• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Living side by side

LarryMolly

Warren Scout
This might be a silly question but I was wondering if it's ok to keep an unspayed female and a neutered male in separate pens (where they can't get to each other) in the same room if we plan to bond them in future? Will the hormones and behaviour from the unspayed female affect the future bond? Or will it be absolutely fine and a good chance for them to get to know each other's smells?

Poppy is booked in for a spay at the end of August so we'll bond them once her hormones settle.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could go either way. Some rabbits cope perfectly fine with this set up, others become very agitated and will try to fight through the bars.

Personally I would have them living side by side, but I'd ensure there is a little "no man's land" between each of their sections and make certain they can not jump the fence into each others sides.
Defiantly no mixing until 6 weeks after she's neutered. I assume he's been neutered for 6 weeks?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. I think in that case we'll give it a go and see how they react side by side. I wasn't sure so that's been helpful, thank you. Our male Larry has been neutered over a year and was previously bonded to Molly. Their bond hasn't worked out so we are rebonding both of them with new rabbits.

Thanks for this. I think in that case we'll give it a go and see how they react side by side. I wasn't sure so that's been helpful, thank you. Our male Larry has been neutered over a year and was previously bonded to Molly. Their bond hasn't worked out so we are rebonding both of them with new rabbits.

I hope it goes well and it's lovely you're bonding them both to other buns x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks daphnephoebe! We put them in the same room yesterday and so far so good. Larry very curious and has flopped against the edge next to 'no mans land' and Poppy seems oblivious to Larry and the change entirely - bless her.

Back