• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit run flooring advice please

We have a walk in run 4 metres by 2 metres was used years ago for chickens and has under mesh and thick gravel. We plan to use it for rabbits so the question is after removing the gravel what base can we use cannot afford concrete or paving but do have a steady supply of grass and fodder trays can supply tunnels and dig boxes etc grass could be an option but pretty sure it would just end up as mud so looking for suggestions as it cannot be moved and only half the roof is solid. Rubber gym flooring? Play bark ?

I would suggest turf or grass seed on the open area. It might work if you put a 2" layer of soil or compost on the gravel and sow grass seed straight on top.

Under the solid roof, paving or rubber stable matting would work. If cost is the main issue, can you use any reclaimed materials (eg paving from ebay). Or re-use wood from old pallets to make a solid decking area - I wouldn't bother moving the gravel as it would provide good drainage and deter digging underneath, as long as it was laid properly and fixed down so it doesn't move.

The main problem with the gravel is that the rabbits may find it uncomfortable to sit / stand on, and there may be issues with their hocks or toes due to uneven balance and wear on joints, etc. A more solid surface provides a more natural balance position for them, for sitting and running on. Long term issues with sore hocks and long nails can lead to other issues with hips and spine (eg arthritis). I wouldn't think that a small patch of gravel would be an issue, but they should be mainly on a more stable substrate.

Grass will (eventually) grow through gravel without much soil as long as it is open to the rain and sun. Any area that isn't open to the elements can be covered in old paving slabs or wood planks (maybe bedded on sand if needed) - as long as the rabbits can't get their legs trapped in any gaps and the structure doesn't move. I imagine that removing several tonnes of gravel is going to be hard work, and there's no treason why it can't just stay as a base for something else. It will also make it harder to dig through for the rabbits - and provide extra protection from predators digging in.

I'd be looking in the free ad sites and Facebook market as they're always people giving slabs away from free, whilst grass is great it does tend to turn to mud and would need to be underwired to make it predator proof

If you're anywhere near Nottingham and can wait until end of September I have some free concrete slabs (broken, ex-crazy paving) and could deliver :) I need to sort the garage first, they're right at the back!

Thank you all we have decided to remove gravel to check the under mesh and replace it if needed we do have rats around and it's 15-20 years old. We will replace some gravel around the inside edges. we have a large raised bed not ever used in the shed so will set that up as a grass garden then fill the rest with sand and loose lay some slabs when we can find some. Had a quote for someone to lay slabs and nearly had a heart attack lol. So now just waiting for a borrowed wheel barrow to arrive and the rain to stop and hoping to get it ready by the end of summer hols. But me on my own may take longer kids are happy to grow fodder trays, feed water, cuddle, go toy shopping and decorate etc but not volunteering for gravel digging lol

We have a walk in run 4 metres by 2 metres was used years ago for chickens and has under mesh and thick gravel. We plan to use it for rabbits so the question is after removing the gravel what base can we use cannot afford concrete or paving but do have a steady supply of grass and fodder trays can supply tunnels and dig boxes etc grass could be an option but pretty sure it would just end up as mud so looking for suggestions as it cannot be moved and only half the roof is solid. Rubber gym flooring? Play bark ?

Hi.
I would say that you could make the soil flat then put foam play mats down with a sheets on top so they can't eat the mats

Hope this helps :)

Back