ghibli. I couldn't save him and it was only 3 weeks ago [emoji22] but I'm trying to not make her sad. I think was picking up off my depression, which could have been why she stopped eating in the fist place. So now I'm just trying to not let it take me over so that she's OK! I cup don't cope with loosing her as well!

Back