Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Poisonous plants...

  1. #11

    Default

    Can anyone say how bad rhododendron are? Ie would one bite at a leaf be a worry?

    I can't see Rhododendron on RWAF or RSPCA poison lists. They only seem to appear on the long lists of plants. I'm not saying the other lists are wrong.

    Just need to know how cautious we should be. We basically chase them off the rhododendron as soon as they are nearby.

    I'm keep doing this if such small quantities are 'safe' (I don't mean safe but you know what I mean).

    What would a rabbit do about these huge lists of poisonous plants in the wild I wonder?

  2. #12
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    As others have said it is very difficult to find definitive information on what is safe and not safe for rabbits. It seems clear that some lists are contradictory and some confusing.

    Personally, I "think" that many plants are listed as toxic or poisonous, when in fact they probably aren't or indeed it's only at certain times of the year or possibly just one part of the plant is an issue.

    I would imagine that rabbits in the wild might be more confident about what is safe and what isn't. It may just be that toxic plants do not taste right to some rabbits. Again, it's very difficult to find out for sure.

    I have looked on several websites, searching for Rhododendron and it's either not listed as either safe or unsafe or it is listed as unsafe. This accords with my understanding also that most if not all evergreens are not safe. If I am unsure about a new plant I err on the side of not feeding it if it appears on an unsafe list, where I have a degree of confidence in the information.

    My rabbits are not free range, but I am aware of unsafe leaves that are blown into their accommodation. Most of these they completely ignore, but not all. I do try to remove ones that I see.

    If it were me, I wouldn't let them eat Rhododendron. I just wouldn't want to take the risk. If they are nibbling it I would try to prevent them accessing the plant.

  3. #13
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,046

    Default

    Evergreens have a chemical within the leaves which causes them to be, well, evergreen. (it slows down the dehydration of the leaves/needles).

    This chemical means that the leaves etc are very indigestible and may cause problems of impaction etc.

    ETA: This may be why you're online finding it on some lists as to my knowledge not all are evergreen?
    (I wouldn't be concerned about a test nibble, but wouldn't allow them to eat it).

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daphnephoebe; 03-08-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •